Thomson 2.5% charge on credit or debit cards

No charge for debit cards when booking or paying on board but there is a charge for paying for your cruise with a credit card. We have never been charged a fee on our credit card on board, up till now that is.:)

Jan

We were on Destiny last week and there was a 2.5% charge for using your credit card on board! This was a surprise to us so we used our debit card with no charge. Luckily we were All Inclusive so the bill wasnt a big one.

We were on Destiny last week and there was a 2.5% charge for using your credit card on board! This was a surprise to us so we used our debit card with no charge. Luckily we were All Inclusive so the bill wasnt a big one.

No charge for on board cc payment in Feb.

Wonder if the difference is due to Louis Line managing the Destiny whilst Thomson manage the Dream? Or have they all adopted the charging policy now since blossom was on in Feb? I'm going to ask before I register my card - and use a Debit Card if they're charging for CC's.

.I'm going to ask before I register my card - and use a Debit Card if they're charging for CC's.

Me too! I wish they'd be consistent. Are you going this Sunday Kruzseeka?

Jan

Me too! I wish they'd be consistent. Are you going this Sunday Kruzseeka?

Jan

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D Getting excited now!

Have emailed Thomson re credit cards and they have replied with a categorical 'yes' - 2.5% charge!

Cheek! grab, grab, grab. Don't they know there's a recession on. Debit card for us then. Or maybe cash. Hmm!

I can't wait either. I've bought a couple of lacy, sparkly shrugs from ebay to go with my plain dresses for next to nothing. Well pleased I am. We booked Bernard's Tours for St Maarten and got a confirmation email this morning, pay on the day. Very good.:):)

Jan

Please be careful with debit cards. I registered my debit card for Xmas and NY cruise on Destiny and thought all was well until Thomson tried to withdraw the money. My bank had stopped the transaction due to the unusual pattern in a foreign country, I can't really complain at this as they were only protecting me from the risk of fraud. As I had my credit card I paid with that and was not charged extra. For future holidays I will inform the bank before I go that I intend to pay the cruise company with a debit card.

When we book a holiday through Thompson we pay the minimum deposit by credit card (must be £100 min) and accept the 2.5% charge as this then insures the holiday via the card company, even though we pay the balance by debit card.

We were on the Destiny in January and were not charged for using my CC on board. If they are starting to charge people for using CC it would be nice of them to inform us when you register at check-in. Shall have to pay attention when i'm on the Dream in May.

We always tell the bank and cc companies when we are going abroad as we know some people have had their cards blocked. Barclaycard used to have a section where you could register where you are going but have said this is not necessary now.

As for Thomson, they offer you the chance to book the airport lounge at around £35 for 2 for 3 hours. Plus £1.50 if paying by cc. We thought this was a bit much so booked direct with Manchester Airport and they only charged 88p for the same thing so Thomson are adding a little bit on for themselves. We paid by debit card with no extra charge.:):)

Jan

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Getting excited now!

I can't wait either. :)

Jan

Hope you both have a great time BonVoyage_Logo-1.jpg

I'm off to the Destiny (for possible last time, who really knows ) catch you when you get back :D

Its Party Time ! :)

holidays-1.jpgKalos

Sorry can't compete with the fantastic graphics - but heartfelt warm wishes to you for a great cruise too. Yes, will definitely compare notes on our return. ;)

Bon voyage! :D

P.S. Am expecting Agent K to come back with all the inside info!!!! :eek:

Thanks for that Kalos but I've got another long 3 weeks and 3 days to wait. Boo!

Wishing both you and Kruzseeka a fantastic holiday (seperately of course) if I don't catch you before you go. I was on Trip Advisor earlier looking at the things to do in the islands we are visiting and most of the suggestions have photos. Lovely! AND warm unlike here today, lol.:):)

Jan

Just got back from Thomson Celebration. I was assured that there would be no charge for using Credit card because if there had been I would have used debit card. Will have to wait for credit card statement to confirm but there is no mention on Thomson's bill about any charge.

Have a fab time all who are going this week.

Kruzseeker don't forget all your paperwork!!!!

It's already packed! ;)

Just got back from Thomson Celebration. I was assured that there would be no charge for using Credit card because if there had been I would have used debit card. Will have to wait for credit card statement to confirm but there is no mention on Thomson's bill about any charge.

Another example of confusing, contradictory information given the email I received today! When will they get everyone singing from the same hymn sheet! :confused:

And thanks for the good wishes all. :)

It's already packed! ;)

Another example of confusing, contradictory information given the email I received today! When will they get everyone singing from the same hymn sheet! :confused:

And thanks for the good wishes all. :)

The confusion is added to because IIRC, on the Thomson site it says they 'may' impose a charge, not that they will. Perhaps it is down to the individual ships purser :eek:

The confusion is added to because IIRC, on the Thomson site it says they 'may' impose a charge, not that they will. Perhaps it is down to the individual ships purser :eek:

I think the 'may' has been changed to 'will' dave. Although in the past we have never been charged despite the 'may' I noticed the change to 'will' this season and thought I'd query it with Thomson. They confirmed by email that CC would incur a 2.5% surcharge. However, from the evidence of fellow posters it seems that this is not necessarily the case - and not consistent! :confused:

Our e-ticket it definitely says 'will' but then again it says the hand luggage allowance is 5Kg - which it's not (it's 7Kg)! Typical!!!!! :rolleyes:

Have a good trip dave - and report back on the opposition - will be interested to hear the comparisons.

Ooh! Not long to go now Kruzseeka. I will wait with bated breath for you to come back and tell us the position on credit cards first hand.:):) So confusing!

Jan

Archived