Queens Grill dining is it better

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:10 PM.
CA, USA
14,453 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by cook68
Allow me too refer you to this thread. https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sh....php?t=2633905
Sorry, but I do not see that asserting oneself against reluctant service staff the same as being rude or overbearing. There is a big difference between asking for what you ar entitled to when it is being denied to you and being a boor.
38 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
I completely agree with wipro .

I see a lot of replies from people who are not seasoned QG cruisers who have been fobbed off when they ask for something extra. That is where this forum is useful, it informs new QG cruisers what is available.

Of course you should ask politely for something off menu. However if a waiter tries to deny this is available /allowed , he/she is being rude and disrespecting a passenger who has paid a lot for a cruise. It is not being rude to politely insist on getting what you have paid for. I've always found it pays to be polite , but this does not mean accepting poor service.
CA, USA
14,453 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by Windsurfboy
I completely agree with wipro .

I see a lot of replies from people who are not seasoned QG cruisers who have been fobbed off when they ask for something extra. That is where this forum is useful, it informs new QG cruisers what is available.

Of course you should ask politely for something off menu. However if a waiter tries to deny this is available /allowed , he/she is being rude and disrespecting a passenger who has paid a lot for a cruise. It is not being rude to politely insist on getting what you have paid for. I've always found it pays to be polite , but this does not mean accepting poor service.
Agree completely. I just take it for granted that one will ask for something politely!
64 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Originally posted by wripro
Agree completely. I just take it for granted that one will ask for something politely!
My apologies wripo I took your comment on the last page as being demanding! and to me it looked rude but it appears written words can be misinterpreted and clearly I was mistaken.
CA, USA
14,453 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by cook68
My apologies wripo I took your comment on the last page as being demanding! and to me it looked rude but it appears written words can be misinterpreted and clearly I was mistaken.
No problem. I consider myself a very polite and courteous person but also one who will not be intimidated. Service staff have been known to be rude as well and I was responding to the idea that they try to refuse to provide what a passenger is entitled to.
38 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
One thought , it may not be entirely the waiter's fault, they may well be under pressure from above , who are under pressure from the bean counters to save money by reducing off menu requests.
491 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
I’ve sailed QG quite a few times and the only time I’ve ever seen anyone flat out denied anything was when they tried to order off menu at dinner. You should at least request by lunch for things that are more common (like beef Wellington or Dover sole or flambé desserts) and they definitely prefer by dinner the night before. Timing might be a big part of how the requests are treated and handled.
468 Posts
Joined May 2007
Travelling in Queens Grille for the first time soon. Would love any suggestions of things to try to order “off menu”
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival - Carribean 1995
P+O (Oceania)- Carribean + Transatlantic 2004
Royal Carribean (Splendour of the Seas) Italy, Greece + Turkey 2008
Celebrity (Mercury) Alaska 2008
Celebrity (Mercury) Hawaii 2009
Princess (Grand Princess) Northern Europe 2009
Princess (Carribean Princess) Carribean 2010
Cunard (Queen Elizabeth) Mediterranean 2011
Princess (Grand Princess) Carribean 2011
Swann Helenic (Minerva ) Eastern Europe 2012
Cunard (Queen Mary 2) Middle East 2013
Princess (Grand Princess) Iceland and Norway 2013
Princess (Diamond Princess ) Asia 2013
Cunard (Queen Mary 2) Mediterranean 2014
Princess (Sapphire Princess) Asia 2014
Fred Olsen (Balmoral ) Mediterranean 2015
Cunard (Queen Mary 2) South Africa 2015
Celebrity (Eclipse) transatlantic eastbound 2015
Celebrity (Eclipse) transatlantic westbound 2015
P+O (Brittania), Mediterranean 2016
Celebrity (Millenium) Asia and Eastern Orient Express 2016
Thompson (Majesty) Canaries 2017
Cunard (Queen Mary 2) India then Middle East and home 2017
Cunard (Queen Mary 2) transatlantic Eastbound 2017
Oceania (Riviera) Carribean 2017
Cunard (Queen Elizabeth) Indian Ocean and Africa 2018
Cunard (Queen Mary 2) Transatlantic westbound 2018 planned
Cunard (Queen Mary 2) Transatlantic-Caribbean-Transatlantic 2018 planned
Cunard (Queen Victoria) Hong Kong to Southampton 2019 planned
Cunard (Queen Elizabeth) Japan B2B2B April 2020 planned
491 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by GillCC
Travelling in Queens Grille for the first time soon. Would love any suggestions of things to try to order “off menu”

A lot of the “off menu” items have made it “on menu” over the years- usual suspects are Dover sole, chateaubriand, beef Wellington, etc. Tableside deserts are fun- the big three are crepes Suzette, cherries jubilee, and bananas foster.

It’s a great marketing piece to say you can order whatever you want, but the reality is you are limited to what they have onboard and the pantry is a lot more limited today than it was 20 years ago. Simpler tastes, cost cutting these days, who knows. But it isn’t as wide of a selection as the old days.

Capt Nick Bates (then chief officer I believe) always told a great story when he hosted an officers table. Woman got onboard QE2 and told the Maitre ‘d in Queens Grill that she had blown all her money on this trip and she wanted to enjoy herself at dinner. He told her she could order whatever she wanted- sky was the limit. She turned and said “what would make me happier than anything would be an elephant steak” to which the maitre ‘d promptly asked her, “would that be Indian or African?”

Have fun with it!
Mississauga, Canada
1,501 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
The mention of Dover Sole reminded me of an amusing moment on the QM2. It was the last time we were in PG and at one dinner I quietly said to my wife that the à la carte menu no longer had Dover Sole Meunière on it.

The waiter obviously overheard this because the next day the Maître d' came into the lounge whilst we were taking tea and said: "I understand you would like to have Dover Sole which we can prepare for you tonight." Knowing that we can't order off-menu in PG as much as in QG I would never have made the request. Such service is impressive.
490 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by GillCC
Off menu dishes ordered, either by individuals or as a table on our last couple of cruises on Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria. Twenty four hours notice is usually given

Garlic prawn linguine
Spaghetti bolognese
Spaghetti scaloppine - all three cooked tableside
Peking Duck -three days notice needed
anything off the Lido pop up restaurant menus -discuss ''when'' with the Maitre 'd
Italian evening which involves table side cooking of the pasta -menu sorted out by the Maitre 'd - warning, the cold appetizer was a meal in itself, wonderful
Indian evening - menu sorted out by the Maitre 'd
a couple of days notice was given for the Italian/Indian meals
Caesar salad - tableside prepared
Caviar as an appetizer as often as you wish - no need to pre order in my experience
Crepes Suzette- usually order at lunch time for dinner same evening but can ask that evening if it's possible and it often is

Hope this gives a few ideas for you. Enjoy.
490 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by Victoria2
Off menu dishes ordered, either by individuals or as a table on our last couple of cruises on Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria. Twenty four hours notice is usually given

Garlic prawn linguine
Spaghetti bolognese
Spaghetti scaloppine - all three cooked tableside
Peking Duck -three days notice needed
anything off the Lido pop up restaurant menus -discuss ''when'' with the Maitre 'd
Italian evening which involves table side cooking of the pasta -menu sorted out by the Maitre 'd - warning, the cold appetizer was a meal in itself, wonderful
Indian evening - menu sorted out by the Maitre 'd
a couple of days notice was given for the Italian/Indian meals
Caesar salad - tableside prepared
Caviar as an appetizer as often as you wish - no need to pre order in my experience
Crepes Suzette- usually order at lunch time for dinner same evening but can ask that evening if it's possible and it often is

Hope this gives a few ideas for you. Enjoy.
In addition, I often order a salad of my choice for lunch and occasionally a simple scallops and steamed veg dish for dinner. You can have anything from Hot Dog and Fries at lunch time, to Lobster Newburg for dinner. If it tickles your taste buds, then order it initially from your Head Waiter who might occasionally defer your request to the Maitre 'd. A request might be very politely refused but I have yet to have that happen to me. There again, I haven't had a yearning for Elephant Steak!
Gower Peninsula, Wales
3,235 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
On longer voyages my tummy (IBS) can struggle with lots of food, which is richer than usual, so I often ask for a simple baked potato, sometimes topped with a little grated cheese, with a mixed salad. Although the waiters appear horrified that it is all I want, it suits me.

Or I regularly ask for pasta with a tomato sauce.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill

QM2 - March 2019
Ventura - February 2020
Staffordshire
2,640 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
When you order "a la carte" and give notice by lunch time in OG they obviously have spares in case of emergency. On our last cruise on QE we ordered whole duck a la orange at lunch for dinner. The head waiter came that evening with the duck on a trolley to table side so proud and feeling important and then proceeded to cut it in half. One half of the duck decided to try and escape flew off the plate/trolley and onto the floor and which the head waiter then demanded another from the kitchen and blamed the poor waiter because the plate the duck was on was too small thats why it fell off.
250 Posts
Joined May 2004
1st time on Cunard, 1st time in PG. Will we also be able to order things off the menu? I love tableside presentation such as Dover sole and Steak Diane. We're on a guarantee, so in my dreams we are upgraded to QG. Wonder what the odds are. We sail May of '19 and in P1 there are 7 cabins left. Any thoughts?
491 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by bz
1st time on Cunard, 1st time in PG. Will we also be able to order things off the menu? I love tableside presentation such as Dover sole and Steak Diane. We're on a guarantee, so in my dreams we are upgraded to QG. Wonder what the odds are. We sail May of '19 and in P1 there are 7 cabins left. Any thoughts?

Don’t mean to be the bearer of bad news but off menu ordering in PG is generally at the discretion of the MD and doesn’t happen very often. That’s not to say it hasn’t happened or won’t happen again- just not part of the normal program.

You do however get the a la carte menu which is the best part of upgrading to Grills.

In terms of an upgrade we’ve got one once from PG (really Britannia Grill on QE2 but same thing) and were upgraded to a Q3 on One Deck. Has never happened to us on QM2 since. So again, possible, but extremely unlikely.
USA
195 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Although we North American Cunarders "enjoy" about 20% of the Cunard website with NO access to most of it, including the sample menus, you can "break into" the UK site via Hulu and other web workarounds. There are sample and up to date menu samples for all restaurants, room service etc etc.

And frankly, the a la carte menu (which changes every seven days btw) for both Queens and Princess Grill is... impressive and covers starters, main courses and maybe (although not listed on the web) desserts. And while you may not be able to special order on a whim in PG, you'd have to be pretty fussy not to find more than enough from the a la carte and the daily menus. It's far better in terms of choice than say Oceania MDR.

I was interested that luncheon is the same for Queens and Princess Grills. But as a huge breakfast fan, QG offers an expanded choice including my favourite, Kedgeree.... I guess as a lowly PG passenger I will have to sulk a bit for 17 days come August. Or maybe try a special order at breakfast in PG....!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

FRANCE-RAFFAELLO-LEONARDO DA VINCI-STEFAN BATORY-QUEEN ELIZABETH 2-CANBERRA-UGANDA-GUGLIELMO MARCONI-EUROPA-CENTAUR-VISTAFJORD-BALTIKA-ORIANA-ACHILLE LAURO-OCEANIC-BRITANIS-AKDENIZ-ROTTERDAM-ST. HELENA-EUGENIO C.-BLACK PRINCE-BLACK WATCH-R7-PILGRIM BELLE-REGAL EMPRESS-VICTORIA-REGATTA-MAASDAM-CARONIA-QUEEN MARY 2-EURODAM-NIEUW AMSTERDAM-MARINA-RIVIERA-QUEEN ELIZABETH
491 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by kohl57
I was interested that luncheon is the same for Queens and Princess Grills. But as a huge breakfast fan, QG offers an expanded choice including my favourite, Kedgeree.... I guess as a lowly PG passenger I will have to sulk a bit for 17 days come August. Or maybe try a special order at breakfast in PG....!

You have 17 days- could always try a hunger strike for Kedgeree for the first two...
69 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by kohl57
Although we North American Cunarders "enjoy" about 20% of the Cunard website with NO access to most of it, including the sample menus, you can "break into" the UK site via Hulu and other web workarounds. There are sample and up to date menu samples for all restaurants, room service etc etc.

And frankly, the a la carte menu (which changes every seven days btw) for both Queens and Princess Grill is... impressive and covers starters, main courses and maybe (although not listed on the web) desserts. And while you may not be able to special order on a whim in PG, you'd have to be pretty fussy not to find more than enough from the a la carte and the daily menus. It's far better in terms of choice than say Oceania MDR.

Our experience in PG was that it was very easy to special order things on the QG menu within reason, so I would explain politely to the M.D. that kedgeree is your absolute favourite and see what they suggest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums