Ovation of the seas Alaska 2019!

CRGcbus

Decisions to make! Ovation as a new class to us but RT Seattle with added days to Canada ( Vancouver and Baniff) by car on our own or a one way on an older smaller ship with added land days with Royal to see more of Alaska. ( we've done all class of royal ships except vision and quantum.)

Suggestions?

We have never been to Alaska and will be celebrating our 40th Anniversary and are thinking 10 to 12 days total. I'd like to book this week if we can decide. We are also open to Celebrity.

Decisions to make! Ovation as a new class to us but RT Seattle with added days to Canada ( Vancouver and Baniff) by car on our own or a one way on an older smaller ship with added land days with Royal to see more of Alaska. ( we've done all class of royal ships except vision and quantum.)

Suggestions?

We have never been to Alaska and will be celebrating our 40th Anniversary and are thinking 10 to 12 days total. I'd like to book this week if we can decide. We are also open to Celebrity.

I'd do the southbound cruise tour on Radiance. Do the land portion first and fly home from Vancouver.

Someone referenced the Ovation in Alaska elsewhere, and I checked and didn't see anything. Nice to know this is actually happening! I'm going to Alaska in June with Princess, but it's nice to see a newer ship out there. To me that's always been a downside to cruising Alaska. I know one cruises Alaska for the itinerary, not the ship, and cruise lines are typically going keep their biggest and newest ships in the Caribbean because that's where the money is. This is good, though I wish RC went to Glacier Bay, which is why I am going with Princess this time. I would be interested in some less popular ports, like Icy Strait Point or Sitka.

I’ve be wondering why the explorer is advertising a repositioning Cruise to Singapore.

Sorry to hear the US is getting the ovation .

Asia’s gain Americans lose.

I’ve been on it before and I wasn’t very impressed.

It’s a nice new ship but it doesn’t have the charm of the older ships.

Apparently it’s built for the Asian market,it doesn’t have many outdoor features.asians don’t like the sun.

The cabins are nice,probably the best part of the ship.theres not many suites ,mostly standard twin.

270 is also a great feature,something out of this world.

Apart from that you may as well go to your local shopping mall for a week.

I would be interested in some less popular ports, like Icy Strait Point or Sitka.

I saw a post on the Deployment thread that said the Ovation will do a 3 part repo to Alaska and the last leg will be an Alaska cruise Vancouver to Seattle with those ports included. I am interested in that one if the price is right.

Any recommendations on the upper deck Large Ocean View Cabins? Are they all the same?

I’ve be wondering why the explorer is advertising a repositioning Cruise to Singapore.

Sorry to hear the US is getting the ovation .

Asia’s gain Americans lose.

I’ve been on it before and I wasn’t very impressed.

It’s a nice new ship but it doesn’t have the charm of the older ships.

Apparently it’s built for the Asian market,it doesn’t have many outdoor features.asians don’t like the sun.

The cabins are nice,probably the best part of the ship.theres not many suites ,mostly standard twin.

270 is also a great feature,something out of this world.

Apart from that you may as well go to your local shopping mall for a week.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

The Ovation will be perfect for Alaska because of its large and wonderful solarium.

She has plenty of outdoor spaces...perhaps you didn't visit decks 14 and 15.

The indoor Seaplex will be perfect for Alaska's cooler temperature.

Currently on the Ovation now and enjoying the Two70, the bumper cars, and most specially the Ifly.

The Ovation will be perfect for Alaska because of its large and wonderful solarium.

It looks like to start, Ovation's competition (as far as new/large ships) will be NCL's Bliss. From what I know about each ship, I think Ovation will be the better choice, as there are more indoor/sheltered activities. I was shocked to read that Bliss' headliner activities are bumper cars and laser tag, both of which seem like they wouldn't be able to be used much due to winds and/or rain.

However, neither are the "best" ship for Alaska overall, as they do round trip cruises which only hit the main ports and Tracy Arm (assumed for Ovation by comparison to Explorer). If someone is doing a once in a lifetime Alaska trip, if their budget allows, the one-way cruises with a land portion added on are typically recommended. We live in Seattle though and have treated Alaska cruises like just another vacation. Someday we'll probably do a one-way, but they are way more expensive.

I'm still non-patiently awaiting the release of Ovation's 2019 schedule. I'm most curious whether it will do the Pacific Coastal runs in September same as Explorer, as that will impact what we choose for our 2018 cruise.

It looks like to start, Ovation's competition (as far as new/large ships) will be NCL's Bliss. From what I know about each ship, I think Ovation will be the better choice, as there are more indoor/sheltered activities. I was shocked to read that Bliss' headliner activities are bumper cars and laser tag, both of which seem like they wouldn't be able to be used much due to winds and/or rain.

However, neither are the "best" ship for Alaska overall, as they do round trip cruises which only hit the main ports and Tracy Arm (assumed for Ovation by comparison to Explorer). If someone is doing a once in a lifetime Alaska trip, if their budget allows, the one-way cruises with a land portion added on are typically recommended. We live in Seattle though and have treated Alaska cruises like just another vacation. Someday we'll probably do a one-way, but they are way more expensive.

I'm still non-patiently awaiting the release of Ovation's 2019 schedule. I'm most curious whether it will do the Pacific Coastal runs in September same as Explorer, as that will impact what we choose for our 2018 cruise.

Also impatiently waiting! Is it supposed to be today? I even logged thinking it was a C&A pre-sale but nothing. Booked the Explorer for next fall Pacific Coastal but would love to switch to the following year for Ovation.

Compared to what? Many times the same week, Radiance was cheaper than Explorer last year.

I've looked a few times, and the cost of a one-way on any of several cruise lines was significantly more than a round trip cruise, including over a $1,000 difference on Explorer vs. Radiance. Then once you add airfare (and likely more and/or more expensive excursions for new-to-me ports), its way more. However, it may depend on when you book, what class of room (I was looking at balcony), and what time of year .

I spotted the Ovation schedule. However, it wasn't clear whether they will be doing any Pacific Coastal runs after Alaska. I'm guessing not though, as the last Alaska cruise is Seattle to Vancouver (instead of Seattle round trip), and they have previously done Pacific Coastal as round trip Seattle. So now I'm curious what route they will be doing starting September 20 2019 from Vancouver after the Alaska season!

We've been waiting for months for this schedule, but I see it is out of our price range...twice what we paid for Radiance first trip back in 2013 for the same cabin 9256. Ovation even more...Cruising is rapidly pricing itself out of our range. $2700<$5000!

Guess from now on we'll be land cruising..............sigh:loudcry:

Looked at the cruise for Ovation and was disappointed that she is too big to fit, to see the Hubbard Glacier, which should be a major must see in Alaska. So a Seattle round trip is not for me, now looking at other options/ships.

Too big???? Hubbard's bay is huge, the fjord much smaller, don't understand that............maybe it's depth that's the problem, but I recall the captain telling us it was very deep in front of Hubbard. Hubbard definitely the better of the two, I've been to both, I too was disappointed with the lack of Hubbard for Ovation but more disappointed that we can no longer afford this cruise. Boo Hiss!

Looked at the cruise for Ovation and was disappointed that she is too big to fit, to see the Hubbard Glacier, which should be a major must see in Alaska. So a Seattle round trip is not for me, now looking at other options/ships.

Too big? Hubbard is about five miles wide.

Greetings to Epsom, where I grew up:)

The 11 nighter on May 13th looks awesome! But man is it pricey. $4715 for the cheapest non-obstructed balcony.Mon 13May2019Vancouver, British Columbia-5:00 PMBoardingTue 14May2019Cruising--CruisingWed 15May2019Cruising--CruisingThu 16May2019Icy Strait Point, Alaska9:00 AM8:00 PMDockedFri 17May2019Sitka, Alaska7:00 AM6:00 PMTenderedSat 18May2019Hubbard Glacier (Cruising)8:00 AM11:00 AMCruisingSun 19May2019Juneau, Alaska7:00 AM9:00 PMDockedMon 20May2019Skagway, Alaska7:00 AM8:30 PMDockedTue 21May2019Endicott Arm Dawes Glacier7:00 AM12:00 PMCruisingWed 22May2019Cruising--DockedThu 23May2019Cruising--CruisingFri 24May2019Seattle, Washington6:00 AM-Departure

I am looking at this cruise. Any suggestions on location for cabins?

Since it's Alaska, I recommend an unobstructed balcony. We usually like the mid-ship(ish) cabins close to an elevator, but you may feel differently.

Since it's Alaska, I recommend an unobstructed balcony. We usually like the mid-ship(ish) cabins close to an elevator, but you may feel differently.

I went ahead and reserved cabin 8278 - it's 8D category for total 5200. That didn't see like too bad of a deal for 11 night cruise on a new ship to Alaska. I hope this is a good cabin. I really haven't researched this ship or itinerary too much but Alaska has always been on my bucket list. I did pay more to have refundable deposit. Thinking about transferring to a TA to get some OBC.