What about ports/islands that are damaged/devastated by hurricane Irma?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:09 PM.
Buffalo, New York
329 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by Buffalobills
It's just not going to devistate the Caribbean islands. The entire eastern ports of Florida are going to take a direct hit! I live here and have a cruise planned for Sept 16th out of Miami. I'm not expecting at this time to go. Please just pray for everyone's safety at this time.
Hey Buffalobills! My dh is part of the Bills on field chain crew and we had a 5 day planned for Sept. 18th between games. I too am not expecting to go. The ports are Key West and Cozumel and I'm sure Key West will be out even if we do sail. My TA missed the window of opportunity for her to get out of Miami so like you, I am praying for the safety of those still in the area. A vacation can always be rescheduled so we are not even worried about that. It's all about the safety of those who will directly feel the wrath of Irma and then Jose. So sad
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & narrow mindedness" --- Mark Twain
"Travel helps us discover, even with our differences, we are family"

21. Carnival Victory (9/2017 - Western Caribbean)
20. Royal Caribbean Jewel of The Seas (5/2017 - Mediterranean - Italy & Greece)
19. Carnival Valor (8/2016 - Eastern Caribbean)
18. Carnival Glory (8/2015 - Eastern Caribbean)
17. Carnival Dream (8/2014 - Western Caribbean)
16. Carnival Valor (8/2013 - Southern Caribbean)
15. Carnival Dream (8/2012 - Western Caribbean)
14. Carnival Victory (8/2011 - Southern Caribbean)
13. Carnival Liberty (8/2010 - Eastern Caribbean)
12. Carnival Glory (8/2009 - Eastern Caribbean)
11. Carnival Legend (8/2008 - Western Caribbean)
10. Carnival Triumph (8/2007 - Eastern Caribbean)
9. Carnival Conquest (8/2006 - Western Caribbean)
8. Carnival Destiny (8/2005 - Southern Caribbean)
7. Carnival Glory (8/2004 - Western Caribbean)
6. Carnival Destiny (8/2003 - Southern Caribbean)
5. Carnival Sensation (8/2002 - Western Caribbean)
4. Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas (8/2001 - Mediterranean - Italy & Greece)
3. Carnival Holiday (8/2000 - Baja Mexico)
2. Carnival Imagination (10/98 - Western Caribbean)
1. Carnival Celebration (12/93 - Eastern Caribbean)
North Carolina
43 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by winddawn
Also keep in mind Carnival Corporation has a history of dropping off supplies to weather-affected islands when it is safe to do so. And historically, those donations were greatly appreciated. I've also personally witnessed Carnival allowing ship employees to debark the ship to contribute labor to clean up efforts in the first calls to an affected port as appropriate while allowing passengers to debark to enjoy their port day (or pitch in if they feel so inclined).

I just hope everyone stays safe.
This is amazing. Once it is safe to dock, I think it would be wonderful to have nonprofits partner with CCL to offer excursions as opportunities for passengers to participate in volunteer projects during port days.
36 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
I'm on the Sunshine the first week of December to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Kitts and St. Maarten. I expect a revised itinerary, although I haven't experienced anything like this. I expect St. Maarten is definitely not gonna happen. Curious to see what else. As a previous poster mentioned, is there an expectation when Carnival would revise an itinerary?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app
Iowa
295 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by bowlman23
I'm on the Sunshine the first week of December to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Kitts and St. Maarten. I expect a revised itinerary, although I haven't experienced anything like this. I expect St. Maarten is definitely not gonna happen. Curious to see what else. As a previous poster mentioned, is there an expectation when Carnival would revise an itinerary?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app
I'm on this itinerary on the Vista on 11/4 and I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about the chances of this itinerary actually occurring, especially SXM like you mentioned. I'm actually keeping my fingers crossed that they switch this 8 day Eastern to an 8 day Southern, instead of going Western and adding more sea days- but that is probably naive. The Vista does currently have an established 8 day Southern route though, so I'm loosely holding on to that dream. No clue as to an expected date of itinerary updates, but I'm thinking it won't come until at least Tuesday when offices re-open.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GO HAWKS!

Upcoming:
Carnival Magic: 6/2018- Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk
Carnival Horizon: 3/2019- Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Past:
Ports: Nassau (x4), Cozumel (x2), Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Belize, Isla Roatan Honduras, Key West, CoCo Cay, Freeport, Great Stirrup Cay, Labadee, Falmouth, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao

Ships:

Carnival: Fascination- 2007, Fantasy- 2008, Destiny- 2009, Liberty- 2012, Vista- 2017
RCI Enchantment- 2015 Review!
NCL Sky- 2015 Review!
RCI Independence- 2016 Review!
Carnival Liberty- 2017
Review!
78 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
i would think apart from port issues the cruise industry in general would have some backlash from the way they have handled passengers...especially in Galveston and RCL letting people get there only to cancel rather than give them notice...now the same in Florida...and especially hard to sell these cruises in hurricane season in the future. Honestly the cruises may be cheap but maybe not worth it?
137 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
The -lovely-voyage. I'm going on the same time- same ship. I too, hope they make it southern instead of western. But, u never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Vale, Oregon
206 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
I thought I would share our experience back in 2006 after Hurricane Wilma (Oct 25, 2005). It was a Western Caribbean cruise (HAL Westerdam) in January 2006. Our ports were adjusted and a new port added: Santo Tomas de Castilla which at that time, was a commercial port and not a Cruise port. They set up temporary Vendor/souvenir shelters and excursions. It ended up being our favorite port (if not the most dangerous at the time) It now is a regular port on some Itineraries. Some of the ports (including Key West) were not fully operational but great efforts had been made to accommodate the the cruise passenger industry. Half Moon Cay (HAL's private island) had not re-opened yet so another port was added. The Cruise line was very good about updating us before the cruise. I think they wait to assess the damage, how long it will be to rebuild, and adjust the itinerary accordingly. I think we were notified in late November or early December of the changes.

We are sailing Jan 13, 2018 on Costa Deliziosa and I imagine that our ports may change this time too. We haven't booked any excursions yet and am glad now that we hadn't.

I think, as others have said, that it's important that the folks in these ports have the ability to recover and when they do, that the Cruise Industry return the passengers to help their businesses recover.

Hurricanes are, unfortunately, just the risky part of the Caribbean Cruise experience! We will go wherever they take us and I will be grateful I was able to go!

Prayers and Love to all affected by these storms...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Azure Seas 1989 - Admiral Cruises Viking Serenade 1990 - Royal Caribbean MS Sunward II 1991 - Norwegian Cruise Line MS Zuiderdam 2003 - Holland America Line MS Westerdam 2006 - Holland America Line MS Eurodam 2014 - Holland America Line Costa Deliziosa 2018 - Costa Cruise line
Maine
8,202 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by kathy49
i would think apart from port issues the cruise industry in general would have some backlash from the way they have handled passengers...especially in Galveston and RCL letting people get there only to cancel rather than give them notice...now the same in Florida...and especially hard to sell these cruises in hurricane season in the future. Honestly the cruises may be cheap but maybe not worth it?
There wont be any backlash, and they dont have any trouble filling autumn sailings. Take a look a the stock prices for RCL/NCL/CCL over the past decade and let me know how it looks for them.
2,170 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by elcuchio24
There wont be any backlash, and they dont have any trouble filling autumn sailings. Take a look a the stock prices for RCL/NCL/CCL over the past decade and let me know how it looks for them.

To be fair, this seems like the worst year for US hurricane landfall in about a decade, although I'm too lazy to look that up.
Maine
8,202 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by perditax
To be fair, this seems like the worst year for US hurricane landfall in about a decade, although I'm too lazy to look that up.
Oh for sure. I don't see this season causing people to want to stop cruising during hurricane season, and I certainly don't think there will be any backlash against how the cruise lines have handled things.
897 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
If a cruise line makes poor decisions during a crisis, they deserve to have condemnation heaped upon them, but why a customer would care about that is beyond me. It's not like they own the company, or someone insulted their butt ugly child. Some cruise lines have handled this hurricane admirably and some have stumbled, to put it politely.
1 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Doggielover68
I am wondering what will happen as well. We are sailing on the Glory in November to HMC, St. thomas, grand turk, and San Juan...how long does is usually take to receive a revised intinerary? I know it won't be until after the hurricane is over in Florida.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app
I am also on this sailing and hoping there won't be a revision! Is this just wishful thinking!? I'd rather cancel all together then go elsewhere.. I've done western Caribbean 3 times already.
17,769 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by sonicbuffalo
I'll just about guarantee that St. Marten and St. Thomas won't open for cruisers for a year.
I have to agree with you about St. Maarten, but I think St. Thomas might be ready in six or eight months.
Lockport, Louisiana
215 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by elcuchio24
Are you all paid or just the deposit? if just deposit, would make it much easier...
Our cruise is Oct, 7 and goes to St, Thomas out of Port Canerval. I wonder if they will change that. I hate to drive all the way there to see Western Caribeean when I can drive 40 min to New Orleans instead. We are all paid so I sure hope they let us switch.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Darleen
Carnival Magic 10/7/2017
Carnival Dream 5/8/2016
Carnival Dream 5/31/2015
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 11/22/2015
Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas 4/5/2014
Carnival Elation 4/20/2013
Carnival Elation 11/28/2011
Norwegian Spirit 5/15/11
Carnival Triumph 11/27/2010
Carnival Triumph 5/8/2010
Norwegian Pride of America 9/12/2009
Carnival Conquest 3/07/2004
Carnival Conquest 6/30/2003
Carnival Spirit 6/05/2002
Carnival Fantasy 3/26/2000
Commodore Cruise 4/04/1998
Lockport, Louisiana
215 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by notyouraveragebecky
I am also on this sailing and hoping there won't be a revision! Is this just wishful thinking!? I'd rather cancel all together then go elsewhere.. I've done western Caribbean 3 times already.
I agree, we been there a lot times too
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Darleen
Carnival Magic 10/7/2017
Carnival Dream 5/8/2016
Carnival Dream 5/31/2015
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 11/22/2015
Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas 4/5/2014
Carnival Elation 4/20/2013
Carnival Elation 11/28/2011
Norwegian Spirit 5/15/11
Carnival Triumph 11/27/2010
Carnival Triumph 5/8/2010
Norwegian Pride of America 9/12/2009
Carnival Conquest 3/07/2004
Carnival Conquest 6/30/2003
Carnival Spirit 6/05/2002
Carnival Fantasy 3/26/2000
Commodore Cruise 4/04/1998
1 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by the_lovely_voyage
I'm on this itinerary on the Vista on 11/4 and I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about the chances of this itinerary actually occurring, especially SXM like you mentioned. I'm actually keeping my fingers crossed that they switch this 8 day Eastern to an 8 day Southern, instead of going Western and adding more sea days- but that is probably naive. The Vista does currently have an established 8 day Southern route though, so I'm loosely holding on to that dream. No clue as to an expected date of itinerary updates, but I'm thinking it won't come until at least Tuesday when offices re-open.

I am on the 11/4 Vista also, I won't mind the Southern Itinerary either, as long as they don't shorten the cruise I don;t care where they take us. I just hope they let us know ASAP so we can book different excursions.
Bay Area, CA
1 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Buffalobills
It's just not going to devistate the Caribbean islands. The entire eastern ports of Florida are going to take a direct hit! I live here and have a cruise planned for Sept 16th out of Miami. I'm not expecting at this time to go. Please just pray for everyone's safety at this time.
Hello :-) I believe I am on the same cruise. Carnival Sensation 5 day cruise first stop Nassau? I did see carnival pushed back the 9/11 departure of the ship we are scheduled to be on to 9/13. That's a 3 day cruise to Nassau. So I don't see how they can go on a 3 day cruise and have our cruise still leave on the 16th? I am a cruise virgin and am coming from California so any updates you hear if you could please keep me updated and I will do the same if I hear anything. Thank you and Stay safe new friend. - Anthony
So Cal
6 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
We are scheduled on Carnival Glory Sept 30- Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, St Thomas and San Juan... I'm devastated for the residents of these islands... and concerned for our own safety with the possibility of other hurricanes.. assuming we still sail out of Miami.. no news from Carnival yet...
Maine
8,202 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by Wespiegels
We are scheduled on Carnival Glory Sept 30- Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, St Thomas and San Juan... I'm devastated for the residents of these islands... and concerned for our own safety with the possibility of other hurricanes.. assuming we still sail out of Miami.. no news from Carnival yet...
I wouldnt worry about embarking, unless there is another hurricane during that time. As far as ports, I would assume HMC and SJ wont be a problem, the other two I would guess will be changed.
Westchester, NY
7,336 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by notyouraveragebecky

The cruise line may substitute ports other than the usual Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Cayman western. Those will be overfilling from all the lines diverting their ships there.

Maybe Progresso, Costa Maya and Jamaica will see increased cruise traffic.

I've done the western at least 15 times, but I don't get bored with it and I can always find a new experience when I go there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paradise 1/03, Paradise 8/03, Holiday 4/04, Majesty of the Seas 5/04, Fascination 2/05, Legend 3/05, Legend 5/05, Triumph 2/06, Valor 8/06, Valor 12/08, Destiny 1/08, Valor 7/09, Liberty 10/09, Miracle 1/10, Valor 4/10, Liberty 12/10, Valor 1/11, Disney Dream 2/11, Valor 12/11, Crown Princess Mediterranean 9/12, NCL Epic 3/13, Liberty 12/13, Celebrity Summit 1/14, Crown Princess Alaska CruiseTour 8/14, Conquest 10/14 my first B2B, Freedom 12/14, Norwegian Epic, 1/15, Valor 3/15, Carnival Magic 10/15, Carnival Magic 11/15, Celebrity Summit 12/15, Glory 1/16 - 2/16 B2B, Conquest 4/16, NCL Breakaway to Bermuda, 5/16, Conquest {Diamond} 6/16,Vista, 11 days repo Nov 2016. Glory 12/16, NCL Breakaway 14 days, Jan 2017, Conquest 4/17, Glory 6/17, Carnival Dream 10/17.

Upcoming:: Breeze, 12/17 NCL Dawn, 1/18, Horizon 5/18, MSC Seaside 10/18

[email protected]