Zuiderdam question

rslinky

Sailing on her for first time in November. Are the front observation decks on 4, 5, or 6 open at all times or just at certain times like through the Panama Canal?

Open only on Panama Canal Day and no other time on their Panama Canal cruises in my experience..

Sailing on her for first time in November. Are the front observation decks on 4, 5, or 6 open at all times or just at certain times like through the Panama Canal?

I may be wrong but those decks may have been opened on the Baltic Sea cruises while leaving St. Petersburg to view Kronstadt, and/or sailing through the Stockholm Archipelago. Both are relatively slow sailing while underway and scenic.

The captain had the forward deck open several times on the recent "colors of new england" cruise ending Sept 30. I think it is up to the captain. We were able to go out on several cruising days as well as leaving ports along the way. Good weather, excellent viewing. BTW this ship will be in drydock very soon, and should be refreshed by the time you sail.

I think it is up to the captain.

That works both ways, too. Other than the bow, the forward observation decks were all closed on the Zuiderdam when I did the partial Panama Canal cruise.

Made for a very crowded bow, as fights broke out with people trying to get a better position.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I was hoping they would be open if weather permits as we love to be in front of ship when leaving or entering ports. We have a verandah but like the full view from the front decks. Will remain hopeful they will be open for the Canal.

My favorite viewing location for the Panama Canal was from my Deck 5 fully covered aft veranda on Deck 5 with my private bathroom just a few feet away. Room Service food is a telephone call away so I don't have to lose by viewing location at the railing for a beverage/snack. With a chair for sitting and a table for my nachos, experiencing the canal locks was a great experience.

View from aft veranda:

pc050192-2.jpg

I am so excited that we have booked deck 5 Aft! Thank you!

Congratulations on your good fortune.

Make sure you keep your curtains closed in the afternoon as the sun will heat your furniture and overwhelm your A/C.

Don't miss the Panama buns, filled with custard and mandarin oranges, available at breakfast in the Lido Market with the pastries:

Panama-Buns.jpg?i=1166400058