Galapagos

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:02 PM.
Central Ohio
3,114 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
We went in March, 2006. On the plane home we were discussing when we would be able to go back. There was a lady on the cruise who had been there 21 times.

We were on the Celebrity Xpedition. There were 84 passengers on board. The service was good, but not quite what I expected on a Celebrity cruise. Of course, it was more laid back than a more formal cruise.

The Galapagos were everything we dreamed about. We are wildlife fanatics and had always been disappointed before. Even in Alaska ... twice. The sea lions were so tame you would have to step over the pups laying in the paths. The birds would look at you and you'd swear they were checking YOU out. No touching of course, but you sure could have. The iguanas were numerous and varied.

On the Xpedition there were three levels of tours. We chose the most physical ones the first few days, then I came down with Norovirus. It took two days to be well enough to leave the ship. I was pretty weak so we stuck with the least physical the rest of the trip. Those were mostly just Zodiac (inflatable boat) rides around whatever stop we were at. It wasn't as bad as it sounds. We still got to see a lot of wildlife, just not as up close and personal.

Regarding the Norovirus, I'd say at least 75% of the passengers came down with it. The ship's doctor was great. She came to my cabin to treat me, and that night she came back and found me gone. That lady tracked me down on the ship to see how I was doing. They served me bland meals. Others were being treated the same way. Should we have been confined to our cabin? Perhaps. Maybe that is why so many got sick.

We are planning to go back in 2008.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
________
Linda

74 cruises (682 days) and counting:
Carnival: 8 (57 days)
Celebrity: 2 (14 days)
NCL: 18 (124 days)
Princess: 39 (435 days)
RCCL: 6 (42 days)
Viking: 1 (10 days)

Most Recent;
Nov. '16 - Caribbean Princess, Western Caribbean
July '16 - Explorer of the Seas, Alaska rt Seattle
Aug. '15: Ruby Princess, Alaska rt Seattle
276 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Jsipes,
On two of the islands there were no toilet facilities. ONly on Santa Cruz which is well populated were there facilities.
We loved our trip this Nov. We spent 4 nights on the Galapagos Explorer II. We visited the islands of San Cristobal, Espanola, Santa Cruz, & Chinese Hat. It was a marvelous trip- loved the wildlife which greatly exceeded my expectations which were quite high.
And the Galapagos Explorer II had 100 passengers & was a small cruise ship. We stayed in the lowest price cabin which was a small suite, and the food was terrific. Not what we expected. And the guides/naturalists were super throughout!
My wife is not the greatest hiker/explorer, but she was able to do every hike and was thrilled by the wildlife. She can't swim. So, the rides on the Zodiacs to & from the islands was somewhat stressful, but she perservered.
You should love it! TT
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Commodore-Caribbean-1980
DER-Rhine-1986
Rotterdam-Alaska-1989
Vision of the Seas-Alaska-2002
Nordam-Northern Europe-2004
Viking Burgandy-France-2005
Majesty of the Seas-Bahamas-2006
Viking Century Sun-China-2006
Amsterdam-Panama Canal-2006
Viking Surkov-2007
Galapagos Explorer II- 2007
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas - 2008
Norwegian Sun-South America-2009
Boca Raton, Florida, USA
3,383 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
We went with Lindblad on the Polaris in 2002 - probably the best trip of our lives (rivaled only by Antarctica, which we did in 2005). Lindblad has been doing this for many years and has excellent guides. The Polaris is a bit shabby, but fine for our needs. The food was good. There were about 100 passengers for the one week cruise. We had 1 or 2 landings a day and each person was given a wet suit. The snorkling was great and every landing different and interesting. I would love to go again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Benita
S. Carolina
919 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Benita, I'm interested in the snorkeling and the wet suit. Was it long or short? Were you comfortable? We'll be going in Nov 09 and will have the short ones. I chill easily and want to prepare ahead in any way possible. If you have snorkeled in the Caribbean/Hawaii/Great Barrier Reef how did it compare, both in temperature and what you saw?

We are so excited by the possibilities this trip provides!!!

Thanks for your help.
ninkb
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Alaska Ryndam 98 E. Caribbean Maasdam 01
Aust-NZ Statendam 06 Pan. Canal Zuiderdam 06
Hawaii & S. Pacific Ryndam 07
Hawaii
Regal Princess 07 W. Carib NCL Sun 07
S. Caribbean X Galaxy 08
TransAtlantic Rotterdam 08
Bahamas & FL
NCL Majesty 09
Galapagos Celebrity
Xpedition 09
Caribbean Noordam 10 W. Caribbean Ryndam 10
Bermuda NCL Dawn 11
E. Med
Nieuw Amsterdam 12
Canada and New England Maasdam 13
Voyage of the Vikings Veendam 14
Orlando, Florida
61 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Tomorrow were are departing for a 10 night trip, 2 days in Quito, Ecuador, 7 night cruise in the Galapagos onboard Celebrity's Xpedition, then another night in Quito on the return home. We booked all of this through Celebrity Cruise Line, and we are really excited to be leaving tomorrow!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Triumph- 5 Night Canada- July 2001
Disney Magic- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean- August 2002
Disney Wonder- 3 Night Bahamas- October 2005
Disney Wonder- 3 Night Bahamas- November 2005
Disney Wonder- 3 Night Bahamas- February 2006
Carnival Liberty- 12 Night Mediterranean- May 2006
Disney Wonder- 3 Night Bahamas- October 2006
Carnival Glory- 7 Night Western Caribbean- January 2007
Disney Wonder- 3 Night Bahamas February- 2007
Disney Wonder- 3 Night Bahamas- March 2008
Celebrity Xpedition- 7 Night Galapagos- March 2008
Disney Wonder- 4 Night Bahamas- June 2008
Carnival Victory- 7 Night Southern Caribbean- April 2009
Celebrity Infinity- 7 Night Alaska- June 2009
Carnival Victory- 7 Night Southern Caribbean- April 2010
Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas- 3 Night Bahamas- August 2012
Disney Wonder- 14 Night East Bound Panama Canal- September 2013
Disney Dream- 3 Night Bahamas- May 2014
Carnival Sensation- 4 Night Bahamas- May 2014
Celebrity Silhouette- 7 Night Western Caribbean- March 2015
Carnival Splendor- 8 Night Southern Caribbean- May 2016
Disney Magic- 14 Night East Bound Transatlantic- May 2016
276 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Sophiheyy,
You should have a great time! We loved the Galapagos. It was a magical place. Besides the Galapagos, what else are you doing in South America. Some advice, take lots of pictures! I did & I can relive the trip every day. Have fun! TT
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Commodore-Caribbean-1980
DER-Rhine-1986
Rotterdam-Alaska-1989
Vision of the Seas-Alaska-2002
Nordam-Northern Europe-2004
Viking Burgandy-France-2005
Majesty of the Seas-Bahamas-2006
Viking Century Sun-China-2006
Amsterdam-Panama Canal-2006
Viking Surkov-2007
Galapagos Explorer II- 2007
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas - 2008
Norwegian Sun-South America-2009
Boca Raton, Florida, USA
3,383 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
We went in May. We had short wetsuits. The Galapagos is pretty near the equator, so there is not much fluctuation in water temperatures. After the initial chill, it was quite comfortable to snorkel with the wetsuit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Benita
S. Carolina
919 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Guess I'll try the wetsuit and be prepared for an initial chill. If it's too bad, I can always select another excursion for future days. I believe I heard that Xpedition has some long suits on board also. Maybe that will work.

I really do appreciate your feedback!
ninkb
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Hawaii
S. Caribbean X Galaxy 08
Bahamas & FL
NCL Majesty 09
Galapagos Celebrity
Xpedition 09
Bermuda NCL Dawn 11
E. Med
Nieuw Amsterdam 12
Rockport, Texas
5,836 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
While on the Celebrity Century last week, we booked the Xpedition plus the Machu Pichu post tour. We're going in Sept of 09. I've got more than a year to do research so will be checking here often. We're so excited !!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PLANNING . Emerald-Hawaii, Tahiti
Loved:
ALASKA-Sapphire-Seattle,Ketchikan,Juneau,Skagway
BALTIC-Emerald-Copenhagen,Stockholm,Helsinki,StPetersburg, Tallinn,Gdynia,Oslo
BVI-RoyalStarClipper-Barbados,StBarts,NormanIsland, VirginGorda,Antigua,StKitts,IlesdesSaintes,Dominic a,StLucia
CARIBBEAN:
Bahamas-COSTA Magica/Fascination/Imagination/MajestyOfTheSeas/Century/Caribbean/NCL Skyx4/Ruby/AllureOfTheSeas
East-Star-FtLaud,SanJuan,Tortola,StThomas,GrdCayman
South-Ocean(old)-Barbados,StLucia,StMartin, StThomas,Antigua/Emerald-PCay,StThomas,Dominica,Grenada,Bonaire,Aruba
West-Grand/Ruby/Crown/Dawn-Roatan,Belize,OchoRios,GrCayman,Cozumel,PCay
CHINA-Century Sun-Shanghai,Yangtze,Xian,Beijing
EGYPT-MS Nile Dolphin-Cairo,Luxor,Edfu,Aswan,AbuSimbel
MED-Star-Rome,Naples,Athens,Ephesus,Istanbul,Cairo,Alexandr ia
PanCANAL-Coralx2-CostaMaya,GrdCayman,Limon,Colon
SoAMERICA-Star-Rio,Montevideo,BuenosAires,Falklands, CapeHorn,PuntaArenas,Valparaiso,Coquimbo,Callao,Ma nta,Puntarenas,SanJuandelSur,Manzanillo,Cabo,SanFr an
TAHITI-TahitianB2B-Papeete,Marquesas,Society,CookIslands
TransATLANTIC-Star-Rome,Livorno,Genoa,Cannes,Barcelona,Cadiz,Tangiers ,Gibralter,Madeira,FtLaud
GREEK ISLANDS- HAL Ryndam-10 islands,Athens-Istanbul-Athens

691 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
which cruiseline offers trips to Galapagos? I saw one episode on Discovery Channel and got really intrigued by this island. Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sapphire Princess 07/2007, Alaska
Carnival Pride 1/2004, Mexican Rivera
S. Carolina
919 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Celebrity has a small ship called the Xpedition that sails for 7 nights in the islands. They also offer 10 day trips with before/after cruising in Quito, as well as 11 day trips that add Macho Pichu at the end. There's a LONG thread on the Celebrity board that talks all about it.

Other ships that go are not "major" carriers and are usually shorter itineraries from what I've read.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Hawaii
S. Caribbean X Galaxy 08
Bahamas & FL
NCL Majesty 09
Galapagos Celebrity
Xpedition 09
Bermuda NCL Dawn 11
E. Med
Nieuw Amsterdam 12
726 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by knorrisb07
which cruiseline offers trips to Galapagos? I saw one episode on Discovery Channel and got really intrigued by this island. Thanks
Linblad & Cruise West also offer Galapagos.
20 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Quasar Expeditions http://www.galapagosexpeditions.com has a number of ships to choose from. If you like diving, go with the Lammer Law trimaran, one of the largest in the world. I went on the M/V Evolution and the cabins were huge (as far as cabins go) and the food was awesome! The even surprised one of the passengers with a birthday cake. There were two naturalists on board and they were very knowledgeable about where to find the birds I was interested in seeing. The snorkeling, as you can image, was out of this world! The sea lions are right there with you as though they were saying "Hi. Whatcha doing? Can I come along? Wanna play?"
1,527 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
If you like to be close to:
[IMG]http://www.********.com/Galapagos/wildlife/Gal%2090a.jpg[/IMG]

and
[IMG]http://www.********.com/Galapagos/wildlife/Gal%2090g.jpg[/IMG]

and
[IMG]http://www.********.com/Galapagos/Gal%2092g.jpg[/IMG]

and
[IMG]http://www.********.com/Galapagos/wildlife/Gal%2094g.jpg[/IMG]

and
[IMG]http://www.********.com/Galapagos/wildlife/Gal%20141.jpg[/IMG]

then go the Galapagos Islands.
For details see http://www.********.com/Galapagos.html
USA
2,345 Posts
Joined May 2004
I am very seriously considering a National Geographic ship; has anyone done the Galapagos on NG?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
7 continents and 56 countries (so far) in my "Around a Big World with a Small Bladder" quest.

North America: 39 of the 50 states of the USA
Europe: Netherlands, September 2006
South America: Argentina, January 2007
Antarctica: Antarctic Peninsula, January 2007 (cruise)
Africa: South Africa, June 2008
Australia: Sydney, Tasmania, etc. February, 2009 (cruise)
Asia: Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand, March 2009 (cruise)
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador: June, 2015. (cruise and land)
89 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by Bookish Angel
I am very seriously considering a National Geographic ship; has anyone done the Galapagos on NG?
nope, but we're going in October! I'll report back
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises
2009 - Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Med.
2003 - Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean
2002 - Norwegian Sun - Western Caribbean
20 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
I look forward to your report. Correction on my earlier post: Quasar Expeditions does not have the trimaran Lammer Law anymore, but the good news is that they have permission to dive Wolf and Darwin Islands from their schooner the Alta. I'm wishing I were good enough to dive. I have to be happy with snorkeling...
Pennsylvania
213 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Bookish Angel
DH and I were on the National Geographic Islander in February. It was by far the best trip we have ever taken. We definitely felt that Lindblad did an excellent job. Although a tad expensive, it was a good value.

I'll try to answer any questions as best as I can.

Linda
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Princess Elite Cruiser!

Viking Pride - Frankfurt - Christmas Markets - 2005
Viking Pride - Grand European Adventure - 2006
Viking Aegir - Rhine Adventure - 2012

Lindblad/National Geographic Islander - Galapagos - 2/2009
Lindblad/National Geographic Sea Lion - Napa Valley 10/2009
Lindblad/National Geographic Explorer - Antarctica - 1/2011