Do you ever binge on food?

tennisobo

I did. I couldn't figure out why I would diet, lose some weight, and then have a binge eating episode. I thought maybe I was addicted to food. Why wasn't I able to just not eat so much? When my husband wants to lose a few pounds he just eats less and exercises more and he sheds the few pounds he needs to.

After more research on the internet I found information about an eating disorder called Binge Eating Disorder. Surely I don't have an eating disorder, I told myself. But the more I read about B.E.D. the more I thought maybe I did. I scheduled an intake appointment with a local eating disorder clinic. The therapist confirmed that I do have B.E.D., although fortunately a mild form.

I have since found out that B.E.D. is a new diagnosis that has only been legitimized in the last year or so. This is covered by most health insurance companies.

If you think this may be something you are struggling with, read this from the bingeeatingdisorder.com:

"Information About Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.):

• B.E.D. is a real medical condition
  • B.E.D. is the most common eating disorder in US adults

Although the cause of B.E.D. is unknown, these may play a role:

• Certain chemicals in the brain
  • Family history and certain life experiences

What B.E.D. Looks Like in Adults

• 1 Regularly eating far more food than most adults would in a similar time period and in similar circumstances, and feeling that one's eating is out of control during a binge
  • 2 Binge eating episodes that include three of the following:
    • Eating extremely fast
    • Eating beyond feeling full
    • Eating a lot when not hungry
    • Eating in secret to hide how much is being eaten
    • Feeling terrible after a binge

• 3 Feeling very upset by eating binges
  • 4 On average, binge eating at least once a week for three months
  • 5 Unlike people with other eating disorders, adults with B.E.D. don't routinely try to "undo" their excessive eating with extreme actions like throwing up or over-exercising

This is not a complete list of Binge Eating Disorder symptoms. It is always best to talk to your health care provider for an individual diagnosis."

I only have a few of these symptoms.

I have been in treatment since late June. I understand myself much better now. Have I lost any weight with my new knowledge? No. But I now believe I have the information I need to eat more like a "normal" person. I believe this will ultimately lead to weight loss. I'm still struggling with eating when I'm not hungry. I'm still thinking about food a good portion of every day. But I have some tools to help me cope with these problems and I think weight loss is possible.

This condition is very difficult for me to admit to having. But if this helps even one of you reading this, then it has been worthwhile for me to write this post. Since it is a new diagnosis this condition is very under-reported and under-diagnosed. Please get help if you think you may have B.E.D.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Two weeks ago I decided to commit to eating like a "normal" person; meaning eating whatever I want in moderation. There are no bad foods. There are some other tools the therapist has taught me. I was hoping I would lose about a pound per week. I have met that goal. I am hopeful this will continue. It's great having food previously viewed as wrong, like a few cookies, etc.

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

I also have issues with binging. I have learned to control it to a certain point. I now keep really low calorie items (sugar free popsicles or fresh veggies) and will try to just eat those type of items when I am having an episode. Happy to say I have lost 70 lbs & have about 40 more to go. :)

Thank-you so much for posting. It's helpful to me to hear of your success. Yay you for losing so much weight. Your snack ideas are great. I wish I liked veggies better. Please post any other things you think would help me. I have forty pounds to lose.

Hi

I struggle with this. What has helped me is that I just don't have things like that in the house any more.

If I want something, I have to walk to the shop, and I make sure I actually buy something "nice"... not that big family size bar of candy, but the small single size one that is aimed at "grown ups" (that is probably more expensive than the family size one)

and when I get home and eat it - I enjoy it. and because I haven't worked myself into a state of distress, the binge is over before it really begins.

But most important - whilst we are trying to change our habits we should still love ourselves and appreciate our bodies regardless of the shape they are at the moment. Everything starts in the mind!

Susieanna:

Thank-you for posting. You are right about buying a smaller size snack. I used to buy the larger cheaper-by-the-ounce candy. I thought I could make it last several days. But I almost always ate the whole thing and then felt bad about it. Now I buy the single size regardless of price.

I see my eating disorder therapist this week for the last time before my cruise. She will be on maternity leave by the time I get back. I think it's good to check in with her before getting on a ship full of food. In the past I have only gained 1 to 3 pounds on cruises so I'm not worrying too much about it. We like to take the stairs on the ship most of the time and I know that helps.

I have also had a bad past with binging on food. When things were at the worst I would go to the grocery store and literally buy anything and everything I wanted to eat (all junk of course) and just go to town for the rest of the weekend eating everything in sight. I felt awful about myself afterwards, but in the moment it felt like something that I didn't have any control over.

Thankfully I was able to figure out what was triggering these episodes and now I am able to eat treats occasionally instead of going out of control.

For me I have found that portion control is a big help, so I started doing 21 Day Fix back in October. I'm happy to say that I have lost 17 pounds in three months and am continuing on my weight-loss journey so that I can be healthy and happy on my cruise coming up at the end of April.

Thanks for starting this board! I think it's something that a lot of people struggle with but don't feel comfortable talking about.

B-sizzle: Thanks so much for your post. I don't have a specific trigger so it has been a struggle to avoid over eating. I haven't had a true binge since last year. I don't think I will ever do that again.

What is the 21 day fix? My ED therapist does not want me on a diet. Congratulations on your weight loss! I hope I can do as well soon.

Tennisbo: It's good to hear it's been so long since you've had a true binge and that you don't think you'll ever do it again. That must be a good feeling!

21 Day Fix is a program that is based around portion control. You use colored containers for each food category and keep track of how many containers you've eaten each day. For example, the green container is for vegetables and I am able to eat six of those a day. I wouldn't necessarily call it a diet because it really is a lifestyle change.

There are also workouts that you can do at home with the DVD's that are 30 minutes every day. They mix up cardio and weightlifting, along with yoga and Pilates.

I would definitely recommend it! It's working for me :-)

It helps that I am a coach, so my weight loss story is very public and that gives me added accountability. If you would like any more information feel free to email me. My email is besidebeth@gmail.com.

• 3 months later...

DM_kid:

I did try JUDD a few years ago. I could not keep going because the down days were so difficult. My eating disorder therapist strongly opposes any kind of diet. I think I have a long road to weight loss. Patience is definitely needed. Thank-you for your post and for trying to help. Support is always appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I am certain that I fall into this issue. I LOVE food and cannot help it. I am also an extremely fast eater, always have been.

To help with my episodes, i make a healthy cookie and keep in the freezer and will limit myself to 5, though i can have up to 10 at any time.

Also, i have found that i can avoid the binges usually by making something from scratch and then enjoying 1 of them. I love my cupcakes! spending 1-2 hours baking and frosting a cupcake and then enjoying 1 really does help a lot. It not only burns calories while baking them but forces me to wait for it. It also allows me to get some "instant" gratification by tasting my creation during the process. The left overs i give 1 to each of the family and take the rest to work for my co-workers. I typically do this once a week.

I agree! Diets do not work because they eliminate food groups. Cravings are the result of not eating balanced meals. Moderation; not deprivation. Include all food groups, and do not deprive yourself from eating your favorite foods. I like to eat healthy, and make healthier versions of my favorite foods. For example: If I want to eat tacos, I make them with 95% lean ground beef, ground chicken breast, or ground turkey. I buy whole wheat soft and crunchy tacos, and top them with fat free cheese instead of whole, and I don't put any sour cream. I love to exercise and train with weights and do cardio.

• 3 weeks later...
I also have issues with binging. I have learned to control it to a certain point. I now keep really low calorie items (sugar free popsicles or fresh veggies) and will try to just eat those type of items when I am having an episode. Happy to say I have lost 70 lbs & have about 40 more to go. :)

Way to go!!! I need to get help with this as I have tried and failed on my own more times than I can count.

• 1 month later...

Definitely in this category. I used to binge on many different foods - cookies, peanuts, candy, hot dogs, pizza. Over the past few months I've been on the Nutrisystem diet and lost 33 pounds. It's forced me to eat small portions and, to a certain extent, has weaned me off binge eating.

But given the right circumstances, I can easily see myself binging out once more. It's a constant struggle.

• 9 months later...

Update on me ( the OP)

It has been a couple of years since I was diagnosed. In that time I have gained 25 lbs. but I have also gained knowledge of myself and E.D. I am doing pretty well and have lost 5 lbs in the last four weeks. I have found a form of exercise that I don't hate: reclining stationary bike. I have been doing 8 to nine miles a day four days per week. I'm hoping that will also help build muscles that will support my knees. My mom has had both knees replaced and she has never been more than 25 lbs overweight.

I have been cutting some carbs, too. I still eat many things that are high carb (cookies, ice cream, etc) but I don't eat too much of them. So far this plan of exercise and lower carbs has worked. I will check back in here when I have lost the next 5 lbs.

Btw, I have two cruises to look forward to next January. I'm going on an 8 day cruise with my husband. After that cruise he will head home and I will get back on the ship for a five day cruise with my sister-in-law. We didn't get to cruise in 2017 so I am really going to love that trip!

Best wishes to all of you dealing with E.D. or other weight issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another update:

Since May, my total weight loss is 12 pounds. I started the LCHF/keto diet last Monday. In one week I lost five pounds! I know people will say I've just lost water weight but it's still pretty wonderful to me. I kept faithfully to the limit of 20 carbs per day. I feel great and also feel like my B.E.D. Is cured. I know that's probably not true but it's true for now. I also realize that it's only been one week. This diet is forever. My goal is to lose 50 before my next cruise (end of January). Only 45 more to go!

The only difficult part so far is changing my attitude toward fat. It's hard to go against forty to fifty years of hearing fat is BAD.

My favorite treat so far is half a cup of raspberries and 1/4 cup of heavy cream. So yummy and so filling!

I will try to continue posting every Monday after my weigh-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Update:

I am now down 21 pounds.

I have started using (Bayer brand) ketostix to check my level of ketosis. This has helped keep me on track. Another helpful source is dietdoctor.com. I have chosen not to subscribe to the full site and feel I still get a lot of benefit from the short videos, recipes, and success stories.