Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:12 AM.
40 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Hello,

We are from the UK and spending a week on the Divina in September after 3 nights in Miami .
This is our first cruise (apart from a couple of mini ones from Southampton with P & O)

To say I am excited is an understatement ! I am addicted to this forum at the moment!!

We have the Aurea package booked so we don't have to worry about what we spend on board as I love a cocktail in the evening !

Just a couple of questions please, how is the plug situation do they have UK sockets in the Cabins? if we bring adaptors would they be European or US? and is there plenty of sockets (hair tools/phone chargers etc etc !)

When we embark does it take long to get the bags to the room? do people usually pack swimwear in their hand luggage if you get on board early?

Do they have classes in the Gym? such as Spin/ Kettle bells, can you jog around the ship?? - to burn off all the cocktails !

Question from Husband - Any Premiership football in the sports bar

How should I expect the weather to be ? Miami eastern Caribbean? I have not been to this part of the world often. Do I need a jacket for the even I am assuming not. I am expecting the "Monica" hairfrizz .

Any other advice for a first time cruiser would be great
Thanks
Julie
Ireland
1,061 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Hi. I can address some of your questions:
..how is the plug situation do they have UK sockets in the Cabins? if we bring adaptors would they be European or US? and is there plenty of sockets (hair tools/phone chargers etc etc !) There are European and US sockets. Usually 2 of each by the dressing table mirror. Bring a power strip/extension lead but not one with a surge protector built in.

When we embark does it take long to get the bags to the room? do people usually pack swimwear in their hand luggage if you get on board early? It can be very quick or a few hours, yes people do pack swimwear in their carry ons.

Do they have classes in the Gym? such as Spin/ Kettle bells, YES, some classes in gym, extra charge. can you jog around the ship?? - to burn off all the cocktails ! No, the prom deck does not stretch all around the ship.
from Husband - Any Premiership football in the sports bar I doubt it in the Caribbean.

Enjoy, Divina is a lovely ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:

Completed cruises
MSC Splendida, 11/6/2017..Western Mediterranean
MSC Fantasia, 11/3/2017..UAE & Oman
MSC Sinfonia, 24/9/2016..Eastern Mediterranean
MSC Divina, 4/7/2015..Western Mediterranean
MSC Preziosa, 20/9/2014..Eastern Mediterranean
Norwegian Epic, 29/9/2013..Western Mediterranean
Splendour of the Seas, 12/5/2012..Eastern Mediterranean
Adventure of the Seas, 3/10/2010..Western Mediterranean
4,501 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Bring a light jacket for rain!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bea
'Would I could set sail upon the water'.

PREVIOUSLY ON:

MSC Magnifica Sept/Oct 2017

MSC Meraviglia June 2017 (YC)
MSC Fantasia Feb 2017
MSC Sinfonia Nov 2016 (b2b)
MSC Sinfonia Oct 2016
MSC Sinfonia Aug 2016
MSC Magnifica April 2016
Celebrity Millennium Jan 2016
MSC Divina Oct 2015 (TA)
MSC Divina Sep 2015 (YC)
MSC Preziosa Mar 2015 (TA)
MSC Fantasia Dec 2014
MSC Preziosa Aug 2014 (YC)
MSC Preziosa May 2014
MSC Splendida Feb 2014
MSC Splendida Feb 2013
MSC Splendida Feb 2012 (YC)
MSC Fantasia Nov 2011
Carnival Sensation Sept 2000
Northern Ireland
144 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by JulieOz
Hello,

We are from the UK and spending a week on the Divina in September after 3 nights in Miami .
This is our first cruise (apart from a couple of mini ones from Southampton with P & O)

To say I am excited is an understatement ! I am addicted to this forum at the moment!!

We have the Aurea package booked so we don't have to worry about what we spend on board as I love a cocktail in the evening !

Just a couple of questions please, how is the plug situation do they have UK sockets in the Cabins? if we bring adaptors would they be European or US? and is there plenty of sockets (hair tools/phone chargers etc etc !)

When we embark does it take long to get the bags to the room? do people usually pack swimwear in their hand luggage if you get on board early?

Do they have classes in the Gym? such as Spin/ Kettle bells, can you jog around the ship?? - to burn off all the cocktails !

Question from Husband - Any Premiership football in the sports bar

How should I expect the weather to be ? Miami eastern Caribbean? I have not been to this part of the world often. Do I need a jacket for the even I am assuming not. I am expecting the "Monica" hairfrizz .

Thanks
Julie
There are 2 US and 2 EU plug sockets in the bedroom, unless you have very small adapters for your UK plugs you can only use one of each at a time as the adapters overlap the sockets (ours did anyway). There is also a 2 pin socket in the bathroom. And also ensure you have front facing usb ports, the sockets are very close to the desk.

Luggage delivery is variable in my experience, but a couple of hours at most. No harm in including your swimwear in your hand luggage.

I've read about classes and jogging facilities but have no experience. I can however recommend the cocktails

The sports bar unfortunately do not show live Premiership games, there will possibly be highlights & goals.

I'd definitely take a cardigan/bolero for the theatre as it can be cooler in there.

I'd also recommend buying some table cloth clips or similar for your towels when sunbathing.
SOUTH WALES
3,656 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Hello,

This is what a typical set of sockets looks like

When we embark does it take long to get the bags to the room? do people usually pack swimwear in their hand luggage if you get on board early? As you have the Aurea package you should have priority luggage delivery to your cabin

Do they have classes in the Gym? such as Spin/ Kettle bells, can you jog around the ship?? - to burn off all the cocktails ! They have a power walking track on deck 15, it used to be called a "jogging track" on earlier deck plans.

Question from Husband - Any Premiership football in the sports bar Don't lnow

Thanks
Julie

Pete
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

268 nights at sea

pete at cruisingmates dot co dot uk

1961 HMTS Dunera UK to CYPRUS 23 nights
1962 Cyprus to Isreal and Egypt 5 nights
1991 Carnival Jubilee L.A. / Mexico (Total Eclipse Cruise) 7 nights
1998 Carnival Fascination Caribbean (Total Eclipse Cruise) 7 nights
1999 Airtours Sundream W. Med 7 nights
2000:Airtours Sundream Baltic 15 nights
2005 MSC Opera E. Med 7 nights
2007 MSC Lirica W. Med 7 nights
2008 MSC Orchestra W. Med 7 nights
2009 MSC Orchestra Caribbean 7 nights
2009 RCI Serenade OTS (JS) Alaska 7 nights
2009 MSC Musica E. Med 7 nights
2010:RCI Explorer OTS (GS) Caribbean 9 nights
2010 MSC Splendida W. Med 7 nights
2011 NCL Norwegian Dawn (Penthouse Suite) W. Caribbean 5 nights Back to Back
2011 NCL Norwegian Dawn (Penthouse Suite) S. Caribbean 9 nights Back to Back
2011 P&O Azura Norway 7 nights
2011 RCI Grandeur OTS (GS) W. Med 7 nights
2012 MSC Splendida W. Med 7 nights
2012 RCI Splendour OTS (GS) Repo Brazil to Spain 13 nights
2012 RCI Splendour OTS (GS) E. Med 7 nights
2012 MSC Divina E. Med 7 nights (YC)
2013 MSC Opera UK to Lisbon and back 10 nights
2013 MSC Sinfonia W. Med 7 nights (Yippee!! BLACK CARD after this;;-- GOT IT NOW!!!!!!)
2014 MSC Opera UK to Souh Africa Grand voyage 21 nights
2014 MSC Sinfonia E. Med. 11 nights
2016 MSC Orchestra Caribbean 14 nights B2B with
2016 MSC Orchestra Trans Atlantic 14 nights
2016 MSC Splendida Repo UK to Italy 7 nights

BOOKED

2017 MSC Meraviglia Western Med (YC) 7 nights

2018 MSC Seaview Western Med 7 nights

2018 MSC Magnifica Repo 9 nights

Coastal GA USA
21,791 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
This is what the typical balcony and inside cabins have. Not sure it is the same in Aurea.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Carnival Fascination 10/8/17; Carnival Elation 12/11/17;Carnival Splendor 1/14/18
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
Homosassa, Fl and Colunbia, MD
2,417 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
The temperature in the eastern Caribbean in September will be hot (26-35 C) and very humid. An umbrella or rain poncho is useful for any passing shower.

You will not need a jacket for outside wear. A sweater for the interior of the ship might be needed.
Virginia Beach, VA
1,072 Posts
Joined May 2010
Hi JulieOz.....enjoy your cruise! First time cruising is an experience you will never forget!!

Flat irons are permitted. That was a lifesaver for me!!!

Enjoy!!
Montreal, Canada
41 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Yes, they do have Spinning classes in the gym. On Splendida in the Med Sea, they were 10 Euros, discounted to 5 Euros for Aurea experience guests. You need to sign up at the Spa reception. The class is cancelled if there are less than 5 participants.

There is a power walking track, as Skier52 pointed out. It's on deck 15 but does not go all the way around. But, if you look at deck 7 (Apollo), there is a promenade deck that goes around. I suspect that if you get there early morning, then you should be alone... with other runners.
40 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by Zephyr173
Yes, they do have Spinning classes in the gym. On Splendida in the Med Sea, they were 10 Euros, discounted to 5 Euros for Aurea experience guests. You need to sign up at the Spa reception. The class is cancelled if there are less than 5 participants.

There is a power walking track, as Skier52 pointed out. It's on deck 15 but does not go all the way around. But, if you look at deck 7 (Apollo), there is a promenade deck that goes around. I suspect that if you get there early morning, then you should be alone... with other runners.

Thank you !! that is great news ...more food and cocktails for me
SOMERVILLE, MASS. USA
6,700 Posts
Joined May 2003
Hi Julie,
When are you sailing on Divina?? Have you gone on the Roll Call for that date to say Hello? Have you signed up for the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet event onboard Divina??? If not...you will be missing a lot of fun and another resource for information.
40 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Ohh no I will do that now, I thought that was mainly for people who have been on lots of cruises but it looks lots of fun.

We sail on the 16th September.
SOMERVILLE, MASS. USA
6,700 Posts
Joined May 2003
OMGosh!! Julie...GO sign up and have a blast!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH 1965/TS BREMEN 1971/RMS AMERIKANIS 1972/SS FRANCE 1973/SS FRANCE 1973/QE II 1975/QE II 1975/TS LEONARDO DaVINCI 1976/QE II 1978/TS GALLILAO 1984/ MV REGENT SEA 1988/MV ZENITH 1992/SS NORWAY 1993/MV HORIZON 1998/GTS NORWEGIAN SUN 2001/GTS CENTURY 2002/GTS SUMMIT 2003/GTS JEWEL OF THE SEAS 2004/TS CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 2005/TS STAR PRINCESS 2005/TS FREEDOM OF THE SEAS 2006/GTS LIBERTY OF THE SEAS 2007/GTS JEWEL OF THE SEAS 2007/GTS JEWEL OF THE SEAS 2008/GTS JEWEL OF THE SEAS 2009/GTS LIBERTY OF THE SEAS 2012/GTS DIVINA 2017
16 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by Zephyr173

Yes, deck 7 was good for jogging. The "jogging track" on deck 15 is a joke. I think they just say that to make you believe (as I did) they actually have a dedicated jogging area. That deck fills with chairs during the day and people at night. But deck 7 next to the life boats was perfect for jogging.
40 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by cheramello
Yes, deck 7 was good for jogging. The "jogging track" on deck 15 is a joke. I think they just say that to make you believe (as I did) they actually have a dedicated jogging area. That deck fills with chairs during the day and people at night. But deck 7 next to the life boats was perfect for jogging.
Sounds good does it go all the way around the ship?? I find treadmill running so boring
16 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Sounds good does it go all the way around the ship?? I find treadmill running so boring
It doesn't but was long enough that it wasn't terrible turning around and running back and forth. Carnival lines have an actual jogging track but this was better than the treadmill. I'm so bad at running on a treadmill, I teeter and totter! And I didn't keep up my fitness routine onboard like I planned so I only went a few times. Oops!
40 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by cheramello
It doesn't but was long enough that it wasn't terrible turning around and running back and forth. Carnival lines have an actual jogging track but this was better than the treadmill. I'm so bad at running on a treadmill, I teeter and totter! And I didn't keep up my fitness routine onboard like I planned so I only went a few times. Oops!
I take my running kit on every holiday and my husband says it just takes up space in the case as it rarely gets used!! BUT I am determined this time as I pile on weight on a normal holiday so a Cruise will be lethal! ... but we will see ..!
Just seen they do a water bike spin type class that looks interesting