Epic Duplicate Bridge Program

FLAHAM

On each of its 10 sea days, the Epic's fall Transatlantic cruise (Nov 5-18) had an unexpected, pleasant and active duplicate bridge program. The activities had no charge and took place in Moderno's.

The daily two-hour open game attracted about 50 players (12-14 tables). In addition, the daily one-hour beginner lesson and one-hour intermediate lesson each attracted about 30 students.

Just about all the participants enjoyed the program. I hope NCL extends similar programs to all of its longer, high sea day cruises.

Epic TA Fall 2016 and Star TA Fall 2015 both had a bridge director with both duplicate and lessons. Again, similarly attended on both cruises, coincidentally I bumped into my partner from the Star on the first day of the Epic, and we teamed up again to win another NCL mug!

I think its a great addition to the schedule, although probably impractical on port intensive routes. By advertising this, which they dont (even the PCCs dont know whether there is a bridge director on the cruise), NCL would have the opportunity to attract a new constituency of "bridge players" to their cruises.

Agreed with Froggitt, although there's no reason why, on port-intensive cruises, there couldn't be single sessions at 7pm, even if everybody didn't play every day. As for dining, well there was one Earl who once liked playing cards so much, it's said, that he simply had meat placed inside slices of bread....

I have always shied away from TAs, figuring I'd be bored out of my mind. A proper bridge game could certainly shift my attitude. Would need this advertised, and delivered--and I'm not sure how that could ever be guaranteed.

Agreed with Froggitt, although there's no reason why, on port-intensive cruises, there couldn't be single sessions at 7pm, even if everybody didn't play every day. As for dining, well there was one Earl who once liked playing cards so much, it's said, that he simply had meat placed inside slices of bread....

I have always shied away from TAs, figuring I'd be bored out of my mind. A proper bridge game could certainly shift my attitude. Would need this advertised, and delivered--and I'm not sure how that could ever be guaranteed.

They could guarantee a bridge director (they get them thru an agency), tables and cards......not sure they could guarantee the people though.

I doubt though people would play 7pm on port days though, with dinner, shows, other entertainment going on.

On our recent Getaway TA the Bridge program was offered - daily (sea days) in Cagneys.

We had our own daily LCR game.

You'll have to find time to get bored. The Dailies had a page crammed full of activities - printed with narrow single spacing. On sea days same page was printed with double spacing, lol.

TA cruises are great!