KennyKat - How was Oceania?

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:32 PM.
Eastern Virginia
6,088 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Hi Claudia! How was your cruise on Oceania? I would love to hear about it. We're looking further afield for future cruises. There have just been some changes on Princess we're not too keen on. We'd love to hear your impressions. Some Regent cruisers we know of have recently taken an Oceania cruise and they were very favorably impressed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sacramento, CA
1,650 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by Sunviking
Hi Claudia! How was your cruise on Oceania? I would love to hear about it. We're looking further afield for future cruises. There have just been some changes on Princess we're not too keen on. We'd love to hear your impressions. Some Regent cruisers we know of have recently taken an Oceania cruise and they were very favorably impressed.

Hi Anne, Oceania Riviera was very nice but we think Princess is a better fit for us. The food was excellent and the specialty restaurants were wonderful too. Others on our cruise said that Oceania's food was better than the Regent ships but we have never sailed Regent so can't compare. The room was nice and comfortable. Our cabin steward was not the best and with the extra staff per cruiser, we really couldn't tell any difference in service if comparing Princess staff. We ate at the terrace grill if we weren't eating in one of the specialty restaurants and that was wonderful as they cook your meat/fish selection right in front of you. We never made it to the Grand Dining Room. The specialty dinner just like the chef's dinner was ok...think Princess chef's dinner is nicer...extras like galley tour, picture, rose and chef's cook book you won't find on Oceania. We had a nice time but for the extra money sailing on Oceania for us it wasn't really worth it. Drinks were expensive and internet price was outrageous. Quiet and only one pool, one jacuzzi and no movies during sea days...daily activities were scarce. But saying all that it might be worth one sailing to see if it is something you would enjoy. Hope this helps....Claudia
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
Sacramento, CA
1,650 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Anne, I will echo Claudia. Oceania is very much a country club style and as a jeans and T shirt guy, I'm not sure I totally fit in. I really enjoyed the platinum lounge cocktail hours with you, Al, Ed, Cyndi and the others on the last cruise. Oceania doesn't have that sort of thing as far as I can tell and I missed it. I guess Princess just fits us (me) better and I'll take my mini suite with a much larger balcony over their veranda balcony any day. Ken
PS: Sorry you couldn't make this years on the Royal, but I understand, as we had the aft cabin last cruise....by the way, how did you find out about the reconfiguration so quickly? I've always wondered when Princess was going to figure out that the aft cabins (sorry, veranda suites) were a very popular item and charge accordingly. K
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Eastern Virginia
6,088 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Thanks for the info, Claudia and Ken. We too enjoyed the evenings up in Skywalkers with you, Ed & Cyndi. There was talk here on CC about the changes in the aft suites and the new configurations. Even before then though we had pretty much decided we would cancel because there were other aspects of the New Royal's deck plans we didn't like. We really enjoyed Adagio up next to Sabatinis and we liked Skywalkers. Both are gone on the Royal. Everything is focused around the Atrium which we find crowded and loud at night. Coupled with the fact that we've done the transatlantic from Venice 4 times already, we thought it was a good time to try something different. I will be interested to hear what you think of the Royal. We'll also miss sailing with you and some of our other cruising friends.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sacramento, CA
1,650 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
This will probably be our last one. The main purpose of this one is to spend a week in Barcelona pre-cruise. I'm interested in the new alternative dining options and the deluxe balconies. I like mini suites and these look to be pretty much the same minus the tub, which I can live without. D 410 looks like it has a large balcony. We'll find out and report. K
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Eastern Virginia
6,088 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
That's great that you're spending a week in Barcelona pre-cruise. It's one of our favorite cities. If you run out of things to see in the city, there are great places to go for day trips. We absolutely loved Tarragona and Sitges to the south. On one trip we went up to Girona and that was great as well. We stopped for lunch at a little seaside town with a gorgeous cove and wonderful outdoor seafood restaurant. The name eludes me at the moment. Anyway, we love the whole area. We'll be spending three nights there in October before our cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sacramento, CA
1,650 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
This is the 3rd time we've spent time there as it and Sydney AU are my two favorite cities in the world. Girona and Figueras were great... worth the drive. We'll explore south this time and I never get tired of Parc Guell, the market or the Le Meridian. K
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Eastern Virginia
6,088 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
I agree - there is so much to see there and we just love to wander. Sitting at a cafe and watching people is one of my favorite pastimes. We stay right across the street from Le Meridien at the Hotel 1898. Such convenient locations, aren't they?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sacramento, CA
1,650 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
I agree - there is so much to see there and we just love to wander. Sitting at a cafe and watching people is one of my favorite pastimes. We stay right across the street from Le Meridien at the Hotel 1898. Such convenient locations, aren't they?

Ann, they are great hotels to stay in! We will miss you on the TA but know you will be having a great time on Seaborn in Rio and South America....Take care, Claudia
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature