Eastern Caribbean Port changes

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:07 PM.
32 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
[quote=5-cruisers;54051980]We also will be on the Vista leaving Oct.7th. Don't really mind if we just have an extra sea day. One more day on board to enjoy a beautiful new ship
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[IMG]http://www.***************/ticker/image.php?code=0XT13265e7Xk2Xs23XFANTASY GETAWAY[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.***************/ticker/image.php?code=0XT13266bcXk17Xs25XVALOR[/IMG]
~ 3 TEENS & A TODDLER ~
Eagan, MN, USA
197 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
TARAM999 hopefully we'll see you on the cruise! We went for the Havana area so that should be interesting and if we miss St. Maarten and add a sea day we may be glad to have that available. Maybe they add HMC or the Dominican, Maybe they take us further south since we have 8 days or maybe we just float around in the sunshine...who knows? Whatever happens we're going to have fun but I kind of hope that we visit some of the original islands so we can bring them tourism dollars.
For those on here commenting about how we should be more concerned about the people living on these islands....do you honestly think all of us don't realize the hardship they've gone thru and are going thru or even that many of us may have family and friends affected by these storms? We get it and don't really need a lecture about wondering about the status of our vacations.
Missouri
5 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Hi Cherrilips, we are also on the Splendor the week of the 23rd and I can't agree with you more that they can use our financial contributions. This is my 5th cruise with Carnival and I too will be just happy to cruise. My husband and I have been praying daily for the hurricane families.
California
259 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
i received an email from a local tour i have/had a reservation for on St. Martin. this is the first communication i received since Irma about what's happening on the island.

(email received 9-14-2017)

To all my valued friends and clients,
I can not thank you enough for your concerns and emails about our safety during Hurricane Irma and St.Martin.
As you have seen in the news, Irma made a direct hit in St.Martin on Sept 5-6. It totally devastated the island. We were lucky and only lost 3 of our 11 boats and everyone is safe.

I personally was able to get evacuated yesterday by fishing boat to St. Kitts where I was able to get on a flight to Chicago with my dog and drive a rental car to Long Island NY. I am lucky to get out with the shirt on my back and a few important belongings and papers.
My house withstood the storm with minimal damage but most others were destroyed. The night of the storm was particularly scary and the days and nights following the storm were also dangerous because of looting.
We are hoping to be back in business by the middle of December 2017 as long as the cruise ships start coming back but that all depends on how quickly the island rebuilds infrastructure.

he believes he could be back in business sometime this December. that would be great news considering the decimation St. Martin experienced from Irma.

sharing this to help others gain perspective on what might occur in the coming months with cruises listing St. Martin as a port.
450 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by CA_Cruzing
i received an email from a local tour i have/had a reservation for on St. Martin. this is the first communication i received since Irma about what's happening on the island.

I can not thank you enough for your concerns and emails about our safety during Hurricane Irma and St.Martin.
As you have seen in the news, Irma made a direct hit in St.Martin on Sept 5-6. It totally devastated the island. We were lucky and only lost 3 of our 11 boats and everyone is safe.

I personally was able to get evacuated yesterday by fishing boat to St. Kitts where I was able to get on a flight to Chicago with my dog and drive a rental car to Long Island NY. I am lucky to get out with the shirt on my back and a few important belongings and papers.
My house withstood the storm with minimal damage but most others were destroyed. The night of the storm was particularly scary and the days and nights following the storm were also dangerous because of looting.
We are hoping to be back in business by the middle of December 2017 as long as the cruise ships start coming back but that all depends on how quickly the island rebuilds infrastructure.

he believes he could be back in business sometime this December. that would be great news considering the decimation St. Martin experienced from Irma.

sharing this to help others gain perspective on what might occur in the coming months with cruises listing St. Martin as a port.
Thanks for sharing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2004 Celebration~ Cozumel
2014 Fascination ~ Nassau, Little Stirrup Cay
2015 Freedom~ Cozumel, Belize, Honduras
2016 Dream~Cozumel, Belize, Honduras

2017 Freedom~Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica
2018 Vista ~ Grand Turk, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan

32 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Can you tell I'm new to this!? I need to delete my 1st comment. I wrote "a extra day" instead of "an" . I have no idea how to delete the entire comment, any tips?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[IMG]http://www.***************/ticker/image.php?code=0XT13265e7Xk2Xs23XFANTASY GETAWAY[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.***************/ticker/image.php?code=0XT13266bcXk17Xs25XVALOR[/IMG]
~ 3 TEENS & A TODDLER ~
450 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by 5-cruisers
Can you tell I'm new to this!? I need to delete my 1st comment. I wrote "a extra day" instead of "an" . I have no idea how to delete the entire comment, any tips?

I believe the edit button is only available for a certain period of time after posting. Not sure the actual exact length of time, but I don't feel like it's very long. Not sure you can delete it entirely, but you could edit it to just say deleted which I've seen before. I'm sure you could probably contact Administration to have them remove it, but I wouldn't worry about it and the case of a versus an. It happens to us all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

32 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by kc58ab
I believe the edit button is only available for a certain period of time after posting. Not sure the actual exact length of time, but I don't feel like it's very long. Not sure you can delete it entirely, but you could edit it to just say deleted which I've seen before. I'm sure you could probably contact Administration to have them remove it, but I wouldn't worry about it and the case of a versus an. It happens to us all.

Ok, I will try to edit, thank you!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

~ 3 TEENS & A TODDLER ~
Liberty, MO
2,212 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Just a thought/question: a few have suggested that if Carnival were to do a western itinerary vs an eastern, it would be cheaper and therefore, the passenger should get a refund. So based on that suggestion, if your eastern itinerary would be changed to a more expensive southern itinerary, you'd be more than willing to pay the additional upcharge?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Breeze, December 2015; Carnival Glory, December 2013; Carnival Triumph, February 2013; Carnival Miracle, March 2012; Crown Princess, June 2007, 20th Anniversary; RCI Voyager of the Seas, Thanksgiving 2004; Carnival Paradise, Thanksgiving 2003; Carnival Fantasy, January 2002 - the start of it all
Carolina Coast
3,314 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Those islands impacted by Irma need the port fees from the cruise ships for recovery. Thus they will try their best to have the cruise ports in tourist form.

We were in Grand Turk a few years ago soon after a hurricane. The port was open, tours were running - even while school was still being held with the student desks outside under the trees.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Smooth Sailing -- Summersigh
HAL–Ryndam–Alaska 2006 Cunard–QM2–TA 2008 HAL–Westerdam–ECarib-Xmas 2009
CCL–Fascination–Bahamas 2010 RCCL–Enchantment OTS–NE/Can 2011 RRCL-FreedomOTS-WCarib-2012
CCL-Legend-ExoticWest-2013 HAL–Westerdam–EasCarib-2013 RCCL-GrandeurOTS-Bermuda-2014 HAL–Eurodam–WestCarib-2015
CCL-Sunshine-EastCarib-Jan 2016 and-May 2016 HAL–Zuiderdam–PC–2016 ** Waiting- CCL-Magic-Dec 2017
450 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by Cruzin2paradise09
Just a thought/question: a few have suggested that if Carnival were to do a western itinerary vs an eastern, it would be cheaper and therefore, the passenger should get a refund. So based on that suggestion, if your eastern itinerary would be changed to a more expensive southern itinerary, you'd be more than willing to pay the additional upcharge?

I think I may have said this before, I think maybe on this thread. Anyway I'll repeat.
No I wouldn't expect to pay more money to go to a more expensive itinerary. I compute this to any other purchase I made, if they cannot deliver the product or service then most expect an equal or greater value replacement.
With that said I realize the contract states they don't have to. I also understand they cannot control the weather.
To me there is a difference between missing a port and going a completely different itinerary.
Also going on a Western itinerary instead of Eastern there are many people that live in the Western side of the United States that could have done that cruise from say Galveston and drove versus Miami and had to fly.
I would purchase insurance and if given notice of this soon enough I would just cancel so it wouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Florida
335 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
On the Sunshine Dec 9th for an 8 day Eastern. Do you think under the circumstances early saver deposits will be refunded?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NCL Epic 1/18/2014 Boy's B-day & Best cruise to date!
CCL Fascination 5/23/2013
RCCL Monarch 12/28/2012
NCL Sky 12/2009
NCL Sky 12/2008
Costa Atlantica 12/2002
Costa Victoria 12/1997 Honeymoon
There were other cruises but my memory isn't as good as it once was. Mom-nesia
VA
14,649 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by Twinzma
On the Sunshine Dec 9th for an 8 day Eastern. Do you think under the circumstances early saver deposits will be refunded?
No, why would they? The cruise is still on as scheduled. Even if some ports change, that’s well within the contract.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
If you have any questions, please contact me at firemanbobswife at ymail dot com. I'm always glad to help!
Carnival Conquest 12/2003, 1/2014, 8/2017
Carnival Valor 1/2005
Carnival Liberty 12/2007
Carnival Glory 5/2013, 10/2013, 5/2014, 10/2014, 5/2015, 12/2015, 2/2016, 10/2016, 10/2017

Carnival Vista 3/2017
Celebrity Solstice 12/2008, 12/2009
Celebrity Eclipse 12/2010, 12/2011
Celebrity Reflection 12/2012
Liberty, MO
2,212 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by Twinzma

For what reason? The cruise hasn't been cancelled.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Breeze, December 2015; Carnival Glory, December 2013; Carnival Triumph, February 2013; Carnival Miracle, March 2012; Crown Princess, June 2007, 20th Anniversary; RCI Voyager of the Seas, Thanksgiving 2004; Carnival Paradise, Thanksgiving 2003; Carnival Fantasy, January 2002 - the start of it all
South Carolina
28,834 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Now "Along Comes Hurricane Maria" which could cause even more changes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
California
259 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Originally posted by OCruisers
Now "Along Comes Hurricane Maria" which could cause even more changes.

Maria already has caused itinerary changes. See Carnival's website for most recent port changes.
San Antonio TX
1,042 Posts
Joined Oct 2011

CA Cruzing , can you tell us what tour operator you are referring to?

We are hoping to book a particular tour next summer and I have wondered how they might have been impacted by this storm. The devastation in St Maarten is heartbreaking and I have wondered how residents will get back on their feet again. If he lost only 3 of 11 boats, well I guess that is a good thing. At least he has something left to start his business back up again. But what a horror overall, for all the people living in these devastated islands. My heart goes out to all of them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Millennium June 2017-- 7 day Alaska review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2524587
Paul Gauguin July 2016-- 11 day French Polynesia review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2394603
Carnival Triumph Jan. 2013 -- 4 day Western Caribbean review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1773312
Carnival Breeze June 2012-- 12 day Mediterranean review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683745
Carnival Ecstasy January 2011 -- 4 day Western Caribbean

California
259 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Originally posted by luckybecky
CA Cruzing , can you tell us what tour operator you are referring to?

We are hoping to book a particular tour next summer and I have wondered how they might have been impacted by this storm. The devastation in St Maarten is heartbreaking and I have wondered how residents will get back on their feet again. If he lost only 3 of 11 boats, well I guess that is a good thing. At least he has something left to start his business back up again. But what a horror overall, for all the people living in these devastated islands. My heart goes out to all of them.
Happy to, http://www.soualigadestinations.com/...s/Welcome.html

Was really looking forward to this excursion. It's the best on SM.

Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy it on your cruise. We'll be back another time and book with him again.
Liberty, MO
2,212 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Happy to, http://www.soualigadestinations.com/...s/Welcome.html

Was really looking forward to this excursion. It's the best on SM.

Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy it on your cruise. We'll be back another time and book with him again.

Never mind
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature