Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:36 PM.
446 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by Hlitner
Many years ago when we were young and poor we always booked inside cabins. I will admit that I have had some of the best nights (and days) of sleeping in those inside cabins when I had no clue whether it was day or night.
My query was for friends who will be sailing with us and to save fund$ they opted for an inside-cabin.
DW and I started with an outside-cabin (circa mid-70s) and once we booked a balcony... it's strictly Balcony for us.
A suite is on my Bucket-List but... money (or the lack of) gets in the way.
Fortunately/Unfortunately... I have a built-in "clock" where I automatically wake up after 6-hours or so.
I agree with you regarding the International Cafe as my savior.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1983 Sun Princess R/T San Juan, Puerto Rico
1994 Crown Princess Alaska Cruise-Tour
1994 Star Princess Pacific Coast Cruise
19?? Noordam Alaska Cruise
19?? Holland America Caribbean Cruise
19?? Regency Mo'Bay 2-weeks B-2-B Cruise
19?? Epirotiki (Greek) R/T Athens to Istanbul
1998 Sept. NCL Wind Res Arch Cruise
2008 Nov. NCL Sun 19-Days SF to Santiago, Chile
2009 Sept NCL Sun 7-Days Vancouver-BC to S-Francisco
2013 July NCL Jewel R/T: Seattle-Alaska
2013 Sept. NCL Pride of America Hawaiian Isles
2014 May NCL Pearl 5-Day LA to Vancouver, BC
2017 March NCL Jewel: 7-Day Mexico R/T: San Pedro, CA
2017 May NCL Sun: 14-Day SF via Alaska to Vancouver, BC
2018 Jan. Grand Princess: Mexico R/T: San Francisco, CA
2018 Apr. NCL STAR: 14-Day Panama-Canal (LA to Miami)

Australia
29 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
I loved the darkness of the inside cabin, slept like a baby! But yeah, definitely pitch black and no way to tell night from day.

Got a balcony room on my second cruise and while I loved the morning sunrise photo opportunities, I definitely didn’t sleep as well (though that could also be because the second time I was with my grandma and she needed to keep the bathroom light on and door opened for the first half of the trip to get to the bathroom. I eventually bought her a torch so I could get some sleep through the night!).
South Carolina
30,135 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Very Dark! Some book the insides for total darkness.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
Sydney, Australia
8,398 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
It depends on whether the TV and phone have red LEDs or green ones. If they are green then there is a distinct glow from them which stops the cabin from being pitch black.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Mar 2018 - Diamond Princess - Sydney to Yokohama
Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean
Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
Two Rivers, Wisc.
1,856 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
I do the TV routine, works great but also bring the little tea lights from Dollar Tree. I don't need total darkness so I put one on the corner of the desk, keeps me from bumping into it!
Long Island,NY
3,813 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Sailor1959
Are there automatic night-lights in inside-cabins ?
If we turn OFF the lights... will it be pitch dark ?

TIA,
Yes,definitely pitch dark . Try taking a night light.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lenny
Chelsea MA
5,092 Posts
Joined Mar 2014

TIA,
1) No
2) just about pitch dark a little light from under the cabin door.
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
California
320 Posts
Joined May 2016
It is dark for sure. No matter the room we are in it’s dark at night. I always leave the bathroom light on with the door slightly open so I don’t break my neck getting up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Plus, I don’t like pitch black anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nov 2017 - Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera
Sept 2018 - Grand Princess - Alaska
April 20, 2017 - Caribbean Princess - Europe
October 22, 2006 - Mariner of the Seas - Western Caribbean
August 4, 2002 - Grandeur of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
Tampa
1,339 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
I remember years ago waking up in my inside cabin feeling fully rested. Looked at my (not smartphone) to see it was 6:30 am. I thought great I can catch the sunrise. Headed up on deck and was surprised to see so many people out and about.

It was actually 9:30 am.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Family is God's Masterpiece"
[email protected]
Upcoming:
Caribbean Princess 6/9/2018

Completed:
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Sensation 2006
NCL Pearl 2007
Emerald Princess 2009
Carnival Legend 2010
Star Princess 3/2011
Carnival Destiny 11/2011
Emerald Princess 11/17/2012
Royal Princess 10/29 & 11/3/2013
Caribbean Princess 11/1 & 11/6/2014
Regal 11/8/2015
Emerald 1/18/2016
Regal Princess 11/13/2016
Royal Princess 3/20/2017
Chico, California
10,988 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Inside cabins are as dark as the soul of Sauron as he lurked in Mordor. On our first cruise I figured out on my own to turn the TV to the bridge cam so it got lighter as the sun came up. Otherwise, I was waking up and not knowing if it was the middle of the night or the middle of the day. I bought some really low powered night lights that worked in the bathroom socket and barely provided any light at all. Perfect. The down side to those lights is that every time we booked an inside after that we were upgraded or offered a cheap upsell so have never had an inside cabin again! We've booked them but...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

Israel
151 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Last time I had an inside, the first night I woke every 2 hours to look at my smart phone to see if it was morning yet. Second night I put the alarm on for 7.00. If I woke up before it rang I knew it was still night time and to go back to sleep. After it rang I knew it was morning, but could still sleep more if I wanted to.
League City, TX
41,245 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by moki'smommy

Best tips--bring a night light. Leave bathroom light on and door cracked open.
We bring a night light (without the different sized prongs) and plug it into the shaver outlet inb the bathroom. We do not turn the main bathroom light on. We then leave the bathroom door open a little.

Once your eyes are adjusted to the dark, between the nightlight from the bathroom and the light from under the door to the hallway you can safely find your way from bed to bathroom and back.
6,131 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by J & G
How dark? Darker than the inside of a cow!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.

/Groucho

For the folks who do want dark, like me, an inside cabin isn't all that dark.
There is a lot of light leaking in under and around the door.
I usually pile up some pillows there.

On Grand class ships, there is an annoying green LED in the thermostat.
I usually cover that with a piece of aluminum foil from the nightly chocolate.

On some ships, there is a small light in one of the switch panels.
I usually cover that with foil, as well.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
SoCal, USA
6,653 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by pablo222
Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.

/Groucho
My favorite quote!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
^_^
born2tvl at yahoo dot com (please put "Cruise Critic" in subject line)
CRUISERS from California - Click here

UPCOMING CRUISES:

GREAT MEMORIES: Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Feb 2018 (Yum Yum Man Worshipers 10-yr anniversary!) ~ NCL Dawn W. Caribbean (7 days) Mar 2017 ~ Westerdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Oct 2016 (4 stars! ) ~ Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska Inside Passage (7 days) May 2016 ~ NCL Sun Mexican Riviera (w/ Acapulco and Manzanillo) (11 days) Oct 2015 (the sweet suite life!) ~ Noordam Alaska Inside Passage (7 days) May 2015 (Bronze Medallion!) ~ Noordam Pacific Coastal (4 days) May 2015 ~ Zuiderdam Alaska Inside Passage (7 days) May 2013 ~ Zuiderdam Pacific Coastal (4 days) May 2013 ~ Zaandam Mexican Riviera (w/ Loreto) (8 days) Apr 2013 ~ Oosterdam Circle Hawaii (14 days) Mar 2012 ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Dec 2011 ~ Oosterdam Sea of Cortez (10 days) Apr 2011 (Mother/Daughter Cruise!) ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2010 (First DVS & Neptune Lounge!) ~ Carnival Spirit Alaska (7 days) June 2010 (aft-wrap!) ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2009 ~ NCL Star CTN (2 days) Nov 2009 ~ Carnival Elation Baja Mexico (5 days) Jan 2009 ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Apr 2008 ~ Golden Princess Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2007 ~ Monarch of the Seas Baja Mexico (3 days) Jun 2005 ~ Ryndam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2003 ~ Viking Serenade Baja Mexico (4 days) Apr 2001 (Dad's 85th B-Day!) ~ Maasdam Panama Canal (full transit) (10 days) Apr 2000 ~ Rotterdam V Alaska (7 days) Aug 1997 (I'm hooked!)
Victoria, BC
388 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
My query was for friends who will be sailing with us and to save fund$ they opted for an inside-cabin.
You will not see much of your friends if they have an inside. They'll be sleeping. We loved our inside cave (yes it was pitch black in there) but we lost half the cruise to sleep and we were in the SAME time zone! We've decided we can never get an inside again. We're too weak, and the dark is too relaxing. We ignored all our alarms and snoozed past breakfast, often past lunch, almost every day. On a good note, we certainly came back new.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Emerald Princess: 23rd September Pacific Coastal
Emerald Princess: 24th September Classic California Coast
Jericho, New York
5,544 Posts
Joined Feb 2008

TIA,
Very! I suggest you bring a small night light if you do not want pitch black and leave it on all night. I wouldn't like it, but that is me. If you can put the TV on and have access to the ships camera- at least you will see the sun come up and some light- The newer ships even have a projection on the wall of inside cabins to resemble a balcony view- so much better.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Stella Solaris 7/80's?, Sheraton Barge down Nile , 1980's, Celebrity Zenith 2001, Celebrity Summit 4/11,8/12,8/13,8/14,8/7/16, 8/13/17, CelebrityInfinity 1/11 , RC: Liberty of the Seas 8/08,
Oasis ofthe Seas 3/10, Allure of the Seas 3/12, 1/14 ,12/15
Freedom of the Seas 8/06, Disney Magic 01/03, Disney Wonder 1/10,Carnival Valor 8/05 ,Carnival Freedom 08/06,
Carnival Liberty 01/08, Carnival Victory 6/02,
Carnival Legend 8/04, Carnival Glory 06/09
Crown Princess 8/07, Caribbean Princess 8/09, 08/11, Celebrity Eclipse 12/12, Celebrity Equinox 1/11, CelebrityReflection 3/13 ,3/16 Celebrity Solstice 1/09, Celebrity Infinity 8/03,
Celebrity Silouhette 1/14, 3/14,1/16,Celebrity Eclipse 1/15, Quantum of the Seas 3/13/15, NCL Breakaway 8/9/15, RC Harmony of the Sea 3/11/17,
Future:
Celebrity Silhouette 3/18/18, Celebrity Eclipse 1/7/18, , Adventure of the Seas 8/10/18, Celebrity Edge 12/30/18, 1/6/19, Celebrity Silhouette 3/15/19
277 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
One other thing to note, beside the beds are light switches that will allow you to turn off all the lights in the cabin not just the ones beside the bed.

They have come in handy when we have forgotten to turn off the overhead light.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
461 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
I have to admit that the inside cabins on the RCCL ships were a lot darker than Regal Princess' inside cabin.
A disclaimer: I am night blind.
DS (6 at the time) slept till 11 in the inside cabin.
When we got a balcony for the first time ever last year, he still slept forever and didn't want to get up even at past 10 am. At home he is up at 8 am on weekends.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regal Princess in November 2017.
Royal Princess in November 2018.