Hotel near San Pedro pier?

LadyLeo84

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in or near San Pedro that also includes parking for the duration of the cruise and a shuttle to and from the hotel to the pier?

What about restaurants in the area? We have stayed in Long Beach a couple of times and know what's there, but don't know anything about San Pedro.

Thanks to everyone in advance for all of your help!

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in or near San Pedro that also includes parking for the duration of the cruise and a shuttle to and from the hotel to the pier?

What about restaurants in the area? We have stayed in Long Beach a couple of times and know what's there, but don't know anything about San Pedro.

Thanks to everyone in advance for all of your help!

There are several hotels in San Pedro, but only two have my full recommendation...

http://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/us/en/san-pedro/laxpv/hoteldetail

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-san-pedro-port-of-los-angeles-LGBSPDT/index.html

Both have "park and cruise" offers available that include parking during your cruise...but, of course, remember that any such rate really just incorporates the parking charges into the room rates. Both will shuttle you to the Pier.

But, in any event, these are the nicest two hotels in San Pedro--best locations, most amenities, nicest rooms, etc. The Doubletree is located in a little more remote, but very pleasant, location--down by the marina--downchannel from the cruise port near the harbor entrance...very picturesque, but really only one good restaurant choice in walking distance--the 22nd Street Landing. But the hotel will shuttle you to restaurants in the Downtown San Pedro area. The Crowne Plaza is in the heart of Downtown San Pedro. The cruise port is really only short walking distance--but the hotel will provide a shuttle. There are a great number of good restaurants close by. My favorite is the San Pedro Brewing Company--within a block of the Crowne Plaza...But, also, there are the Green Onion, Acapulco, the Whale and Ale, Rafaello, Niko's, Neil's Pasta and others all within about a two block radius.

There are a few other "lesser" hotels in San Pedro that you may hear mention of--The Best Western Suites, the Vagabond and the Sunrise, to name three. The BW and the Vagabond are on Gaffey right where the 110 Freeway dumps out into San Pedro...not a great location and not really first class hotels. The Sunrise is close to the Cruise port, but, also, not a first class hotel. There are lots of people who are fine with staying at any of these--but, remember, people have varying standards as to what they think is a "decent" hotel. Read the reviews.

Good luck.

There are several hotels in San Pedro, but only two have my full recommendation...

http://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/us/en/san-pedro/laxpv/hoteldetail

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-san-pedro-port-of-los-angeles-LGBSPDT/index.html

Both have "park and cruise" offers available that include parking during your cruise...but, of course, remember that any such rate really just incorporates the parking charges into the room rates. Both will shuttle you to the Pier.

But, in any event, these are the nicest two hotels in San Pedro--best locations, most amenities, nicest rooms, etc. The Doubletree is located in a little more remote, but very pleasant, location--down by the marina--downchannel from the cruise port near the harbor entrance...very picturesque, but really only one good restaurant choice in walking distance--the 22nd Street Landing. But the hotel will shuttle you to restaurants in the Downtown San Pedro area. The Crowne Plaza is in the heart of Downtown San Pedro. The cruise port is really only short walking distance--but the hotel will provide a shuttle. There are a great number of good restaurants close by. My favorite is the San Pedro Brewing Company--within a block of the Crowne Plaza...But, also, there are the Green Onion, Acapulco, the Whale and Ale, Rafaello, Niko's, Neil's Pasta and others all within about a two block radius.

There are a few other "lesser" hotels in San Pedro that you may hear mention of--The Best Western Suites, the Vagabond and the Sunrise, to name three. The BW and the Vagabond are on Gaffey right where the 110 Freeway dumps out into San Pedro...not a great location and not really first class hotels. The Sunrise is close to the Cruise port, but, also, not a first class hotel. There are lots of people who are fine with staying at any of these--but, remember, people have varying standards as to what they think is a "decent" hotel. Read the reviews.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the info!! I will check out the 2 hotels that you recommended to me. Do you know of a good place to have breakfast before we board the ship?

We've stayed twice at the Crowne Plaze and have been pleased both times. Very close to lots of places to eat, and close to the pier as well. We've eaten breakfast both times at Grinder's. Nothing fancy, but very good food and excellent service. Only about a 10 minute walk. 511 S Harbor Blvd. is the address.

Thank you so much for the info!! I will check out the 2 hotels that you recommended to me. Do you know of a good place to have breakfast before we board the ship?

We stayed at the DoubleTree this past Spring pre-cruise. They have a restaurant on premises. Cook to order or buffet breakfast. Note, if you order something like scramble eggs and bacon, the waiters will get the food from the buffet :mad:

We have stayed twice at the Best Western and have found it to be a very nice hotel. The rooms are very large, the beds are extremely comfortable. The lobby has a lot of antique furniture and we found it to be clean. They have the typical BW free breakfast in the mornings. It is number 22 out of 339 for LA Hotels. Crowne Plaza is 123, Doubletree is 106. They have a free shuttle to the cruise port, I found the staff at the front desk very helpful and friendly. I agree the area can be a bit hinkey at night, but I walked to the McDonald's down the block, and the 7/11 across the street at nite no problem. During the day I found no issues. If you want to go to a nice restaurant at nite, get a cab.

We have stayed twice at the Best Western and have found it to be a very nice hotel. The rooms are very large, the beds are extremely comfortable. The lobby has a lot of antique furniture and we found it to be clean. They have the typical BW free breakfast in the mornings. It is number 22 out of 339 for LA Hotels. Crowne Plaza is 123, Doubletree is 106. They have a free shuttle to the cruise port, I found the staff at the front desk very helpful and friendly. I agree the area can be a bit hinkey at night, but I walked to the McDonald's down the block, and the 7/11 across the street at nite no problem. During the day I found no issues. If you want to go to a nice restaurant at nite, get a cab.

Thank you for posting your opinion on the Best Western! DH and I are staying there next month pre-cruise and all I hear on CC is how great the Crown Plaza and Doubletree are supposed to be. I'm glad you liked the BW and that the rooms are comfortable and clean. Nice to know that there is a 7/11 right there for last minute items too. We think we will drive over to the San Pedro Brewery for dinner, as I've heard good things about them and the menu looks delicious.

Cathy

Thank you for posting your opinion on the Best Western! DH and I are staying there next month pre-cruise and all I hear on CC is how great the Crown Plaza and Doubletree are supposed to be. I'm glad you liked the BW and that the rooms are comfortable and clean. Nice to know that there is a 7/11 right there for last minute items too. We think we will drive over to the San Pedro Brewery for dinner, as I've heard good things about them and the menu looks delicious.

Cathy

Hi Cathy, If noise bothers you, you may want to request a room in the back overlooking the pool. It is on a busy street, and the traffic noise may get to you. The first time I stayed there, my friends stayed in a room facing the front, they said it was noisy, but they also found it entertaining watching the people on the street. Also, even though it is probably a couple of miles or so away from the port, you can see the ships in the morning, and personally, that always gives me a thrill, and gets me even more excited about boarding.

Hi Cathy, If noise bothers you, you may want to request a room in the back overlooking the pool. It is on a busy street, and the traffic noise may get to you. The first time I stayed there, my friends stayed in a room facing the front, they said it was noisy, but they also found it entertaining watching the people on the street. Also, even though it is probably a couple of miles or so away from the port, you can see the ships in the morning, and personally, that always gives me a thrill, and gets me even more excited about boarding.

Noise doesn't bother me too much. I'm really excited now to think we could see the ships from the hotel! So is that an advantage to a street facing room, then? It sounds like a win-win no matter where in the hotel we have a room.

Thank you for posting! I just can't wait! Only 25 more days till we fly out to LA!

This picture is a view from my friends window showing the ship in port. I did use a zoom, as it isn't that close :)

When you get to the hotel, book the shuttle for what time you want it. The only time we could get when my husband and I went the 2nd time was for 10:30, and he didn't want to go that early so we just took a cab down around 1pm, I think it was around $10. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

1181945682_viewoftheshipfromBW.jpg.ae7c07161191ad458a8485aa015db2c0.jpg

This picture is a view from my friends window showing the ship in port. I did use a zoom, as it isn't that close :)

When you get to the hotel, book the shuttle for what time you want it. The only time we could get when my husband and I went the 2nd time was for 10:30, and he didn't want to go that early so we just took a cab down around 1pm, I think it was around $10. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

It looks like pretty window views either way! Thank you for posting pictures. Even seeing a ship far away is fun and exciting to wake up to:)

I have a question about the parking at the Best Western in San Pedro. . .

Has anyone parked their car there while on their cruise and if so, did you feel that it was parked in a secure area? I really don't want to have to worry about the safety of our car while we're miles away.

I have a question about the parking at the Best Western in San Pedro. . .

Has anyone parked their car there while on their cruise and if so, did you feel that it was parked in a secure area? I really don't want to have to worry about the safety of our car while we're miles away.

I wondered that as well, LadyLeo. But ultimately we skipped booking the park and cruise package and only booked the rooms. We are flying in but my parents are driving to San Pedro from Yuma Arizona, so they will need parking. We decided for convenience sake they would just park at the pier so we will all go from the Best Western to the pier and split the parking cost for the week. No waiting for shuttles in either direction and the price difference was not that much more even with the increase. I will have a better cruise not wondering in the back of my mind if their car is secure or not.

Edited by calisilent

I wondered that as well, LadyLeo. But ultimately we skipped booking the park and cruise package and only booked the rooms. We are flying in but my parents are driving to San Pedro from Yuma Arizona, so they will need parking. We decided for convenience sake they would just park at the pier so we will all go from the Best Western to the pier and split the parking cost for the week. No waiting for shuttles in either direction and the price difference was not that much more even with the increase. I will have a better cruise not wondering in the back of my mind if their car is secure or not.

Calisilent. . .

I think that's a great idea to park at the pier and for all of you to split the cost. Or course, it would cost us more to park there, but we may go ahead and do that for the peace of mind. We have stayed at the Maya Hotel in Long Beach 3 times and left our car parked there as well while we cruised. No problems whatsoever. Just don't know San Pedro at all, so we're concerned with the safety.

When do you sail? We will be on the Crown Princess November 14th. If you sail before us, please let us know what you thought about the hotel, etc.

We just stayed at the BW, San Pedro pre and post cruise. Very nice, very clean and staff were great. There is parking under and inside the hotel. You could always phone the hotel and see what the parking rate is. I would think if you were inside it would be hard to steal a car. The room was a nice size and the bed and pillows were so comfortable. It was certainly not decorated like the usual BW's are. They served homemade waffles, scrambled eggs, pastries, cereal, toast, etc. for breakfast which is included in the room price. We walked to MacDonald's and the 711 and felt fine. The front desk clerk said it was safe to walk. There is a Hawaiin restaurant just up the street from the hotel that the locals enjoy going to. I would stay here again as it is way cheaper than the other 2 mentioned unless you get a deal on Priceline or something like that.

We just stayed at the BW, San Pedro pre and post cruise. Very nice, very clean and staff were great. There is parking under and inside the hotel. You could always phone the hotel and see what the parking rate is. I would think if you were inside it would be hard to steal a car. The room was a nice size and the bed and pillows were so comfortable. It was certainly not decorated like the usual BW's are. They served homemade waffles, scrambled eggs, pastries, cereal, toast, etc. for breakfast which is included in the room price. We walked to MacDonald's and the 711 and felt fine. The front desk clerk said it was safe to walk. There is a Hawaiin restaurant just up the street from the hotel that the locals enjoy going to. I would stay here again as it is way cheaper than the other 2 mentioned unless you get a deal on Priceline or something like that.

Thank you Cormike for posting this review! It's great to hear that you had a good experience so recently! We are staying there pre-cruise only on the 24th of this month.

LadyLeo, I will absolutely post on this thread when we return on November 2nd!

Cathy

Thanks from me too Cormike! Your info about the BW itself along with the parkng situation was very helpful and has relieved a whole lot of stress for me. I noticed that you were also on the Crown Princess. What were your thoughts about her as far as condition, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by LadyLeo84

Thank you Cormike for posting this review! It's great to hear that you had a good experience so recently! We are staying there pre-cruise only on the 24th of this month.

LadyLeo, I will absolutely post on this thread when we return on November 2nd!

Cathy

Thanks Cathy! I will be looking forward to hearing about your stay at BW and the cruise as well.

I noticed that you were also on the Crown Princess. What were your thoughts about her as far as condition, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I've sailed the Crown several times & most recently in January and everything was in great condition & I'm soon sailing on the Crown again. :)

I've sailed the Crown several times & most recently in January and everything was in great condition & I'm soon sailing on the Crown again. :)

Thanks ASTRO FLYER! Everything sounds so wonderful and I'm getting very excited about sailing on Princess again. I have a question for you that maybe you could answer. Some friends that have sailed on the CROWN in the past said there was some "different" about the public restrooms since the ship had been sailing around ASIA. But. . . he wouldn't tell me what it was and that I would just have to wait and see. Well, of course, the curiosity is killing me! Did you notice anything different?

Thanks!!