Lost Property

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:47 AM.
Wales
46 Posts
Joined May 2013
Hi

Unfortunately on a cruise on board Oriana 2 weeks ago I left a pair of dance shoes in our cabin.

I have reported this to P&O via their website but have heard nothing as yet.

My question is has anyone else left items on board a ship,reported it and been fortunate enough to be reunited with their lost items?
Nottinghamshire, England
1,626 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
My husband lost a watch on Britannia, we contacted P&O but had to wait until the ship returned from the following cruise when any lost property is handed into Southampton. We did not get the watch back and assume it was stolen by someone as he new exactly where he had lost it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Coming Up
January 2018 - Queen Victoria- Hamburg and back
January 2017 - Queen Elizabeth - Hamburg and Back
October 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Australia and New Zealand

Previous cruises
Oceana July 2016 Med
Ventura weekender February 2016
Britannia Transaltlantic October 2015
Celebrity Infinity June 2015 Alaska
Azura February 2014 Caribbean
Celebrity Century February 2013 Hawaii
Arcadia August 2012 Baltic
Celebrity Eclipse Sept/Oct 2011 Med
Azura Oct/Nov 2010 Transatlantic
Ventura fjords June 2009
Celebrity Solstice Oct/Nov 2009 Eastern Med
Ventura Oct/Nov 2008 Transatlanti
Independence of the Seas Aug 2008 Weekender
Ocean Village Two Oct 2007 Western Med
Carnival Destiny May 2007 Southern Caribbean
Ocean Village Oct 2006 Western Med
Solihull
2,257 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
I'm afraid to say I had a similar story on a short cruise on Ventura. Whilst I am 99% sure it was stolen from the cabin at the start of a short cruise, I did go through the rather laborious and uncommunicative P&O process, but it didn't turn up. I think we failed to lock our safe prior to muster (yes I know it was stupid) I think it was taken then as it contained cash, was small and easy to dispose of. It was a lesson learned though, we always make sure all valuables are locked up now and leave no room for foolish trust or complacency P&O tend to go quiet when they are retrieving items, apparently they get huge amounts of lost property, I would be quite hopeful of getting shoes back - don't be afraid to make a nuisance of yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Kent, England
6,423 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
I left my prescription reading glasses in my cabin and filled in all the required forms etc. Nothing happened
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 4
P&O Azura x 1
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 10
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
TUI Discovery x 2
NCL Epic

To come
Marella Discovery 2018
Marella Explorer 2018
Marella Dream 2019
Marella Explorer 2019
Essex
28 Posts
Joined May 2010
You can find some information about lost property on the Advice Centre on the P & O website. It says they will only contact you if they have traced your lost item within 21 days. I guess they will not contact you at all if it's not found.
You like to think everyone is trustworthy and honest but sadly there can be unscrupulous people everywhere.
12 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
I was on a Thomson cruise March, 2017, Thomson Dream, Jamaica, Cuba, Mexico, Belize etc.
On the day of disembarkation in Jamaica I found a camera case in an empty lounge, fully equipped with camera and multiple accessories, no name inside.
Also the case contained £130 in Sterling!
I took the camera case to Reception where the contents were checked and I had to sign papers and witness the checking procedure by the Officer in Reception.
From my understanding at Reception this item had already been reported lost by a passenger.
I have never been informed by Thomson that the item was successfully recovered by it's owner.
Likewise, the owner has never contacted me, it wouldn't have been difficult as I had to give all my details at Reception and sign forms as the finder.
A simple " thank you " would have been nice, I certainly would have ensured that this was done if I had been the person who had retrieved my valuable lost property!
Lancashire... UK
1,052 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
My brother who needs to wear medical prescription sunglasses most of the time....he has had a very serious medical condition of the eye and cannot take sunlight on his eyes....took his glasses into the MDR on the 2nd evening of cruise. Unfortunately he left them on the table ad didn't realise he had left them until the following morning. He contacted MDR who recommended he contacted reception. No medical glasses there. He left a full description and every morning went to reception to enquire about them. This went on for several days and in the meantime was confined to being inside all of the time....couldn't even use his balcony.
Then one morning when he went to reception there they were...just on the ledge underneath and was told that is were they had been all of the time....the receptionist told him that she had seen them there all week and was wondering whose they were. Needless to say he was not best pleased as he had missed out on so much of his cruise. Doesn't really inspire confidence in them does it when they can't even see what is practically under their noses so I wouldn't hold out much hope of being reunited with your dance shoes.
cheshire
153 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
We found a watch and hat had been left by the gentleman in the next lounger to us. We took the items to reception. Next day the man asked us if we found anything , we said we had taken to reception, he says he had already asked there but they said nothing had been handed in. After speaking with us he returned to reception and ecplainec we had handed them in and low and behold reception found them !
12 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
When I returned the camera case to Reception that I had found I was informed that someone had already reported it to them as " lost ".
The Chief Purser even made a joke about it and asked where I had found it as other reports that day of lost property had been lodged.
The " found property " report was very intensive, I was informed that I was witnessing the contents on behalf of the receiving Officer making out the report.
I had to sign the report, give all my personal details and cabin number and verify the contents as found.
My understanding was that they had advised the owner to check back with Reception before disembarking the ship for the flight home from Jamaica.
This was disembarkation day for that cruise and there were numerous flights throughout the day.
In hindsight I did wonder why they simply didn't tannoy the passengers name and request they return to Reception, after all they had his / her lost property report, Thomson constantly tannoy for EVERYTHING else!
I doubt if I'll ever know if the owner was ever reunited with his / her camera and money,
Anyway, just wanted to show the other side of the coin
when it comes to reviews re: " lost property "
Scotland
2,638 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
This is true please believe me.
First night at dinner 2nd sitting I dropped my napkin on the floor when I bent down to pick it up I was shocked whilst picking up the napkin I had also picked up a ladies denture tooth plate which contained three false teeth.

I immediately requested to speak to the maitre'de, discretely, I explained what had just occurred and passed over the dentures still wrapped inside the napkin for him to deal with. Obviously I thought that it was a female guest at first dinner sitting who had either removed them thinking that she had placed them in her bag for safe keeping but unfortunately dropped them on the floor.

The following evening I asked the maitre'de if there was any update on the dentures.Yes was the reply the person in question who had misplaced them had reported the denture missing and was able to reclaim them from lost property at main reception. 😬
So don't give up on the missing shoes just yet stranger items have been handed in.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAPPY CRUSING

Previous Cruises

1994-95-96 Cunard Countess Caribbean
1997 Thomson Emerald Caribbean
1998 Thomson Med
1999 Royal Caribbean Caribbean
2000 Princess Grand Princess Caribbean

2001 Costa Victoria Caribean
2002 F000 Adonia West Med
2003 R312 Aurora Med 2003 E000Caribbean
2004 E404 Oceana Caribbean
2005 F503 Adonia Panama Canal
2006 E604 Oceana Canary Islands
2006J611Arcadia Central Med 2006 J622 Arcadia Canary 2007 E704 Oceana Caribbean
2007 X707 Oriana Med 2007 E726 Oceana Canary Ils 2008 A000Costa Costa Victoria UAE 2008 2008 X801 Oriana Australia 2008 J818 Arcadia West Med 2008 N128 Ventura Carib 2009 A000 Costa UAE 2010 A000Sun Pincess Australia 2009 A000CunardQueen Victoria Central Med 2009 J908 Arcadia Canaries 2009 A000 Sea Princess Car. 2010 R004 Aurora Central Med 2011 E107 Oceana Canaries 2011 R107 Aurora West Med 2011 N128 Ventura Car 2012 A205A Azura Caribbean 2012 N227A Ventura Caribbean 2013 [color=black][size=1]
[color="Black"]N327 Ventura Transatlantic 2013
N328 Ventura Caribbean 2013
N405 Ventura Caribbean
Azura A428Oct 2014 A428 Transatlantic
Azura A429 Nov2014 A428A Caribbean
Britannia B524A 2015 Transatlantic Caribbean
Britannia B525 2015 Caribbean
Azura A605A 2016 Caribbean

Adonia D715P August 2017 Med

FUTURE CRUISE

Azura A734A December 2017 Caribbean

TUI Discovery 2 April 2018 TA/Caribbean
Oriana X801P 30th Jan 2018 Madeira/Canaries

There are big ships and small ships but the best ships are friendships

We are all travellers in the wilderness of this world,and the bestwe can find in our travels is an honest friend
England
1,278 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
The only thing we've had stolen was a pair of binoculars on our very first cruise. They were stolen from our luggage at some point between the ship and the airport. Not a major problem, other than when we arrived at the airport (Istanbul), armed Police came on the coach and asked for my wife and I by name. No explanation and we had no idea why. We were taken in to the airport where one of our bags, which had clearly been opened, had been examined. We were asked to check if anything was missing, to which we replied that a pair of binoculars had been taken. After some discussion (none of it in English) we were allowed to proceed. We were much younger then and found it mildly amusing afterwards (though not initially). If it happened nowadays it would be terrifying, with potential terrorism or drug trafficking implications had the bag been tampered with. Not just for this reason, but we haven't done a fly-cruise since!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 155 nights over 14 cruises (Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 62 nights over 4 cruises (2018 - Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
Surrey
453 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
I left some documents on top of the safe after leaving the ship in Barbados last December
Our cabin steward handed them to the reception. I contacted my PCS and she took care of it. The documents (although I must admit not all - just the important ones) they were posted back once the ship got back to Southampton 👍

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1,421 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Over the years we have found several items left in the cabin by the previous occupants. None were particularly valuable, so we just handed them to the steward. Just wondering if, as they missed them whilst during the changeover cleaning, that they 'lose' them to avoid getting in trouble for not finding them when they were preparing the cabin.
London
1 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
I can concur with these awful lost property stories. My mother (84)left her brand new wrist blood pressure monitor and sugar testing kit on the Discovery 2 Cuban Fusion cruise on 13 March 2018. I know they were found by the cleaning team (who we had given a substantial thank you tip) as they were entering the room at 8.00am as we were leaving. Despite phone calls to the agent in Montego Bay Port, the emergency number on the ship, feedback forms, the agents at the Tui shop and the customer service line - not one person has come back to me It is outrageous!!!
Lancashire, UK
565 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
If you look at the following P&O web page you'll soon see that your shoes won't be coming back I'm afraid.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/po/re...e/contact_lost
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
David

Gone:
Black Watch 2006,7&8: NCL 2007: Sea Princess May 2008: Aurora Oct. 2008, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010; Eclipse Oct. 2010; Oriana Feb. 2011; Arcadia Dec. 2011; Oceana Mar. 2012; Aurora June 2012. Oriana Feb. 2013 & Jan. 2014; Azamara Quest Mar. 2014; Oriana Apr. 2015; Azamara Journey Nov. 2015; Grand Princess May 2016; Ventura Jan 2017, Aurora Aug & Sept. 2017, Aurora Jan-Mar 2018