BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:41 PM.
78 Posts
Joined May 2017
Trying to avoid bringing super dressy clothes in lieu of warmth (AZ peeps, so lots of warmth needed!!)
So on formal nights we plan to go to alternative speciality restaurants.
Days
1 embark
2 sea day (formal is my guess)
3,4,5 port day
6,7 glacier viewing

What would 2nd formal night be? Please...from someone who has been on this itinerary, not a guesser.. want to make reservations in advance.
Thanks! 26 days......
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,360 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Definitely day 6 but you don't actually need super dressy clothing to eat in the DR on formal nights.
But that's your choice.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
78 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by floridalover5623
Definitely day 6 but you don't actually need super dressy clothing to eat in the DR on formal nights.
But that's your choice.
Yes, and heard Alaska is even more relaxed. But the hubs either dresses in a suit and tie or jeans. Doesn't want to pack dress shoes just for 2 nights of dinner. For women its small real estate in a suitcase. But a full suit.....nah

Hiking boots x2
tennis shoes x2
Uggs
All if a sudden the lbs add up haha
28 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
I’m going May 26th on the star to Alaska maybe its just me but I like formal nights so bringing 2 formal gowns. It is going to be Sunday which is a sea day and Thursday for sure. Have fun!!
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,360 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by tt_moore
Yes, and heard Alaska is even more relaxed. But the hubs either dresses in a suit and tie or jeans. Doesn't want to pack dress shoes just for 2 nights of dinner. For women its small real estate in a suitcase. But a full suit.....nah

Hiking boots x2
tennis shoes x2
Uggs
All if a sudden the lbs add up haha
Just improvise a little bit & almost anything can be made to work on a formal night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
New Hampshire
6,086 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Just improvise a little bit & almost anything can be made to work on a formal night.
Well, your version any way!
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,360 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Bemidji Ty
Following published dress guidelines is extreme?
Some folks seem to think that any variation from the suit & tie or gown is a disgrace.
Even following Princess's suggestion for people who don't want to dress up is questioned in their minds.

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. "
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
San Diego County
404 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
I don't recall anyone who took the position that the published Princess dress guidelines are too lax. Enforcement is spotty, to be sure. Perhaps I misunderstand you. If your position is that even following the guidelines is disgraceful in some's eyes, I don't recall anyone taking this position. You might refresh my memory or perhaps someone who finds the dress guidelines too lax could affirm this position.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
807 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Patters have just been posted for the Star. The second formal night was Day 4, Juneau.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Star Princess Alaska 7/21/2018
Norwegian Epic 2013
Carnival Miracle 2008
Carnival Victory 2006
Carnival Festivale 1980 something??
Coastal Georgia
37 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
This is our 13th cruise, but first on Princess. NCL is "dress up or not" this trip is 16 days for us and prefer to pack as light as possible. Coming from Savannah, GA we need layers and practical shoes. Are dress shoes/heels a must or can clean, non-athletic shoes work? I don't want to pack a lot extra for one or two evenings.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Pride of America
NCL Dawn, Sky, Pearl & Sun x2 each
NCL Epic
NCL Jewel
NCL Majesty

Golden Princess (Aug 18)
NCL Bliss (Jan 19)
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,360 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Wpooh1968
This is our 13th cruise, but first on Princess. NCL is "dress up or not" this trip is 16 days for us and prefer to pack as light as possible. Coming from Savannah, GA we need layers and practical shoes. Are dress shoes/heels a must or can clean, non-athletic shoes work? I don't want to pack a lot extra for one or two evenings.
Yes they can.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
New Hampshire
3,032 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Some folks seem to think that any variation from the suit & tie or gown is a disgrace.
Even following Princess's suggestion for people who don't want to dress up is questioned in their minds.

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. "
I agree with the above and thank you although it drives the "pro-formal" folks wild!
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,360 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by tip
I agree with the above and thank you although it drives the "pro-formal" folks wild!
It's the closest description to what Princess allows on formal nights.
I just don't quite understand why they seem to hide it & continue to let folks believe that formal dress is a requirement when they admit it themselves that a more casual appearance is totally acceptable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
New Hampshire
6,086 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
It's the closest description to what Princess allows on formal nights.
I just don't quite understand why they seem to hide it & continue to let folks believe that formal dress is a requirement when they admit it themselves that a more casual appearance is totally acceptable.
Probably the fact that Princess has 2 descriptions: The formal night's attire & the "what to pack" section that a surprising amount of pax don't read.