Silver Spirits Beverage Packageed

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Viking Ocean
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:32 AM.
13 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
Thanks to all for your replies to my post. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether good wine can be found onshore in Norway at all (or any) of the small towns along the coast (Into the Midnight Sun itinerary)?
1,731 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
DH and I have been discussing the SS Package. I am still cirious about the upgraded wine offering and if someone would be able to offer up examples of just a couple of the offerings, particularly after just reading that they aren't all that great. For me, that is the primary reason to go with SS.......

Viking, any chance you could help out here? I am not looking for any guarantees that we will have the specific labels you might provide as examples, it sure would be helpful to get an idea of the differences in your typical standard wine pours compared to SS wine pours??

Thanks much!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grand Princess - SFO RT to Vancouver BC, Sept 2018
VikingSea - San Juan-Amazon-San Juan Dec 2017
Viking Star - Bergen- Stockholm 2015
Viking Star - Barcelona-Bergen 2015
HAL Ryndam - Istanbul- Barcelona 2014
HAL Ryndam - Athens -Istanbul 2014
Viking Skadi - Amsterdam- Budapest 2013
Princess - Western Mediterranean - 2010
Princess Golden - Alaska - 2010
Middle of Tennessee
3,366 Posts
Joined May 2003
The info on SS package I read today said 15% gratuities included in the $279pp price.....there was also a sample bar menu with about 10 pages listing various beers, drinks, etc, and only price of house wines & sparkling.
I was wondering if 15% is added onto the various drink/beer prices of $5, $6, $7.50, etc. when you purchase individually? OR is it included in drink price (which I doubt)?
If you factor out the 15% from the $279, that nets down to $243 for the drinks & divide by # of evenings on ship, that comes to $17.36 pp per day...that would easily cover cost of a 2 cosmos or manhattans @ 7.50 or 2 crown royals @ 8.00 plus a beer at lunch or a mimosa in AM, not counting a glass of wine at dinner....
OR AM I misunderstanding the rules??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CRUISE HISTORY = 50 cruises (1 Transatlantic, 1 Rhine River, 1 Danube River, 5 Alaska, 4 Panama Canal, 1 California coastal, 1 Hawaii, 2 NewEngl/Canada & 34 Eastern/Western/Southern Caribbean) 449 days.
1 cruise on VIKING OCEAN: Viking Sea to eastern Caribbean from NYC to SJU in Oct. 2017.....most amazing ship!!
24 cruises PRINCESS: Grand 5x; old Crown 3x, Caribbean 4x, Ruby 2x, Sun 2x, Dawn, Diamond, Ocean, Sea, Island, Coral, new Crown 2x -- we love the Elite perks! (197 days)
9 on HOLLAND: Nieuw Amsterdam, Statendam, Westerdam 3x, Volendam, Veendam 2x, Zuiderdam -- 3 Star (77 days)
7 on CELEBRITY: Millennium, Solstice, Silhouette, Century, Reflection, Summit 2x (48 days)
6 on ROYAL CARIB: Radiance 2x, Brilliance, Voyager of Seas, Independence of Seas 2x (55 days)
2 on VIKING RIVER: Sun (Rhine River Antwerp-Basel 14 days), Bragi (Danube River Budapest-Nurmberg 7 days),
1 on CARNIVAL Triumph (7 days)
1,731 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
The SS Package is basically $20 per person per day and the total cost is based on the length of your cruise.
The price per drink on the list includes the $15% gratuity -
Keep in mind that there are included wines and beers at lunch and dinner that Are included in your cruise which are their 'house wines' and most beers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Woodland Hills, CA
774 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Dear Vineyard View,

We're happy to help. As you've all discussed, our house white and red wines are included during your lunch and dinner service, however the Silver Spirits Beverage Package includes upgraded selections of wine and other alcoholic beverage. Although we can't guarantee that all these exact wines will be available on all sailings, these selections are examples of the quality of our offerings:

White Wine

Castello Banfi Winery, La Pettegola, Vermentino
Italy, Tuscany

Louis Jadot Windery, Macon Blanc Villages, Chardonnay
France, Burgundy

Cateau Ste. Michelle Winery, Chardonnay
USA, Washington

Schloss Johannisberg Winery, Gelblack, Riesling
Germany, Rheigau

Red Wine

Bender Winery, Pinot Noir, Pinot Noir
Germany, Pfalz

Castello Bianfi Winery, Cum Laude, Cabernet Sauvignon, Melot, Sangiovese, Syrah
Italy, Tuscany

Miguel Torres Winery, Celeste Crianza, Tempranillo
Spain, Ribeira Duero

Brazin Winery, Lodi, Old Vine Zinfandel
USA, California

Vineyard View, if you would prefer not making a decision before your departure, you are also welcome to purchase the Silver Spirits Beverage Package once you're on board and have personally explored the wine selection offered aboard your ship.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you, and hope this information is helpful. Have a wonderful weekend.

Best,
Viking Cruises

Originally posted by Vineyard View
DH and I have been discussing the SS Package. I am still cirious about the upgraded wine offering and if someone would be able to offer up examples of just a couple of the offerings, particularly after just reading that they aren't all that great. For me, that is the primary reason to go with SS.......

Viking, any chance you could help out here? I am not looking for any guarantees that we will have the specific labels you might provide as examples, it sure would be helpful to get an idea of the differences in your typical standard wine pours compared to SS wine pours??

Thanks much!!!
Missouri
139 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Could someone describe the house wines? Are they typically red / white, dry / sweet, certain varietals or blends? Or does that change per itinerary?

Of course, since we will be cruising Italy and Croatia, we might just need to pick up a bottle ashore.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
205 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by Viking Cruises
Dear Vineyard View,

We're happy to help. As you've all discussed, our house white and red wines are included during your lunch and dinner service, however the Silver Spirits Beverage Package includes upgraded selections of wine and other alcoholic beverage. Although we can't guarantee that all these exact wines will be available on all sailings, these selections are examples of the quality of our offerings:

White Wine

Castello Banfi Winery, La Pettegola, Vermentino
Italy, Tuscany

Louis Jadot Windery, Macon Blanc Villages, Chardonnay
France, Burgundy

Cateau Ste. Michelle Winery, Chardonnay
USA, Washington

Schloss Johannisberg Winery, Gelblack, Riesling
Germany, Rheigau

Red Wine

Bender Winery, Pinot Noir, Pinot Noir
Germany, Pfalz

Castello Bianfi Winery, Cum Laude, Cabernet Sauvignon, Melot, Sangiovese, Syrah
Italy, Tuscany

Miguel Torres Winery, Celeste Crianza, Tempranillo
Spain, Ribeira Duero

Brazin Winery, Lodi, Old Vine Zinfandel
USA, California

Vineyard View, if you would prefer not making a decision before your departure, you are also welcome to purchase the Silver Spirits Beverage Package once you're on board and have personally explored the wine selection offered aboard your ship.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you, and hope this information is helpful. Have a wonderful weekend.

Best,
Viking Cruises
Sorry Viking Cruises but what we had on our Homelands did come even close to the choices you listed. I'm not talking about labels, I'm talking about countries. There was only 77something (forgot the number) Cabernet Savignon that we could drink from the choice of two red wines. I didn't care for the offered whites. The wines I mentioned were offered in the restaurant and a buffet. To be honest I didn't order wine at the bars so don't remember the choice. We definitely didn't have dry Riesling (we enjoyed it on our river cruise) though we stopped at Germany.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Vili, Viking Skirnir-Grand European September 2016
Viking Star - Viking Homelands July 2017
1,731 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Viking Cruises thank you very much for providing examples of what we may expect, and if not exactly these labels this list provides us an example of the levels of wines on the SS Package. I sincerely appreciate your response.

Adventure girl......Italy and Croatia ports....as well as many European ports = excellent opportunities to sample and bring very good/great wines back on board. We have sure done that on several cruises. This next VO cruise to the Amazon ..... not exactly counting on that

Also to the suggestions on waiting to be on board before deciding....I like that. We can check it all out and make a decision which direction to go before sailing the following day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rhode Island
625 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Thanks so much Viking for responding.
Is there a list of wines that are available by the bottle? Seeing the Silver Spirits package has made me inclined to buy it by the bottle.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean
Missouri
139 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Originally posted by Vineyard View
Adventure girl......Italy and Croatia ports....as well as many European ports = excellent opportunities to sample and bring very good/great wines back on board. We have sure done that on several cruises. This next VO cruise to the Amazon ..... not exactly counting on that .
Thanks VV! I'll skip on the SS package this go-around and just bring on board. I did the math and think that I'd need to buy 3 specialty cocktails per day (my go-to is a Tom Collins) to break even on the package, and I don't think I need to be drinking that much. We are in a PV room, so the included mini bar may just suffice (maybe they will bring me gin and club soda and I can make a mock Collins with some citrus?!).

New thread idea is forming.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Boston MA
6,285 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by AdventureGal79

New thread idea is forming.
LOL, New thread idea has formed!! Check it out: Mini Bar Hacks / Recipes
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
Arizona
133 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Wine is sold in state-run shops in Norway. Almost everything is imported and the prices are sky high. As I remember from many years ago, a bottle of wine that cost $15 in the U.S. Cost at least $25-$30 in Norway.
Southern California
693 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
We are wine drinkers and do prefer a more upscale wine.. so even though we get wine with lunch and dinner , I'm looking forward to the premium wines they serve on the SS package, if we want a lemon drop martini or a margarita we're not going to bother bringing my own mixes. For the cost, which I feel is very reasonable compared to Celebrity, we have purchased the package. We are on vacation, and at my age I do not count my pennies. We just enjoy life and spend our children's inheritance..they think that's funny and agree.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Belle Harbor, NY
669 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by Cruisin Kay D
The info on SS package I read today said 15% gratuities included in the $279pp price.....there was also a sample bar menu with about 10 pages listing various beers, drinks, etc, and only price of house wines & sparkling.
I was wondering if 15% is added onto the various drink/beer prices of $5, $6, $7.50, etc. when you purchase individually? OR is it included in drink price (which I doubt)?
If you factor out the 15% from the $279, that nets down to $243 for the drinks & divide by # of evenings on ship, that comes to $17.36 pp per day...that would easily cover cost of a 2 cosmos or manhattans @ 7.50 or 2 crown royals @ 8.00 plus a beer at lunch or a mimosa in AM, not counting a glass of wine at dinner....
In June, it was included in the price. I never paid anything extra when I disembarked
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Boston MA
6,285 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by Cruisin Kay D
Just to be clear, bar prices already include a 15% gratuity. If the bar menu says $7.50, that number includes the gratuity; you don't need to add an additional tip to your bill, unless you are feeling generous. Don't net the gratuity in your calculations or you will under-estimate the break even point. You pay $20pp per day, so you each need to have three cosmos per day to break even, not two.

Wine and beer at lunch and dinner is already included in the cruise fare unless you want other than the house varieties.
Soft drinks are free at meal times but cost at other times of the day. Don't forget the cans of soda in your mini-bar.
Coffees (except if you add alcohol) and tea are always free, even if you get them from the bar.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
New Hampshire
562 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Yah, I get 3 extra drinks per day times the number of days per cruise to break even.

WARNING do not do what I did and do an internet search on medically recommended max # of drinks per day
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Uniworld Portugal, Spain & Douro River Valley June 2018
Viking Forseti Chateaus & Bordeaux September 2017
Viking Sea Viking Homelands May-June 2017
Viking Lofn Switzerland to Amsterdam October 2016
Silverseas Silver Spirit Mediterranean September 2015
Viking Buri Portraits of Southern France April 2015
Viking Freya Romantic Danube September 2014

Belle Harbor, NY
669 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Yea but you can try every drink permitted and if you don't like it, don't drink it. And no, I didn't get drunk, lol. I also ordered club soda at night. Dark beer at pool was delicious at lunch.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

New Hampshire
562 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
I'm not a beer drinker and I loved the dark beer at lunch!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Uniworld Portugal, Spain & Douro River Valley June 2018
Viking Forseti Chateaus & Bordeaux September 2017
Viking Sea Viking Homelands May-June 2017
Viking Lofn Switzerland to Amsterdam October 2016
Silverseas Silver Spirit Mediterranean September 2015
Viking Buri Portraits of Southern France April 2015
Viking Freya Romantic Danube September 2014

28 Posts
Joined May 2017
We are wine drinkers, too, although we do enjoy an occasional mimosa or margarita. But my question is, if we want to retire to our room for the evening with a glass of wine or two, and we can't get a bottle, what do we do, have room service deliver our premium wine? And then if we want a second glass, do we have to call them again? On Regent they just stocked our mini fridge every day with the bottles of wine of our choice.
Tucson AZ
1,969 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
I can't answer for the premium wine but I can tell you that often during lunch or dinner hours I would just go to the world cafe or the pool bar and ask for 2 glasses of the included wine to go. I would think that with the package you could just go to any bar and ask for 2 glasses to go and bring them to your cabin.