Rooms turned in 90 days out

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:31 PM.
152 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
I was reading in another blog where a group would reserve a block of rooms and turn in the ones that were not sold by the 90 cutoff. There are many things that I don't understand about what I read. I am only curious about one inference. It appears that groups, be it a travel agent or whatever, have rooms held from the general public's access. Please follow my ignorant logic and try not to answer questions I am not asking. I can not see how it would be profitable for a group to put money down on a block of rooms and then lose all that money because rooms were not sold and paid for by the cutoff. I thought that the only way a room was pulled from the available room list was if someone put a deposit on that room. It appears, per what I read, that rooms can be held from the general public by groups without them losing money if those rooms are not sold by the 90 day cutoff. If that is true, it would seem that those rooms would not even be available to a PVP.

Here is my question: Is there any scenario where rooms are not held without deposit by a group and turned in at 90 days out... and if so, are those rooms unavailable to a PVP?

I asked these questions on the blog. I got a "as far as I know" answer. I am looking for a more solid answer. If what I am reading is real, then it opens a new strategy in acquiring rooms... in my mind. I get that individuals will default and lose deposits if they don't pay a reserved cruise off before the 90 cutoff. What I read appears to infer that groups release many rooms at the 90 cutoff as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruised on:
Carnival Legend - 5/31/16
Carnival Conquest - 8/4/16
Carnival Fantasy - 2/20/17
Carnival Victory - 4/17/17
Carnival Breeze - 8/20/17

Cruising on:
Carnival Sunshine - 2/10/18
Carnival Fascination - 8/19/18
TA on 3rd Vista Class ship - ??/??/19
PA
93 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Why would they lose their deposit? If they are doing this I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be using ES and if you aren't using ES or equivalent then your deposit is fully refundable up to the full payment date.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Magic - May 2016 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Sunshine - October 2016 - Canada
Carnival Pride - April 2017 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sunshine - September 2017 - Bermuda
Carnival Horizon - June 2018 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Pride - October 2018 - Bermuda
Carnival Pride - March 2019 - Bahamas
152 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Originally posted by bburk00
Why would they lose their deposit? If they are doing this I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be using ES and if you aren't using ES or equivalent then your deposit is fully refundable up to the full payment date.
Goodness... that is not my question.

Answer one is completely off topic.

Mods... please delete my thread.

It is pointless to ask a question in this place.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruised on:
Carnival Legend - 5/31/16
Carnival Conquest - 8/4/16
Carnival Fantasy - 2/20/17
Carnival Victory - 4/17/17
Carnival Breeze - 8/20/17

Cruising on:
Carnival Sunshine - 2/10/18
Carnival Fascination - 8/19/18
TA on 3rd Vista Class ship - ??/??/19
31 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
I'm new to cruising/using a Travel Agent so I'm not sure if this is a good question or if it helps. Do TAs get special access or special "blocks" of rooms they can sell that, as part of their agreement with the cruise line, they have to turn in at 90 days if not sold? If this is the case, maybe those are the rooms turned in at day 90?
Arizona
630 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
So your histrionics of "Mods... please delete my thread. It is pointless to ask a question in this place." aside, you gave way too much information to not get answers that are not directly what you're looking for. Be succinct if you don't want responses that aren't directly the question you seek an answer to. i.e. Your subject line was fine but then just state:

Is there any scenario where rooms are not held without deposit by a group and turned in at 90 days out... and if so, are those rooms unavailable to a PVP?

My answer is until the group releases the room hold, they are not available to anyone to see them as a room that can be booked. Once they are released everyone who can book a room by calling the 800 #, you looking online, travel agents and PVP's would be able to see that room as available.
1,188 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
Specific room 'numbers' are NEVER held as a 'room block' - the cruise line will only contract with the agency/group to allow them to sell an agreed-upon number of rooms in various categories for specific prices. If a voyage is selling particularly well, the cruise line may 'recall' the unsold space at any time, meaning that the agency/group loses their right to sell those cabin categories at the previously-agreed-upon price.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kwaj girl
East Coast
6,594 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Travel agents set up groups with a certain number of cabins available at their group rate with whatever group amenities they include. They do not reserve specific cabin numbers. If they don't book all of the rooms allotted with the group rate by a certain time, the rate goes away. That's it. They can still book cabins in the group once the group rate expires, but it will be at whatever the current rate is that you choose. The only thing that is "released" is the rate. Again, they are not holding specific cabins. There's thousands of TAs out there. There would be no way on earth to hold actual cabin numbers for every agent that set up a group.

You write a book but then don't have an ounce of patience to wait for an answer. Your premise is wrong completely anyway.
texas
618 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by MaineBirdBrain

I see how you got your name.
South Jersey, USA
1,786 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Brilliant, Dave.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Juergen (and Helen)
Our cruise pictures are at www.juergen.smugmug.com

Next up:

Apr 13 Norwegian Star, New Orleans - Copenhagen (Stern Cabin)
Oct 13 Norwegian Star, Copenhagen - Miami (Stern Cabin)

Been there, done that:
APR 12 Norwegian Epic, Miami - Barcelona (Stern Cabin)
AUG 11 Norwegian Jewel, NYC - Bahamas (Stern Cabin)
APR 10 Azamara Journey, Miami - Barcelona (Stern Cabin)
NOV 09 Norwegian Gem, Barcelona - New York (Stern Cabin)
NOV 08 Norwegian Gem, Barcelona - New York (Stern Cabin)
APR 08 Azamara Quest, Miami - Rome (Stern Cabin)
NOV 07 Oceania Regatta, Barcelona-Miami (Stern Cabin)
APR 07 Norwegian Jewel, Miami - Athens (Stern Cabin)
MAY 06 Norwegian Dawn, Bermuda & Bahamas (Stern Cabin)
MAR 06 Oceania Regatta, Miami-Barcelona
(Stern Cabin)
SEP 05 Norwegian Jewel, Dover-New York (Stern Cabin)
DEC 04 Norwegian Sun, Western Caribbean (Stern Cabin)

United States
14,272 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
"Is there any scenario where rooms are not held without deposit"

All the time. This is standard and common practice. OP, what are you not understanding?
Mississippi
693 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by dave_k58
I see how you got your name.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2017-Carnival Fantasy
2016- Carnival Magic
2016- Carnival Dream
2014- Carnival Fascination
2012- Carnival Elation
2011 - Carnival Triumph
2010- Carnival Triumph
2007 - Carnival Fantasy
2004 - Carnival Holiday
2002 - Carnival Holiday
wisconsin
522 Posts
Joined Aug 2010

WOW....rude much?

You ask a rambling question then quickly dismiss an answer and make rude demands?

Of course rooms are held by many TA's and groups. By 90 days if not sold, they go back into the booking process...nothing lost to anyone.
east coast
880 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
On a cruise to Bermuda, there was a TA on our roll call, that actually stated she had a block of rooms on hold for anybody that was interested in booking with a group rate. She said there were several extended balcony rooms available on different decks, so according to her they were specific to that room category. I always thought how unfair that was to the general public not having those rooms available to everyone when they weren't actually taken yet. If not for being on the roll call forum, wouldn't have known if they were available at the time.
albuquerque
2,831 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by Kwaj girl
Specific room 'numbers' are NEVER held as a 'room block' - the cruise line will only contract with the agency/group to allow them to sell an agreed-upon number of rooms in various categories for specific prices. If a voyage is selling particularly well, the cruise line may 'recall' the unsold space at any time, meaning that the agency/group loses their right to sell those cabin categories at the previously-agreed-upon price.
Originally posted by cruizinisthebest
Travel agents set up groups with a certain number of cabins available at their group rate with whatever group amenities they include. They do not reserve specific cabin numbers. If they don't book all of the rooms allotted with the group rate by a certain time, the rate goes away. That's it. They can still book cabins in the group once the group rate expires, but it will be at whatever the current rate is that you choose. The only thing that is "released" is the rate. Again, they are not holding specific cabins. There's thousands of TAs out there. There would be no way on earth to hold actual cabin numbers for every agent that set up a group.

You write a book but then don't have an ounce of patience to wait for an answer. Your premise is wrong completely anyway.
Maybe there are different levels/tiers of agencies and they get different allotments? I only say this because we use a big box company to book our cruises (rhymes with boscoe) and when we select the category, the site shows specific cabin numbers you can pick from. If all they have are guarantees, that is what is shown. And, if you want a specifc cabin that doesn't show in their inventory, you can call and request that cabin. Or, at least I could for a Celebrity Infinity cruise (I wanted one of the sweet 16 and got it)!

Doesn't answer the OPs question but we seem to have diverged from that a bit anyway

ML
east coast
880 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by NoWhiners
Maybe there are different levels/tiers of agencies and they get different allotments? I only say this because we use a big box company to book our cruises (rhymes with boscoe) and when we select the category, the site shows specific cabin numbers you can pick from. If all they have are guarantees, that is what is shown. And, if you want a specifc cabin that doesn't show in their inventory, you can call and request that cabin. Or, at least I could for a Celebrity Infinity cruise (I wanted one of the sweet 16 and got it)!

Doesn't answer the OPs question but we seem to have diverged from that a bit anyway

ML
That's interesting to know about the big box company, I too have looked at their available cabins and thought they were very limited in choices. Nice to know you can call in and request other cabins and maybe get a good deal. I just thought they were offering some of the less desirable cabins that normally don't sell as quickly for the better pricing. Thanks for the info.!
East Coast
6,594 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by NoWhiners

ML
No it doesn't answer the OPs question but he/she bowed out rudely a long time ago, so we can discuss this without the nasty input. lol

As far as I know, the TAs all work the same. Not holding specific cabins but rather specific group rates for a certain allotment of rooms for a period of time. I know about the site you use. We use one too (rhymes with fusesonly) and they offer the same rates as Carnival down to the penny for every sailing and rate. One thing I have noticed is that certain cabins that don't show up on Carnival's website, do show up on their website. Which is why when I'm searching for rooms, I always use their site to pick what I want. I also use a smaller TA operation and he can see certain rooms that don't show up on the Carnival website. With the smaller operation, he has told us that he cannot book specialty cabins such as wrap balcony and grand scenic oceanviews, etc. using a lower deposit if the group rate initially offers one. I don't know what gives in that regard, but that's been my experience.
Michigan
2,712 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
I was reading in another blog where a group would reserve a block of rooms and turn in the ones that were not sold by the 90 cutoff. There are many things that I don't understand about what I read. I am only curious about one inference. It appears that groups, be it a travel agent or whatever, have rooms held from the general public's access. Please follow my ignorant logic and try not to answer questions I am not asking. I can not see how it would be profitable for a group to put money down on a block of rooms and then lose all that money because rooms were not sold and paid for by the cutoff. I thought that the only way a room was pulled from the available room list was if someone put a deposit on that room. It appears, per what I read, that rooms can be held from the general public by groups without them losing money if those rooms are not sold by the 90 day cutoff. If that is true, it would seem that those rooms would not even be available to a PVP.

Here is my question: Is there any scenario where rooms are not held without deposit by a group and turned in at 90 days out... and if so, are those rooms unavailable to a PVP?

I asked these questions on the blog. I got a "as far as I know" answer. I am looking for a more solid answer. If what I am reading is real, then it opens a new strategy in acquiring rooms... in my mind. I get that individuals will default and lose deposits if they don't pay a reserved cruise off before the 90 cutoff. What I read appears to infer that groups release many rooms at the 90 cutoff as well.
Far as I know....