Illinois Cruisers

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:09 AM.
Chicago, Illinois
989 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Based on recent postings it looks like we are looking at Dec 15th or Jan 5th. We also had a suggestion to consider Fridays.

So -
1. What I need to know is how many can do Dec 15th and how many can do Jan 5th?

2. Would Fridays work better for a majority of people? If so, what Fridays should we add to the list?

I'm still hopeful that we can do this!

How is everyone?

I just got back from a week on the Brilliance of the Seas and have to say that I was underwhelmed. I had a good time and met some great people but it simply wasn't Princess. I'm used to a level of service and amenities that just weren't there. And I have never seen passengers treated as rudely as I witnessed on that cruise. But I went to meet 2 ladies from an online group of solo cruisers that I belong to and it was worth it to get to do that. And they sure didn't do Trivia as well as Princess does it .

Did all the folks in the Chicago area get thru the high winds ok? We lost power 4 times yesterday due to the winds. At least it calmed down one the rain came through.

Melanie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melanie
Walk in Balance on Mother Earth

IL
4,481 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by PookyCat
Based on recent postings it looks like we are looking at Dec 15th or Jan 5th. We also had a suggestion to consider Fridays.

So -

2. Would Fridays work better for a majority of people? If so, what Fridays should we add to the list?

Melanie
December 15th - YES
January 5th - NO

Fridays work for us too. Lets see the response to those 2 Saturdays but also we also have some Fridays free.

Donna
Central Illinois
652 Posts
Joined Nov 2004

So -

I'm still hopeful that we can do this!

How is everyone?

I just got back from a week on the Brilliance of the Seas and have to say that I was underwhelmed. I had a good time and met some great people but it simply wasn't Princess. I'm used to a level of service and amenities that just weren't there. And I have never seen passengers treated as rudely as I witnessed on that cruise. But I went to meet 2 ladies from an online group of solo cruisers that I belong to and it was worth it to get to do that. And they sure didn't do Trivia as well as Princess does it .

Did all the folks in the Chicago area get thru the high winds ok? We lost power 4 times yesterday due to the winds. At least it calmed down one the rain came through.

Melanie
Hi Melanie, Good to have you back! Happy to hear you had a nice time on your cruise, even if it wasn't Princess! We wanted to let you know that we will be in northern IL January 4th and 5th, so either day that weekend would work great for us. We are looking forward to meeting everyone!

Jan & Wayne
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous cruises:
Regal Princess - b2b Caribbean - 01/08/2017; Regal Princess - NY to FLL Caribbean Repo - 10/27/16; Royal Princess - b2b Eastern/Southern Caribbean - 01/09/2015; Regal Princess - TA Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen - 04/15/2015; Golden Princess - RT LA to Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa - 04/01/2014; Royal Princess - maiden TA Venice to Ft. Lauderdale - 10/09/2013; Pacific Princess - RT Ft. Lauderdale to E. Caribbean - 01/17/2013; Star Princess - RT Seattle to Alaska Inside Passage - 9/9/2012; Island Princess - RT Ft. Lauderdale to Panama Canal - 1/28/2012; Golden Princess - RT LA to Hawaii - 12/7/2011; Caribbean Princess - RT NY to Eastern Caribbean - 9/26/2011
Chicago area
5,068 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
We just got back last Sat. night from our three weeks on the Caribbean Princess. We did avoid the storms, but missed lots of ports. Still had a good time. All was fine while gone, but while we were at the food store on Sunday afternoon our house was burgularized. So, our clothes are still not put away and I have been making lists of all that was stolen and damaged. Not a good welcome home.

December is pretty much out for us, but Jan. is fine and so are Friday nights.
Gail
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

IL
4,481 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by Hornet
We just got back last Sat. night from our three weeks on the Caribbean Princess. We did avoid the storms, but missed lots of ports. Still had a good time. All was fine while gone, but while we were at the food store on Sunday afternoon our house was burgularized. So, our clothes are still not put away and I have been making lists of all that was stolen and damaged. Not a good welcome home.

Gail
Hi Gail, Glad the cruise was great. I'm still upset that we couldn't go. It's a weird feeling being ready to go but never going.

How awful that your house burgularized. Hopefully nothing was taken or damaged that isn't replaceable.

January is out for us for a meet & greet. If the group does decide to do January hopefully we can have a 2nd meet & greet in the spring or summer.

Donna.
Central Illinois
652 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Anyone started looking at airfare to Venice yet? We will probably just fly into Venice on the 9th rather than go in early and spend a couple of days there. Since the ship doesn't leave till the 10th, I am assuming we will have some time to explore before sail away. I looked at Princess EZair, and they have a flight out the evening of the 8th through Dusseldorf that gets into Venice at 1:45 on the 9th. The return flight back from FLL dosn't leave until 6:45 PM though. At $837 pp, it didn't seem like too bad a deal, especially since going through Princess they will get us to the ship even if there is a travel delay.

Any final word yet on a get together?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous cruises:
Regal Princess - b2b Caribbean - 01/08/2017; Regal Princess - NY to FLL Caribbean Repo - 10/27/16; Royal Princess - b2b Eastern/Southern Caribbean - 01/09/2015; Regal Princess - TA Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen - 04/15/2015; Golden Princess - RT LA to Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa - 04/01/2014; Royal Princess - maiden TA Venice to Ft. Lauderdale - 10/09/2013; Pacific Princess - RT Ft. Lauderdale to E. Caribbean - 01/17/2013; Star Princess - RT Seattle to Alaska Inside Passage - 9/9/2012; Island Princess - RT Ft. Lauderdale to Panama Canal - 1/28/2012; Golden Princess - RT LA to Hawaii - 12/7/2011; Caribbean Princess - RT NY to Eastern Caribbean - 9/26/2011
Chicago, Illinois
989 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
First - I apologize for being AWOL. Life simply got in the way and I have been very, very busy. I know that is no excuse but it seems like things that I had plenty of time for in the past have simply slipped in priority.

I do wish everyone the joys of the season regardless of your spiritual path and hope the new year is a great one.

Gail
Gail - I am so sorry you were robbed! How awful. I hope that you have been to recover as best as possible.

Originally posted by Looney
Anyone started looking at airfare to Venice yet? We will probably just fly into Venice on the 9th rather than go in early and spend a couple of days there. Since the ship doesn't leave till the 10th, I am assuming we will have some time to explore before sail away. I looked at Princess EZair, and they have a flight out the evening of the 8th through Dusseldorf that gets into Venice at 1:45 on the 9th. The return flight back from FLL dosn't leave until 6:45 PM though. At $837 pp, it didn't seem like too bad a deal, especially since going through Princess they will get us to the ship even if there is a travel delay.

Any final word yet on a get together?
Currently we are planning on using Princess Air but their cost for business or first class is horrific. So after the first of the year I intend to begin doing some checking on my own. Several friends suggested booking to London, Paris or other key cities and connect to Venice from there. My main desire is to get a sleeper for the late flight from Chicago to where ever. Jen and I had a sleeper coming back from Hawaii and I actually managed to get several hours of sleep. That convinced me that the extra cost is worth it. I agree that the Princess cost for coach is really good but it will make for a miserable flight if the plane is full. Been there, done that - don't really want to do it again.

Regarding the get together - I've simply been thinking that maybe we should just wait until Spring. We do have a year in which to pull off one or more get togethers and I think getting away from all the holiday traffic might be a good idea. Plus we reduce the chance of weather affecting us .

How do you all feel about that? Or do we have enough to make trying for a meeting on January 5th worth it?

Melanie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melanie

IL
4,481 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Regarding the get together - I've simply been thinking that maybe we should just wait until Spring. We do have a year in which to pull off one or more get togethers and I think getting away from all the holiday traffic might be a good idea. Plus we reduce the chance of weather affecting us .

How do you all feel about that? Or do we have enough to make trying for a meeting on January 5th worth it?

Melanie
Hi Melanie,

Since we can't make it on January 5th I vote for waiting for the spring.

Hope everyone's holidays were wonderful & a very happy & healthy new year to all.

Donna
Chicago, Illinois
989 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I am also hoping that we can use this as a chat board as we prepare for the cruise. I have found the main thread to be difficult to keep up with as so many seem to already know each other. I think a smaller group to share info with might be easier for me to do .

So hopefully we can get this thread more active now that we are past the one-year mark.

What are you all planning for shore excursions?

Linda and I have booked several with Dee -
Messina
Naples
Cannes
Madeira
Our only Princess excursion so far is the one to Rome. It won't be easy - 10.5 hours - but at least we will get to see the highlights.

I hope to get back to Italy some day for a land tour with my daughter but for now what we do on this cruise will have to suffice.

Since we are a smaller group - is anyone interested in doing any group dinners at any of the specialty restaurants?

Melanie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melanie

Central Illinois
652 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
I am also hoping that we can use this as a chat board as we prepare for the cruise. I have found the main thread to be difficult to keep up with as so many seem to already know each other. I think a smaller group to share info with might be easier for me to do .

So hopefully we can get this thread more active now that we are past the one-year mark.

What are you all planning for shore excursions?
We were planning on being up there on the 5th, but now heading back home on the 4th, so maybe sometime later for a get together.

Melanie, I know what you meen about the long trip on a crowed plane. Even though we chose the coach (cheap) seating, the seating is 2-5-2, and we have the window seats so don't have to worry about being too cramped except by each other. Since we aren't planning on going in early, thought it better to stick with Princess for the guarantee.

Don't have any tours/excursions set up. It seems a little far off yet. But.... who knows, if something good comes along.

Wayne & Jan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous cruises:
Chicago, Illinois
989 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Jen and I were supposed to have seats like that on our 9 hour flight to Hawaii but they switched planes and suddenly we were 3-4-3 and I went from an aisle seat to the middle. I was not happy.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melanie

Chicago area
5,068 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
A spring get together is fine for me too. I want to hear about Donna's cruise to Hawaii. I want to do that one again and this time on the Golden with Eula/Elua? onboard. I wonder if Dave Cole will be your CD.

We booked the 12 day cruise that's before our Venice TA while onboard the Caribbean Princess last month. Not sure we'll keep it though since it is more expensive than the TA. That's why I'm holding off on the flights. Last couple times we used Best Travel and got ok rates, but they've all gone up now and Venice is pricey from Chicago and nothing non-stop. If we keep the first cruise, we'll fly to Barcelona and that costs less than Venice. Found another good site called 1800FlyEurope.

I haven't been on our roll call much this time since it is really too big. I will get back to it when we get closer. Lots of chat about the cabins and some changes being made. I wish I knew if our balcony was covered. Anyone know how to find out?

Happy New Year everyone, Gail
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

IL
4,481 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
A spring get together is fine for me too. I want to hear about Donna's cruise to Hawaii. I want to do that one again and this time on the Golden with Eula/Elua? onboard. I wonder if Dave Cole will be your CD.

We booked the 12 day cruise that's before our Venice TA while onboard the Caribbean Princess last month. Not sure we'll keep it though since it is more expensive than the TA. That's why I'm holding off on the flights. Last couple times we used Best Travel and got ok rates, but they've all gone up now and Venice is pricey from Chicago and nothing non-stop. If we keep the first cruise, we'll fly to Barcelona and that costs less than Venice. Found another good site called 1800FlyEurope.

I haven't been on our roll call much this time since it is really too big. I will get back to it when we get closer. Lots of chat about the cabins and some changes being made. I wish I knew if our balcony was covered. Anyone know how to find out?

Happy New Year everyone, Gail
Yes Elua & David Cole will be onboard for our cruise. We sailed with them all in October 2009 on the Golden. Our 2nd Hawaii cruise was in March on the Sapphire & David Cole was the CD but no Elua. It was a great cruise but I missed all the Hawaiian live music etc... I'm really excited to sail with them all again. We weren't planning on going back to Hawaii again so soon but it was the easiest longer cruise to plan at the last minute. Princess must of felt sorry for us for our cancelled cruise since we also got a upsell to a suite that was impossible to resist. I can't wait to finally get away. I think after this season that Elua are moving to the Star in the fall.

Gail we thought about booking the 12 day cruise before at the same time we booked the TA but after pricing it decided to pass on it. We do have our airfare already unfortunately its the 3/3/3 setup but we did upgrade the longer flight to Venice to economy plus. We are also staying 4 nights pre-cruise in Venice & I'd already booked my air before I realized how much those 4 nights are costing us. It's our 1st trip to Europe so may as well live it up. Took me a long time to convince Mike to go so who knows how soon we will go back again.

I do agree the main thread is way to large to keep up with all the time. Let me know if you find if the balconies are covered. I'd like to know the answer to it to that too.

Donna
Chicago, Illinois
989 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Dave Cole just tweeted that he is getting ready to do his last cruise on the Sapphire - after that he heads back to the Golden. He it's by far the best CD I have cruised with.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melanie

Chicago area
5,068 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Hi Everyone ~ Well, we just cancelled these two cruises for October and booked the Crown t/a instead. I am sad not to be sailing with all of you and our other friends on this cruise. But, we've done this cruise twice and decided to visit places we haven't been yet. I still look forward to sailing the Royal - maybe just a quick Caribbean in the winter.

Are any of you interested in taking our the luncheon I am in charge of? I thought I'd mention it here first before I ask on the roll call. Also, I will be cancelling two nights pre-cruise at Locanda Orseolo.

Donna, have fun in Hawaii. We leave the beginning of March for a road trip to Florida for a few weeks.

Gail
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

IL
4,481 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Hi Everyone ~ Well, we just cancelled these two cruises for October and booked the Crown t/a instead. I am sad not to be sailing with all of you and our other friends on this cruise. But, we've done this cruise twice and decided to visit places we haven't been yet. I still look forward to sailing the Royal - maybe just a quick Caribbean in the winter.

Are any of you interested in taking our the luncheon I am in charge of? I thought I'd mention it here first before I ask on the roll call. Also, I will be cancelling two nights pre-cruise at Locanda Orseolo.

Donna, have fun in Hawaii. We leave the beginning of March for a road trip to Florida for a few weeks.

Gail
Gail, So sorry to hear you won't be joining us on this cruise. I do understand your reasons. This being our 1st trip to Europe I already know if I went back again I'd want to see other places especially with the flights & expense involved in a trip like this. That's one of the reasons we decided to go 4 nights pre cruise to make sure we saw it all. Its different than the caribbean or Hawaii which is an easy trip & we will go again. The cruise you are taking is the one I originally wanted to do the reserve trip in April but family weddings that month didn't work out with the TA dates. One of the weddings in April is in Memphis & we are talking about making that a road trip too. It's been awhile since we did one of those.

I'm all packed & ready to go. It's been 10 months since our last cruise. That's way too long.

Maybe when we get back we could meet you & Tom for dinner or even lunch. Mikes not working right now so we are pretty flexible.

Donna
Chicago, Illinois
989 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Solara
Yes Elua & David Cole will be onboard for our cruise. We sailed with them all in October 2009 on the Golden. Our 2nd Hawaii cruise was in March on the Sapphire & David Cole was the CD but no Elua. It was a great cruise but I missed all the Hawaiian live music etc... I'm really excited to sail with them all again. We weren't planning on going back to Hawaii again so soon but it was the easiest longer cruise to plan at the last minute. Princess must of felt sorry for us for our cancelled cruise since we also got a upsell to a suite that was impossible to resist. I can't wait to finally get away. I think after this season that Elua are moving to the Star in the fall.

Gail we thought about booking the 12 day cruise before at the same time we booked the TA but after pricing it decided to pass on it. We do have our airfare already unfortunately its the 3/3/3 setup but we did upgrade the longer flight to Venice to economy plus. We are also staying 4 nights pre-cruise in Venice & I'd already booked my air before I realized how much those 4 nights are costing us. It's our 1st trip to Europe so may as well live it up. Took me a long time to convince Mike to go so who knows how soon we will go back again.

I do agree the main thread is way to large to keep up with all the time. Let me know if you find if the balconies are covered. I'd like to know the answer to it to that too.

Donna
Donna - we had a suite for the Golden to Hawaii in 2011 - it was awesome! You will be so spoiled. That itinerary is one of my favorites and I would do it again if it weren't for the fact that there are so many other places that I haven't been to yet. I'm really glad that you will have both David Cole and Elua onboard. David wasn't the CD on our cruise but he has done such a great job of setting up the programs that everything went really well. I just missed seeing him out and about. Can't even remember who the CD was as I don't remember seeing him at all.

Gail
Gail - I'm sorry you won't be on the cruise! But you are still welcome to join us for lunch when we get together! I think Illinois cruisers should keep in touch!

I'm home for a while now - been gadding about and am ready for some home time. Had a blast at Disney World and on the Disney Vacation Club Member Cruise. Now I'm back to the cold weather in Chicago - brrrr.

I booked my airfare with Aer Lingus - I was able to get business class for $2379 which is a bargain. Coach is currently under $800.

So I guess we are now looking at late March, April and into May for a get-together?
If we are looking at Friday and Saturdays, these are the dates that would work for me:
March 29
March 30
April 5
April 6
April 12
April 13
April 19
April 20
April 26
April 27
May 3
May 4
May 10
May 11

How about if eveyone copies the dates into a response noting the ones that work and don't work? I will then see about consolidating what dates work for who and see what we can come up.

Melanie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melanie

Chicago area
5,068 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Donna - we had a suite for the Golden to Hawaii in 2011 - it was awesome! You will be so spoiled. That itinerary is one of my favorites and I would do it again if it weren't for the fact that there are so many other places that I haven't been to yet. I'm really glad that you will have both David Cole and Elua onboard. David wasn't the CD on our cruise but he has done such a great job of setting up the programs that everything went really well. I just missed seeing him out and about. Can't even remember who the CD was as I don't remember seeing him at all.

Gail - I'm sorry you won't be on the cruise! But you are still welcome to join us for lunch when we get together! I think Illinois cruisers should keep in touch!

I'm home for a while now - been gadding about and am ready for some home time. Had a blast at Disney World and on the Disney Vacation Club Member Cruise. Now I'm back to the cold weather in Chicago - brrrr.

I booked my airfare with Aer Lingus - I was able to get business class for $2379 which is a bargain. Coach is currently under $800.

So I guess we are now looking at late March, April and into May for a get-together?
If we are looking at Friday and Saturdays, these are the dates that would work for me:
March 29
March 30
April 5
April 6
April 12
April 13
April 19
April 20
April 26
April 27
May 3
May 4
May 10
May 11

How about if eveyone copies the dates into a response noting the ones that work and don't work? I will then see about consolidating what dates work for who and see what we can come up.

Melanie
Thanks Melanie and we would love to join you if we fit in your schedule. It does seem on many of our cruises that IL is not well represented.

Dates that are NOT good for us:
March dates
April 6 and 20
All other dates are fine at this point.
Gail
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Chicago, Illinois
989 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
If we are looking at Friday and Saturdays, these are the dates that would work for Gail and me:

April 5
April 12
April 13
April 19
April 20
April 26
April 27
May 3
May 4
May 10
May 11

If you are interested, please let me know what days work.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melanie

IL
4,481 Posts
Joined Jul 2006

Melanie
We are back & the Hawaii cruise was fantastic. This is our 3rd Hawaii cruise. We have always had David Cole as the cruise director but this is the 2nd time with Elua too. The middle cruise was without them & I have to say if we go to Hawaii again I will only cruise the ship they are on. Being in the suite was awesome! Hope to do that again someday.

If we are looking at Friday and Saturdays, these are the dates that would work for Gail and me:

April 5
April 12
April 13 NO
April 19 NO
April 20 NO
April 26 NO
April 27 NO
May 3
May 4 NO
May 10
May 11 NO

If you are interested, please let me know what days work.
For now the rest of the dates are OK but that could change as we take a cruise in April or May & I haven't planned anything yet. Trying to work around the 3 weddings we have in the spring has been a challenge so we may end up doing a driving trip instead around the wedding that's out of town.

Donna