Just off Liberty - unruly children a real problem!

Hi - we just got off the Liberty yesterday. I'm not doing an indepth review, so feel free to ask questions if you have any and I will be happy to answer if I know. I just wanted to relay a couple of things:

1) We scattered our mother's ashes on the first sea day. We were taken down to deck 1 at the aft of the ship. The environmental officer met us in the lobby next to guest services and his assistant along with two other crew members accompanied us down. They checked the wind and showed us where we could release the urn, then stepped away to give us the privacy to do so. Afterward, my father received a letter delivered to his room with the coordinates, though there was no identifying information on the letter with the exception of it being addressed to my brother, instead of my father. :eek: Oh well, they tried...

2) Children were a real problem on this cruise. Not the number of children, after all it is summer vacation so we expected many, many kids. No, the problem was that so many of them were left to their own devices to run amok on the ship. More than one plowed into us as they ran around apparently unsupervised, and one almost knocked over my 76 year old, grieving, father. I personally saw crew members (one was a photographer) attempt to stop the kids from running, but they kept right on going, simply ignoring the crew. I'm sure none of your children would ever behave thusly, but I'm here to tell you, someone's children are. :mad: People, please police your kids - or the rest of us will have to start. Ask my kids, you don't want to see me mad!!

First, condolences on the passing of your mother. Glad to see Carnival was helpful in setting this up. As for the child issue - it stinks, but unless parents step up to police their own kids, probably won't change. Maybe the crew should "capture" the runners/misbehavors, bring them to guest services and page their parents. When the parents show up, issue them a warning. Second warning = confinement to cabin/curfew. Third warning= removal of family from ship. Maybe this would work, and strike fear into parent's hearts! :p:D (and yes, I have kids - my kids have been cruising with us on every cruise since they have been 4 and 7 - they are now 21 and 24!)

First, condolences on the passing of your mother. Glad to see Carnival was helpful in setting this up. As for the child issue - it stinks, but unless parents step up to police their own kids, probably won't change. Maybe the crew should "capture" the runners/misbehavors, bring them to guest services and page their parents. When the parents show up, issue them a warning. Second warning = confinement to cabin/curfew. Third warning= removal of family from ship. Maybe this would work, and strike fear into parent's hearts! :p:D (and yes, I have kids - my kids have been cruising with us on every cruise since they have been 4 and 7 - they are now 21 and 24!)

Thank you. I agree - I also have kids - now 19 and 22. They have cruised with me since they were 6 and 9. They know personally what it is like to get mom mad!! :o :D I'm not saying they were perfect on cruises when they were younger, but I do believe they were much better than many of the kids on the Liberty! I like your solution!! Many times, I think, parents believe the best of their kids and don't realize the trouble they are causing - giving them warnings gives the parents a chance and lets the kids know that there will be consequences if they continue to misbehave.

Sorry to hear of your family's loss....

as for the kids, this is why we do not cruise when school is out.

I have raised my 2 boys (now 24 and 21) and I am not about to spend my vacation babysitting someone else's.

Perhaps some of the ship photographers who are not busy at the time could snap some photos of the misbehaving kids and have a wall of shame at the photo gallery!

I'm so sorry for your loss...glad that Carnival was able to help you with the service.

With regard to the kids, that is why we only cruise when school is in session. However, we still get our share of kids. I have no issue with playing the bad guy with unruly kids...you disrupt my hard-earned vacation and you are playing with fire. However, it would be nice if Carnival helped out a little more. It just seems that they do not like to enforce rules, period. I thoroughly agree with the above posters' solutions. Nothing like a little embarassment to the parents and children to light a fire under the parents. But it really is a shame...:(

Perhaps some of the ship photographers who are not busy at the time could snap some photos of the misbehaving kids and have a wall of shame at the photo gallery!

That is a great idea, with a station for passengers to post photos they took of rude kids to be played on the big screen. Maybe match up the bad kids picture with the rest of their family or group they came on board with. That would help stop the run-a-muck kid problem.

So sorry about your Mom.

As far as the unruly children, I agree with you in that parents always seem to think that it's never their kids that are causing the problem. :rolleyes:

Carnival is not good about enforcing rules....they act like they don't want to "upset" anyone. However, their lack of response to the troublemakers offends plenty of other people :mad:.

I usually choose to vacation when schools are in session, as opposed to during breaks, because there are less kids on board.

How is it that parents don't know what their kids are doing?? I'm sure if you were to take one of those kids to guest services or wherever you need to "turn them in", you'd be charged with assault, kidnapping, or heaven knows what. I think I would grab the kid first and then think about it later....probably get into some trouble for that??

Carnival has a lot of limitations on things that you can't take on the trip but where does it say anything about cattle prods. That'll make those brats behave.

My condolences regarding your mom. I think that is a great way to say good-bye to your mom.

As for the kid problem.....unfortunately until there are some consequences to the parents or the kids themselves, the negligent parents will do nothing. I have been known to use my "mom" voice and get kids to stop the bad behavior. My kids are now grown, but they knew to behave or else. :eek:

I love the idea of taking pictures....as for the other idea of taking them to guest services.....I don't think they have enough room. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean about the kids...not just on a cruise, but having younger kids, I see it at their school too...you can have a class of 20 kids...15 or 16 act fine (and by this I mean when the teacher gives them a warning, they settle down) but then those 4 or 5 kids who think they don't have to listen to anyone of authority just ruin it for the whole class!

I just can't imagine letting my kids out of my sight in a public place...I know a ship is a bit more contained, but still. My kids are either at the camp or they are with an adult from our party. No exceptions.

I'm sorry that part was bad about the cruise...it would have irritated me too.

During the summer months Carnival could consider an advisory at muster or on the jumbo tv or even an additional handout reminding parents to supervise their children. For some it would make no difference of course.

Maybe they should convert an area to a timeout room from which parents would have to retrieve their little darlings.

So sorry about your mother, but what a wonderful idea for honoring her. I had no idea Carnival could help one with this -- now I know what I am going to tell my kids and DH I want done with my ashes.

Re: unruly kids

I try to schedule our cruises when school is in session to avoid some of the melee. I love well-mannered, considerate kids, but I have a hard time understanding how parents can be so oblivious and indulgent of their kids' misbehavior -- it's bad in restaurants, too!

sorry about your mother, but kids running? i think that's what kids do. i did it, and my kids still do it.

i too wish i could still do it, but gravity got in the way.

There is a time and place for everything - running included. However, running up and down the promenade of a crowded cruise ship, running up and down the stairs of the lounges or dining rooms of a crowded cruise ship, or running around the decks of a crowded cruise ship is simply not appropriate. If your kids do that, shame on you!!

During the summer months Carnival could consider an advisory at muster or on the jumbo tv or even an additional handout reminding parents to supervise their children. For some it would make no difference of course.

Maybe they should convert an area to a timeout room from which parents would have to retrieve their little darlings.

OP, first, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my dear daddy in January and it is very hard.

Holders, I think they should put the parents in time out with the kids.

There is a time and place for everything - running included. However, running up and down the promenade of a crowded cruise ship, running up and down the stairs of the lounges or dining rooms of a crowded cruise ship, or running around the decks of a crowded cruise ship is simply not appropriate. If your kids do that, shame on you!!

only problem is, op didn't specify that.

my kids like running around in an elevator making a whirlpool of wind.

only problem is, op didn't specify that.

my kids like running around in an elevator making a whirlpool of wind.

I was the op, and the person whose post you were quoting, so I'm not sure what your point is...????

However, I'll bet any children running around in an elevator with me in it will be sorry they did!! Perhaps you are just attempting to "stir the post" instead of the pot?? :rolleyes:

Archived