Current hotel directors???

Hi,

There are lists in CC going for Current Concierges, Cruise Directors, Captains - how about Hotel Directors? They are responsible for all the ship's departments & how well they're run.

We cruise a lot & notice that on some ships the Hotel Director is visible and sometimes not. It seems to be rare that you find an H.D. that is highly visible and accessible. For example, having cruised the Jewel a fair bit now, we see how important a good H.D. is. Peter Dimitrov of the Jewel is a perfect example of a good H.D. - he believes in Happy Crew - Happy Guest style of management. And it shows. His direct extension is printed on your welcome letter so he can be contacted anytime. Peter is an exception as far as we've experienced. A good H.D. can definitely affect how the ship is managed & have quite an impact on our cruise experience.

But we wonder about other ships. We recently also cruised on another ship & can't even remember what the H.D.'s name was - no impression made, not accessible.

Does anyone think it would be worthwhile to start a Current Hotel Directors List? It might be a way of sharing experiences & comparing ships. Might explain why some ships seems to have a great Vibe while others not so much. Maybe it's because of how well trained the officers/crew are in customer service - passed down from the Hotel Director.

Just a thought...

Cheers,

NJ

I think that’s a great idea! IMHO, Hotel Directors don’t get all the credit where it’s due for the work they do - they’re the backbone behind the customer service value onboard. If you’re able to get a list, please do post it, and those who have sailed with those HDs can provide input. While I cannot name the Hotel Director on any of my past cruises, I can say with certainty that customer service has almost always been on par. Thanks so much again for the idea to start this list!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think that’s a great idea! IMHO, Hotel Directors don’t get all the credit where it’s due for the work they do - they’re the backbone behind the customer service value onboard. If you’re able to get a list, please do post it, and those who have sailed with those HDs can provide input. While I cannot name the Hotel Director on any of my past cruises, I can say with certainty that customer service has almost always been on par. Thanks so much again for the idea to start this list!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks - so glad you agree. You're right - HD's are the backbone of the ship. So far, I only know personally of Peter Dimitrov, Jewel of the Seas.

I don't really know how to start an official list! But if someone wants to offer their expertise or chime in with some advice?? Otherwise, maybe we can just keep it simple.

NJ

Dean Bailey, our favorite, was on the Anthem in February, but seem to recall he said something about moving elsewhere in the spring.

He was on OA in May per a Cruise Compass.

For SY, it seems that the two rotating HD's are Fernando Jorge and Gianluca Corneli.

I read someplace that he was on Grandeur now.

John Denton told me that he was going to the Grandeur but not sure it has happen yet for some reason I thought it was this fall.. He is one of the A list Hotel Directors along with Gary Davies, Robert Taggert and John Ray.

Dean Bailey, our favorite, was on the Anthem in February, but seem to recall he said something about moving elsewhere in the spring.

Dean is a great guy, all smiles 24/7. He's on the Oasis now, at least a few weeks ago. I think he's going to be going back to the Anthem in Sept or so. He's such a positive guy and we enjoyed every cruise with him.

I don't know which HD was responsible, but I felt as if the operation was weaker on Anthem in 2016. Based on what people are saying here, I am guessing that it wasn't Dean.

Not sure who it was on Allure in 2015, but they did a great job. Gianluca Corneli from our HM sailings did a great job as well.

Great idea, an excel list would be great like the other populated lists

Best ever HD is Petar Dimitrov, all time worst Patric Olin

Hi,

Agree, Peter is fantastic. One of the HD's that is totally "accessible" - he doesn't hide. His officers and even Chef Leslie & Chef Alberto walk around and talk to guests. Great attitude.

Is Patric Olin on Serenade? Why is he the worst? Might be going on Serenade... Thanks

NJ

We had Sanjay as HD on Serenade in 2013. Was he the reason why there was rarely anything other than Indian Food at the Windjammer on some nights? That was one of the things that left a sour taste in my mouth about that ship.

We had Sanjay as HD on Serenade in 2013. Was he the reason why there was rarely anything other than Indian Food at the Windjammer on some nights? That was one of the things that left a sour taste in my mouth about that ship.

We had Sanjay on Vision a couple of years ago, one of the best we've ever had.

We had Sanjay on Vision a couple of years ago, one of the best we've ever had.

I don't have much other comments on him as the SR had a decent crew and hotel product, but there was a few occasions where the WJ offered nothing other than Indian food which I don't like. I thought the HD does inspect these venues each evening. It was a summer cruise with a lot of kids onboard as well.

Hi,

Agree, Peter is fantastic. One of the HD's that is totally "accessible" - he doesn't hide. His officers and even Chef Leslie & Chef Alberto walk around and talk to guests. Great attitude.

Is Patric Olin on Serenade? Why is he the worst? Might be going on Serenade... Thanks

NJ

Yes Olin was on Serenade . He has a known attitude against D+ and Pinnacles. We almost had a mutinity when he did not recognize even the minimum C&A benefits. Also he is known with his subordinate staff to only control them per office monitors.

Management by lazyness. Anyway we do not book Serenade when he is onboard. His replacement was Robert Taggart- what a difference in attitude. Even the crew enlightened during Roberts replacement tour. I bet they are back in agony with this HD Olin.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app

Yes Olin was on Serenade . He has a known attitude against D+ and Pinnacles. We almost had a mutinity when he did not recognize even the minimum C&A benefits. Also he is known with his subordinate staff to only control them per office monitors.

Management by lazyness. Anyway we do not book Serenade when he is onboard. His replacement was Robert Taggart- what a difference in attitude. Even the crew enlightened during Roberts replacement tour. I bet they are back in agony with this HD Olin.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app

Well, that must've been something - wonder if any guests contacted Michael Bayley about Olin? Guess some of these HD's have their own little "fiefdom". Thanks for the heads up - will rethink Serenade.

Robert Taggert subbed for Peter 1st two weeks of April on Jewel. What a great guy too - very funny & relaxed. And of course, Canadian! We find that all the officers on Jewel seem to connect with guests in a personal, relaxed way. Can't say enough about them. And this comes from good management attitude.

NJ