Best spot(s) on Zuiderdam to enjoy the Panama Canal

Lazz

The best spot is up front to watch the approach to a lock and see the gates open. The bow is opened early in the morning, and people get there VERY early to stake out a spot. However, if you aren't doing a tour in Panama, you can get a good view out front for the trip out of Gatun Lake, and there will be fewer people to share the space with.

Don't choose just one spot. Move around and watch each locking from a different vantage point. It's fun to stand on Promenade deck on a downward locking and watch as the ship lowers and the walls of the canal are right in front of you--you can reach out and touch the Panama Canal! And it's fun to watch for the paint scrapes from previous ships to pass through the lock as the ship moves forward.

Panama buns and coffee are served on the bow in the morning. But if you don't go out there, don't worry, there are bun stations around the various viewing points.

All over is the best spot. I spent the whole day roaming around all deck levels taking lots of pictures. Where ever you are you'll enjoy it. Lots to see, you'll also get a good look at the new locks.

Allan

All over is the best spot. I spent the whole day roaming around all deck levels taking lots of pictures. Where ever you are you'll enjoy it. Lots to see, you'll also get a good look at the new locks.

Allan

I totally agree with this, especially having done 4 full transits. Do not stay on your balcony, get views from all angles and low-down as well - the promenade deck is a great place to watch the workings of the "mules". All forward decks will be open, and the one in front of the gym - while high up - is a good vantage point when entering the locks. And affords an excellent view of the new locks.

Make friends (perhaps on your roll call board on Cruise Critic or from your Meet & Greet) with someone who is in an aft-wrap cabin (deck 5 is the best IMO) and perhaps they will invite you over for the PC passage! We did this on one cruise and had a great time!

The deck 5 aft-wrap can hold 40 people easily.

The ship will start approaching the locks at around 5 AM -- passing lots of freighters all lit up -- anchored.

You will actually begin to go through the locks any time from 6:30 - 7:30 -- depends on the traffic in front of the ship.

As you approach the last set of locks, try to get to the Lido aft and look at the locks from that direction.

Don't forget to try the Panama Buns -- they are only available on that day.

We were in a Deck 5 aft-wrap Neptune (huge veranda) for our Z-dam Canal experience. We went to the bow for the approach and then migrated back to our veranda. You could almost touch the wall of the canal, and the locks open or close just feet from the stern. We were advised to book this location for the Canal (great advice), but they neglected to tell us the about the addictive nature of the Neptunes. We haven't looked back.

We had an aft cabin and after watching the entry to the locks from the bow enjoyed the rest of the day on our balcony. Well, my Sweetie did, I spent some time running for sandwiches and cold beverages for him!

He was intrigued by the mechanics of the locks! So amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Both. They are raised from Atlantic/Caribbean side into Gatun Lake. They head towards the Pacific (actually southeast), through the Canal, then are lowered to the Pacific Ocean level.

Thanks! That makes some conflicting posts I've read less confusing!

Thanks! That makes some conflicting posts I've read less confusing!

You have to remember there was a several hundred foot high ridge between the Atlantic and the Pacific. It was unsuccessfully attempted to do a sea level Canal ocean to ocean. Instead, they cut through some, but not all, of the ridge. A little research will get you the actual elevations, but this is a summary.

Can someone tell me if a west bound ship is going up or is lowered?

As Cruiser Bruce indicated, it is both. In either direction the ship is raised approximately 85' above sea level. The ship then crosses the Isthmus of Panama at that level and then is lowered back down to sea level. Discounting tidal variations the sea is at the same level on either side of the Canal, in other words raised 85' on the way in and lowered 85' on the way out.

The portion of the Canal Cruiser Bruce is referring to is the Gaillard Cut or as it is called now which was the original name, Culebra Cut. Some of the low points between the peaks were over 400' above sea level, a lot of soil had to be removed.

Before the Canal expansion was recently completed the highest level of the bottom of the Canal which was in Gaillard Cut was still 40' above sea level. There has been a massive amount of dredging to deepen the Canal for deeper draft ships that will be using the new locks. The bottom is now approximately 35' above sea level.