Canapés served Prior to Dinner in The Commodore Club

Q&A with Angus Struthers - VP Marketing, Cunard - READ ONLY

Angus Struthers, VP Marketing - Cunard

Angus Struthers was here to answer your questions on 10 May 2018.

Forum is now READ ONLY
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is Off
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:01 PM.
Riding the Oceans Waves
1,401 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Hot Canapés appear to have disappeared from The Commodore Clubs across the fleet. On QM2 these have been replaced with Pork Scratchings and a few nuts. For me personally this has put me off visiting the venue prior to dinner, instead opting for the Chart Room instead. Although not needed hot Canapés make a very nice touch and a visit to The Commodore Club prior to dinner a must. I am sure the withdrawal of hot Canapés has made other frequent quests less likely to visit as well, possibly reducing the Bar revenue. Are there plans to get these re instated ?
berkshire
1,334 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Well, Hot Canapes were certainly available ( and offered ! to all guest's) on the Q. Vic ! ( Commodore Bar) the evening of 26th March ........Mr Sruthers and I ( including another invited guest) certainly enjoyed tucking into them ..... Never saw any pork scratchings during the whole of the short cruise.
Washington State
1,988 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Hot canapés are available at the Commodore Club on QE at the moment :)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
www.whereissafarigal.wordpress.com
www.youtube.com/user/samuels5731

"Flying is but a fad. There will always be passengers for ships like the Queens"

Queen Mary 2 Eastbound 2018; Queen Mary 2 Fjords 2018; Queen Elizabeth 2018; Queen Victoria 2017; Queen Mary 2 July 2016; Queen Mary 2 2015; Viking Sun July 2014; Queen Mary 2 October 2012; Veendam September 2012; Queen Elizabeth June 2012 X 2; Queen Victoria 2012; Queen Elizabeth 2011; Queen Mary 2 2010; Queen Mary 2 2009; QE2 2008; Queen Victoria 2008; Carnival Glory 2006; Paul Gauguin 2006; Sun Princess 2003; Sea Princess 2002; Rotterdam 2001; Majesty of the Seas 2000; Rotterdam 1999; Independence 1998; Dreamward 1997; Nordic Empress 1996; Atlantic 1995; Dawn Princess 1994; Majestic 1989; Vistafjord 1992; Maasdam 1992; Cunard Countess 1985; BI Dunera 1968; BI Devonia 1967; BI Kampala 1963; Hoogkerk 1963; Queen Elizabeth 1962; P&O Iberia 1962; P&O Cathay 1962; BI Uganda 1961; Rotterdam 1961; City of Durban 1959; Europa 1959; Africa 1958; Dunottar Castle 1958; Warwick Castle 1958; BI Karanja 1957; Pretoria Castle 1956; BI Uganda 1956
Riding the Oceans Waves
1,401 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
[QUOTE=Bell Boy;56034819]Well, Hot Canapes were certainly available ( and offered ! to all guest's) on the Q. Vic ! ( Commodore Bar) the evening of 26th March ........Mr Sruthers and I ( including another invited guest) certainly enjoyed tucking into them ..... Never saw any pork scratchings during the whole of the short cruise.[/QUOTE]

Cheers Bellboy, obviously misinformed about the Vista Class ships, However they had been removed from QM2 perhaps they have now been reinstated since November last Year and January this year on QM2. They were stopped as the bar staff were not happy about the lack of footfall due to the decision of withdrawing them to be replaced with Pork Scratchings and olives and pop corn.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2580330&highlight=Pork+Scratchings&page=3

1 Posts
Joined May 2018
Hi everyone,
As you’ve rightly noted, I’m pleased to confirm that there are hot Canapés available in the Commodore club, across the fleet. I’ll be sure to let the on board team know how much you enjoy them.
Thanks
Angus
Charleston, Charleston Made in Carolina
1,871 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
I'm onboard the QM2 now. Last Thursday when we sailed from Southampton hot canapes were not served in the Commodore Club; it was a spicy peanut mix along with olives that were served. Perhaps the memo just went out of Southampton on Friday to resume the canapes! Nevertheless I'll have to pop up there tomorrow rather than the Chart Room, where spicy nuts and potato crisps still reign, to see if the memo did indeed come through!.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"When we presently got under way and went poking down the broad Ohio, I became a new being and the subject of my own admiration. I was a traveler!"
Mark Twain
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
7,526 Posts
Joined May 2000
[QUOTE=Calliope;56066959]I'm onboard the QM2 now. Last Thursday when we sailed from Southampton hot canapes were not served in the Commodore Club; it was a spicy peanut mix along with olives that were served. Perhaps the memo just went out of Southampton on Friday to resume the canapes! Nevertheless I'll have to pop up there tomorrow rather than the Chart Room, where spicy nuts and potato crisps still reign, to see if the memo did indeed come through!.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully it was just a first night omission, and obviously you are not frequenting the Commodore Club nearly enough!
Vale of Glamorgan
4,517 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
You do have to be there at the right time, we only got them once on our last trip but that was our fault.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Charleston, Charleston Made in Carolina
1,871 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
[QUOTE=eroller;56069412]Hopefully it was just a first night omission, and obviously you are not frequenting the Commodore Club nearly enough![/QUOTE]

Well, no doubt about that, Ernie, but last evening and this evening we were in the Commodore Club from 7:00 PM until 8:30 PM and there were no warm canapes to be had. Not even for ready money! In fact, this evening there were not even cold canapes that were served. Olives and almonds were the only offerings to be had this evening. It appears to me as if Mr. Struthers should get a better grasp of what is happening on the company's flagship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"When we presently got under way and went poking down the broad Ohio, I became a new being and the subject of my own admiration. I was a traveler!"
Mark Twain
Isle of wight
1,322 Posts
Joined May 2010
[QUOTE=Calliope;56090609]Well, no doubt about that, Ernie, but last evening and this evening we were in the Commodore Club from 7:00 PM until 8:30 PM and there were no warm canapes to be had. Not even for ready money! In fact, this evening there were not even cold canapes that were served. Olives and almonds were the only offerings to be had this evening. It appears to me as if Mr. Struthers should get a better grasp of what is happening on the company's flagship.[/QUOTE]

We were on the Christmas New Year voyage on QM2.
27 nights and no warm canapes were served. At first, no canapes what so ever. Almonds olives and pork scratching were on offer and one night even popcorn!
It was very tacky as people were expecting better over Christmas and were well dressed up to the nines in anticipation. Only to receive pork scratching!
Even ships architect Stephan Payne, commented it was very mean. Even if they removed them, they should serve them on a formal night. Soon to be Gala night. So maybe pork scratching will be the norm on gala night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ships,Shoes & Maggiemou