3 days st Petersburg, Moscow day 2 is it worth the travel

cosytoes

we have 3 days in st Petersburg and notice some companies offer Moscow on day 2. I understand Its a very early start and 3 hour train ride.

Does anyone have experience of this and is it worth the long train ride and money?

Thanks

we have 3 days in st Petersburg and notice some companies offer Moscow on day 2. I understand Its a very early start and 3 hour train ride.

Does anyone have experience of this and is it worth the long train ride and money?

Thanks

It depends on what you consider "worth" the long train ride and money. Personally, having been to both St. Petersburg and Moscow multiple times, I would not consider the trip on a 3 day stopover via cruise. Others will disagree as they wish to visit Moscow regardless of the time spent on the train and the hectic highlights tour of the city.

Yes, you leave VERY early in the morning for Moscow and you return VERY late in the evening (just a little before midnight). Also, the train takes over 3 hours to reach Moscow - more like 3 hours and 45 minutes if memory correctly serves. Added to this is the fact that your time in Moscow is very limited (you will get just a brief taste of what is on offer at the Kremlin & Red Square) and then you will need to start rather early on day 3 to finish your tour of St. Petersburg.

There is so much to see in St. Petersburg that 3 days barely scratch the surface. Of the 2 cities, I find St. Petersburg much more appealing because of it's gorgeous architecture, beautiful Russian Baroque palaces and canals.

IMHO, Moscow deserves at least a couple of days. On the Moscow tour, there is no time to visit the Diamond Fund, the interior of St. Basil's cathedral, shop/eat in the amazing Gums, visit Lenin's mausoleum, Tretyakov Gallery, Bolshoi Theater and so many other things. You do visit the armory & the churches inside the Kremlin though and the armory is amazing.

If, however, you are only looking for a brief introduction to Moscow and don't mind the long day and 7+ hours spent on the train, it may be an option for you.

Agree with almost everything dogs4fun said. There is another thread below with a similar question that had more answers. I wouldn't reccomend it unless you have been to St. Pete previously or know that you will never be in Russia again.

The train ride is mostly uninteresting and moving around Moscow can be difficult if you are there on a weekday as traffic is horrible.