Nervous about travel documents - please help!

travelingfrugal

I never said that everyone HAD to have one. Or that everyone's needs are different. I was commenting on the difference in attitude about passports between Americans and others.

Oh, and I had not realized, if you get stuck and need an emergency passport, it is not a full duration passport, it is only good for 12 months. And as far as I know, costs the same as a regular passport.

I never said that everyone HAD to have one. Or that everyone's needs are different. I was commenting on the difference in attitude about passports between Americans and others.

Oh, and I had not realized, if you get stuck and need an emergency passport, it is not a full duration passport, it is only good for 12 months. And as far as I know, costs the same as a regular passport.

The fact that not everyone has to have one and that everyone's needs are different are what helps drive the attitude about passports. The size of the US with all there is to see and do is another part. And yes, under some circumstances an emergency passport can be of limited validity, if one is even needed in the first place (see the recent thread about the poster who returned from Mexico without a passport).

I had a my renewed passport in 5 weeks with regular processing. So with expedited processing, it is most likely that you will receive your passport within one month.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just did ours, but we did pay for the overnight. It was 7 days from the time we sent them off until the time they arrived back in the mail. Add another week for normal mail.

We just did ours, but we did pay for the overnight. It was 7 days from the time we sent them off until the time they arrived back in the mail. Add another week for normal mail.

That’s fast! I put in a call today to see if I could add on the overnight charge now (I had only expedited) and they allowed me to. So, hopefully it’s worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

We did passports last month. My 4 year old son and myself got our first passports. Standard turn around, standard shipping, arrived in the mail 13days later!! We were shocked. Our cruise was 2 months away and our backup was to just use birth certificates if 2 months wasn’t long enough. I already had a spare birth certificate for him but I hadn’t even ordered my spare by the time my passport arrived.

Whether or not it is covered by an exception: a closed loop cruise is a closed loop cruise. WHTI is not the only context in which being a closed loop cruise is significant.

Under PVSA rules a foreign flagged ship may not carry passengers between two different US ports, but may carry passengers on a closed loop cruise.

That's not accurate. A foreign flagged ship may carry passengers between two different US ports if the itinerary includes a distant foreign port. For example, Panama canal transit cruises running between Florida and California which have a stop in South America to satisfy the distant foreign port requirement.

A closed loop cruise only needs to visit a nearby foreign port - which is why a round trip from Seattle includes a stop in Canada (such as Victoria).

A “nearby foreign port” is defined as "any port in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, orthe West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands ofthe Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao). Any other foreign port is distant.

(There are also a few waivers but those seem to be generally to allow foreign vessels to provide ferry service in places where there isn't any US carrier available and don't generally affect cruise itineraries.)

It is always funny to me. Americans are so anti-passport.

Most of the rest of the world has a passport. And they carry it

with them pretty much all the time. I was just talking a Brit, in Timor (he was via Australia), about this. He doesn't understand it either.

Please do not lump all Americans (or any group) as all the s ame, We are not all alike. I most assuredly am not anti passport nor are any of my friends. I try hard to not imply all of a 'group' are the same when it comes to personal opinion or choice.

Please do not lump all Americans (or any group) as all the s ame, We are not all alike. I most assuredly am not anti passport nor are any of my friends. I try hard to not imply all of a 'group' are the same when it comes to personal opinion or choice.

I know that some Americans are anti-passport, but I don't know anyone that actually is.