Can my 18 year old daughter drink alcohol on RC Australia/South Pacific cruises?

Kel000

I am surprising my family with a RC cruise in March 2018, my daughter will have just turned 18. I was told that she may not be able to drink alcohol as RC is an American company? Can someone please confirm or deny? I made sure we would be sailing after she turned 18 for this reason so I'll have to warn her if she can't drink! Thanks :D

Every RC ship I have been on alcohol policy is 21 years old to drink.

This is not defined by the ship; it's defined by where the ship is. A cruise departing NZ or AU and not going to a country like the US has a minimum drinking age of 18. A momentary Google will help to confirm this.

Effective immediatly on all sailings, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International is as follows.

• The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21).
  • The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).
  • The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated.

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age of alcohol consumption on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/legal-drinking-age-onboard-policy

My will be 19 year old travelling from Hawaii to Sydney in 2018 is not permitted to drink alcohol because the cruise originates in the USA. [emoji20] Not that she drinks much anyway. It’s just the principle that she can legally drink at 18 now in Australia. Our TA said when I booked the cruise that she would have to wait till we crossed the international date line to legally drink alcohol. Of course this is not true and I knew it at the time. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP---the above info saying 18 and up except for cruises leaving out of North America is correct. We've taken several cruise in Europe with kids over 18 but under 21 and the drinking age has always been 18 on these cruises.

My will be 19 year old travelling from Hawaii to Sydney in 2018 is not permitted to drink alcohol because the cruise originates in the USA. [emoji20] Not that she drinks much anyway. It’s just the principle that she can legally drink at 18 now in Australia. Our TA said when I booked the cruise that she would have to wait till we crossed the international date line to legally drink alcohol. Of course this is not true and I knew it at the time. [emoji35]

Stinks, doesn't it? We have the same issue in May with our 19 year old. he doesn't drink much either, but likes a beer in the evening or with dinner and it irks him to be treated like a child by the line---but, alas, we leave from Puerto Rico heading towards Europe so the 21 rules applies. He'll deal with it and have a great cruise anyway, but it is sure an annoying policy for adults used to living where the laws around alcohol treat them as the adults they are.

bummer pity you didn't book the cruise going the other way ;)

Every RC ship I have been on alcohol policy is 21 years old to drink.

Well we now know you only sailed in the USA. RCCL drinking policy is based on the closed loop cruise you are on. If it is closed loop from anywhere outside of North America, the drinking age is 18 unless the closed loop port is above 18, which is currently unlikely.

My take on this is if you, as a legal parent, want your 18 year old to have a beer or other drink, then buy it for them. I'm in law enforcement and as long as a parent is with their child it's not an issue. We're talking responsible drinking of course. It's legal in Texas where I'm from. It's probably the same in numerous other states. I'm sure ships have different views but really, who's going to say anything about an 18 year old and up.

My take on this is if you, as a legal parent, want your 18 year old to have a beer or other drink, then buy it for them. I'm in law enforcement and as long as a parent is with their child it's not an issue. We're talking responsible drinking of course. It's legal in Texas where I'm from. It's probably the same in numerous other states. I'm sure ships have different views but really, who's going to say anything about an 18 year old and up.

That's pretty much what I plan to do. We tend to order a round of drinks at once at trivia or whatnot; I am usualy having a Coke. So if there is a cocktail and a coke and a beer in the order, is aynone going to notice or care which of us drinks what when it comes? Highly unlikely.

But it bugs my son that he has to "break" rules to do it. He's not the rule breaking type.

We have, after all, had waistaff offer wine to the kids in Chops many times before they were even 18---and been told that at a family dinner when sailing Europe they offer and let parents decide and do not care about ages.

Just trying to give you a heads up, not trying to turn thread into a parenting/rule breaking thread. If waiter/bartender does notice - and they are all different - you would be in serious trouble. I think after several lawsuits/insurance problems, RC has a definite zero tolerance for underage drinking. They do monitor drinks - in part I think because of sharing of drink packages and underage drinking.

Again, information only as a warning; not being judgmental.

Here's Royals policy on the purchase of alcohol for those under 21 sailing from a US port. If it were me I would not take the chance.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-alcohol-guest-policy

Here's Royals policy on the purchase of alcohol for those under 21 sailing from a US port. If it were me I would not take the chance.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-alcohol-guest-policy

Would you report someone who was underage and having a drink? At 18?

Here is Royals policy for the Rest of the World

For sailings departing from a port in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, South America and Asia, the minimum age will be reduced to 18. Guests aged 18 and over will not need to be sailing with their parent or legal guardian and there will be no requirement for a waiver to be signed. All guests will be expected to comply with our Company

Guest Conduct Policy

, which can be found at the Guest Relations desk once you board. Guests aged 18 and over will be able to purchase beverage packages.

She can have a few when she gets here though! :D

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Would you report someone who was underage and having a drink? At 18?

4000 passengers and over 1000 crew onboard.

Are you willing to take the chance that ONE of them might notice and say something? And then you are put off the cruise?

Up to you. The person who posted that was just saying, here is the policy, violate at your own risk, but KNOW what you are doing.

4000 passengers and over 1000 crew onboard.

Are you willing to take the chance that ONE of them might notice and say something? And then you are put off the cruise?

Up to you. The person who posted that was just saying, here is the policy, violate at your own risk, but KNOW what you are doing.

Thank you for answering for the poster. Like someone else said, we, my daughter and I are not rule breakers but neither are we judgemental or busy bodies trying to police others.