Ban on “smart” luggage

Sirgym

I understand that the FAA is considering a ban on ALL “smart” (due to lithium batteries) starting in the beginning of January of 2018. I just purchased a “Bluesmart” carry on that I’m considering returning. Anyone out there have more info?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think this has to do with checked baggage. A smoking battery can easily put out in a carry on. Not possible on a checked bag, and that is the issue.

Unless, of course, that carry on is buried in the overhead compartment and not noticed as soon as it sparks.

If you were arriving at Orlando Airport on 11/10 like we were on the way to the Disney Fantasy the next day, then I think you may have second thoughts about batteries. Someones battery blew up in the security line and shut the airport down. We were rushed out of the airport and eventually let back in to get our rental car. We know people who had their flight cancelled from California and had to pay $2000 out of pocket to fly to Orlando through Boston (yes) just to make it on the ship. So, maybe a ban is coming....

I think this has to do with checked baggage. A smoking battery can easily put out in a carry on. Not possible on a checked bag, and that is the issue.

Not true. Lithium battery fires are very intense and burn very hot and not easily extinguished. And fire on board an aircraft is extremely dangerous, which is why they are concerned about this.

FYI:

This is a very wise move by the FAA. Fires in planes are worse than fires on ships. At least on a ship there is the possibility of surviving in the water, not much you can do as you fall from over 35,000 feet to the ground. You just get smashed.

Actually it has it's own sound system. Can't travel anywhere without polluting the air for everyone, don't you know?

Didn't see the sound system but the GPS tracker and weight scale look interesting. Too bad they are soooooo expensive and might cause my plane to crash. I guess if that happens I won't need the GPS tracker anymore. And at that point my luggage will definitely be underweight. :D

For those 'in the know' (which I definitely AM NOT) is this new luggage line named Away considered 'smart luggage'? I saw on their commercial that you can charge your cell phone ( Heaven FORBID we'd LOSE that ! !Why ALL of mankind would cease IF we couldn't get a 'bar' or worse ! :eek: couldn't 'text' anyone !) also since these batteries are made into the luggage, HOW do your replace them OR are they rechargeable ? Sorry, IF these are stupid questions for any 'techno-nerds here. :(

Mac

At risk of seeming not to be keeping up with technology, why does a suitcase need a battery? Is it trained to follow to heel?

Actually, I did see a story on TV about a suitcase that followed you. Worked through an app on your phone. Might have been on that Saturday morning CBS show w/ Mo Rocca, Invention Nation or something like that.

For those 'in the know' (which I definitely AM NOT) is this new luggage line named Away considered 'smart luggage'? I saw on their commercial that you can charge your cell phone ( Heaven FORBID we'd LOSE that ! !Why ALL of mankind would cease IF we couldn't get a 'bar' or worse ! :eek: couldn't 'text' anyone !) also since these batteries are made into the luggage, HOW do your replace them OR are they rechargeable ? Sorry, IF these are stupid questions for any 'techno-nerds here. :(

Mac

If it has a battery that cannot be removed it is considered "smart luggage".

BTW they are charged just like a phone by plugging a cord into an electrical outlet.

Mac

Referenced article says that "AWAY" line has removable battery.