How do I pay the corkage fee for extra wine bottles on embarkation?

Hi,

We are going on the Anthem next month and saw the high prices for wine on the ship. I plan to bring another 3-4 bottles from home and pay the extra $15 per bottle. How do I pay the fee so I can bring these to our cabin? I plan to mostly pour the glass in the room, not at the restaurants .

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi,

We are going on the Anthem next month and saw the high prices for wine on the ship. I plan to bring another 3-4 bottles from home and pay the extra $15 per bottle. How do I pay the fee so I can bring these to our cabin? I plan to mostly pour the glass in the room, not at the restaurants .

Thanks,

Dennis

You can’t do this. You are only allowed to bring on 2 x 750ml bottles at your initial embarkation port.

You may or may not be charged the corkage fee on the first 2 bottles. If you drink them in your cabin up you won’t pay but if you consume them in a bar or dining venue they are supposed to charge you however they seem reluctant to do so.

Hi,

Thanks,

Dennis

you don't. the limit is 2 per cabin, period.

1) Travel on Princess.

2) Embark the ship with two bottles, take them to your stateroom. Disembark, re-embark with two more bottles. Generally would not be worth your time????

3) enter security for the ship with two bottles of wine. If asked where your travel partner is? Point at some random passenger that has passed security and say that is your partner. Have partner do the same thing.

I only mention the above because I’ve seen them or know of them happening.

1) Travel on Princess.

2) Embark the ship with two bottles, take them to your stateroom. Disembark, re-embark with two more bottles. Generally would not be worth your time????

3) enter security for the ship with two bottles of wine. If asked where your travel partner is? Point at some random passenger that has passed security and say that is your partner. Have partner do the same thing.

Or.....just follow the rules...

As pointed out it's only two bottles. I have never found trying to circumvent the rules, i.e.: rum runners to be worth the hassle. I recall many cruises ago thinking taking a little in a RR might be nice to have for coffee in the AM on the balcony. Well at the end of the cruise it was still in the RR and we never used it.

You can’t do this. You are only allowed to bring on 2 x 750ml bottles at your initial embarkation port.

You may or may not be charged the corkage fee on the first 2 bottles. If you drink them in your cabin up you won’t pay but if you consume them in a bar or dining venue they are supposed to charge you however they seem reluctant to do so.

Thanks I will be pouring a healthy amount in a tall aluminum coffee mug so that is not an issue.

You can send yourself a bottle or two and then take two bottles aboard. On our last cruise, our TA sent us a bottle as did the cruise line. With the two we brought we ended up with 4 bottles of wine in our cabin.

1) Travel on Princess.

Thanks,Yes our last few cruises have been on Princess that`s where I have seen others paying the corkage fee for additional wine bottles . I am wondering why RCL does not have the same policy ?

First let me say We follow the rules and only bring on two bottles of wine for stateroom drinking. I am trying to remember but I think we were allowed to bring a bottle to the dining room without a corkage fee on our last Liberty of the Seas cruise. We were sailing as part of a group of six and one of the couples brought wine to the dining room with no problems so I thought the rules about corkage had changed. Will someone who is sure please let me know? We are sailing on the Liberty in August so it may matter.

Thanks

Thanks,Yes our last few cruises have been on Princess that`s where I have seen others paying the corkage fee for additional wine bottles . I am wondering why RCL does not have the same policy ?

RC has not publicly revealed why they have different policies from other cruise lines.

1)

never have we ben askd to point to a travel partner.....splitting the bottles works pefektly - so you can have 2 per person in reality! No problem!(y)

Thanks I will be pouring a healthy amount in a tall aluminum coffee mug so that is not an issue.

No need to walk around the ship with the wine in an aluminum coffee mug. Just pick up Some wine glasses at any bar. If you pour your wine in your room you can take it anywhere, including dinner without fear of being charged.

No need to walk around the ship with the wine in an aluminum coffee mug. Just pick up Some wine glasses at any bar. If you pour your wine in your room you can take it anywhere, including dinner without fear of being charged.

Sinned19 intended to bring wine on board in the aluminum coffee mug.

A comparison of prices on board and prices in retail wine stores will quickly explain why RCCI has this policy. Very basically, the bottle of wine you buy at retail, say $10, will cost around four times on board ($40). If you like very good wine, you'll wind up paying well over a hundred dollars a bottle on board.

Of course, you can use my wife's strategy: drink two martinis before trying the wine. Improves the wine immensely.

Sinned19 intended to bring wine on board in the aluminum coffee mug.

They were responding to my initial response and I took it that they were referring to the above that is highlighted and not about trying to bring it on board in coffee mugs.

:mad:

never have we ben askd to point to a travel partner.....splitting the bottles works pefektly - so you can have 2 per person in reality! No problem!(y)

Until they catch on and the privilege of bringing on even two per cabin gets again taken away. We all know who to blame. That would be those who think rules can’t possibly pertain to them.

We just got back off the RC Liberty the 17th.

First, we ended up with 4 bottles of wine in one cabin and weren’t caught. It was an oversight that I’m sure happens often. It actually made me wonder if they even count the bottles.

My sister was in room 661 and we were in the connecting room 663. She traveled in from Arkansas but we are local so I made all the luggage tags so that all the luggage was assigned to my room (663) just so she’d have one less thing to worry with remembering.

Then last minute we decided to take wine. She packed 2 bottles for her room in her luggage and I packed 2 bottles for my room in my luggage. It wasn’t until we were at the port that we realized that all the luggage tags were to one room which made it appear that we had 4 bottles of wine in one room.

Sure enough, both “Wine Bags” ended up in “The Naughty Room”. We headed down ready to surrender 2 bottles if required (we didn’t really care, we aren’t really big drinkers.) her bag was tagged as “liquid” she was asked if she had alcohol and she said “yes” and they said “ok take it” and she did. But my bag was behind security and I had to go through a more secure check. My bag wasn’t flagged for the wine. It was flagged because I had 2 hiking poles. They didn’t even question my wine. They cleared my hiking poles and gave me my bag and sent me on my way.

As for corkage, we showed up to dinner the last night with a bottle of wine we brought only for my other sister (not the one in the connecting room!) to proudly hold up her bottle of Champagne! Haha!

We’d both thought about brining it down in glasses but decided the corkage fee was worth it. Turns out we weren’t charged the corkage on either bottle. Our waiter took both bottles, chilled both bottles, and opened and poured both bottles. I would have gladly paid the $15 for their service but it didn’t show up on our bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They were responding to my initial response and I took it that they were referring to the above that is highlighted and not about trying to bring it on board in coffee mugs.

Yes that is correct, sorry for any confusion. I would not try to bring wine on board in a coffee mug, I stated I would walk around the ship with the wine in a coffee mug, so I can put in a good amount and not worry about spillage or the need to get a refill.