questions about Summit in May to Bermuda

MarkE

We are looking at Summit in May to Bermuda we have sailed on the Summit about 1year ago have they made any improvements it was a little worn in some areas last year. How is the weather in May? Recommendations on things to do in Bermuda.

We are looking at Summit in May to Bermuda we have sailed on the Summit about 1year ago have they made any improvements it was a little worn in some areas last year. How is the weather in May? Recommendations on things to do in Bermuda.

Can’t help with the condition of the ship but the worst weather in over 20 cruises we ever had was in May leaving Bermuda. That is a very unpredictable area to cruise to or from.

May 8, 2016 Summit Bermuda A1, perfect (not kids). Wonderful Cruise, we would pick this week again. Got the $5 a day Premium Drink Package Mother's Day upgrade.

27063981046_34dea57ac2_b.jpg

32993641182_a7c451ae75_b.jpg

CaptDave

Don't even think about going in the water in Bermuda in May. The Summit pool will do fine. May is the cheapest month for the Summit Bermuda Cruise. I have done Bermuda in June before the kids are out of school, that's nice too.

I have been to Bermuda about 50+ separate times in my career (retired G-IV Captain).

May 8, 2016 Summit A1 Bermuda Cruise photo's.

26904979563_e849b30b13_b.jpg

27087242266_7d36f186b6_b.jpg

26983129662_370da4e76e_b.jpg

CaptDave

Can’t help with the condition of the ship but the worst weather in over 20 cruises we ever had was in May leaving Bermuda. That is a very unpredictable area to cruise to or from.

I certainly can't question your experience but I don't agree that Bermuda per se is an unpredictable area to cruise to and from. We've never cruised there in May but have cruised there from both NY and Baltimore several times during their season and have experienced conditions from extremely calm seas to at times moderately rough seas. Sea conditions - other than when associated with storms - are always unpredictable in any ocean.

What’s easier Hamilton or Royal Dockyard?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Easier, as far as what? Hamilton port (I believe only Holland America docks there)...is where all of the shops, restaurants, bars, essentially a walking town. The Dockyard, although quite a few things there, is much smaller, but the port is much bigger to accommodate the larger ships.

Oh, and you can get from one port to the other very, very easily. Public Bus or Ferry. (we love the ferry. Beautiful ride, taking in all of the sites along the way)

Edited by champagne123

We visit Historic St Georges on the first day. Take the first Ferry, don't be late there a line.

Visit Hamilton or anywhere else on the Island on the second, very easy to get to by loads of Ferry's / Taxi's / Buses"s.

Third and last day visit the Royal Dockyard, it's right there. Visit you British Museum on the hill first (a must visit), work your way back to the ship. You are right there ready for departure.

I don't like to worry about missing the Summit. Have lunch and relax in St Georges the first day.

32811095300_c63cf68bbf_b.jpg

33131385496_56c2d11a02_b.jpg

32993641182_a7c451ae75_b.jpg

CaptDave

We took the Summit in late April from San Juan with 2 days in Bermuda about May 1. Ship was bit worn but we were very happy with it. I would take it again.

As for Bermuda the weather was high 70's and sunny both days. As for the ocean I expected it to be far to cold to swim so I did not book the Snorkel trip I wanted to take.

The thing is we went to the beach and I swam a bit. It was cold but not that awful once you are in for a bit.

On day 2 we went to Snorkel Park. I snorkled for over an hour. It was ok.

Love Bermuda and plan to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmm.. in my 6+ may bermuda cruises we have always had good weather. Does it rain sometimes yes but that's life. The worst weather we had there was in June when it was raining and in the 50's. That even beat the hurricane we endured in October while staying for the grand slam of golf a few years back.. That being said we never thought the water in may was cold, but maybe some expect it too be much warmer like the Caribbean.. def use the water taxi and bus system_ super easy and convenient! Also agree to to St George on the 1st day.

I've taken the Summit to Bermuda two May's in a row - granted, it was late May each time, but I had a blast. The weather was sunny and warm but not too hot during the day - definitely pool weather! Weather at sea on both trips (both departing and return trips) was perfect. Maybe a few small rain storms but nothing out of the ordinary. It was a bit windy/cooler in the late evenings from time to time. I also did a scuba excursion there and while I did wear a full wetsuit, neither a hood nor gloves/booties were needed, so I don't think the water was all that cold, but I didn't get in at the beach at all.

The Bermuda trip is my favorite - no island hopping, and the people in Bermuda are very polite/kind. Personally I would skip seeing the crystal caves again, but that's not really something I was interested in. There is a fun beach/dance/party right off the ship on the beach each night - I think there is a cover fee and the crowd tends to be younger (and the drinks $$). Last time we had more fun taking the ferry and just walking around Hamilton on our own.

Enjoy!

We went to Bermuda two years ago in May, and the water temp was fine for us. It was sunny and warm (80's air temp), so we were happy. (The locals don't get into the water until the end of May, but we're from NY/NJ, so we were fine with the water temp.)

The cruise to Bermuda a week after our cruise, there were terrible wind and sand storms, you couldn't go into the water because of the jellyfish-like creatures, and most excursions were cancelled. Some people said it was the worst Bermuda cruise they had ever done.

We tried going to Bermuda a few years before - but were re-routed to the Bahamas (ugh) because of some hurricane threats.

We decided that May would always be a better choice than September :)