Roundtrip Crossings

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:31 AM.
San Francisco, CA
1,351 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Recommend:
  • Taking ferry from Red Hook (right next to QM2) to Wall St Pier.
  • Short Walk to Wall St subway.
  • Take #2 or #3 uptown to 34th St/Penn Station.
  • Walk 2 blocks to Camera store on 9th at 34th
  • Walk back to 7th Ave Penn Station
  • (Optional - decent lunch at Tick-Tock Diner in New Yorker Hotel on 8th)
  • Take 2 or 3 back downtown to Fulton St.
  • (Optional - check out 9/11 Memorial and/or Museum & Freedom Tower)
  • Walk to Brooklyn Bridge (Keep your eye out for lunch if you haven't eaten yet)
  • Walk Brooklyn Bridge
  • Take cab back to ship
- Mark
San Francisco, CA
1,351 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
OOPS - I changed my advice re subway lines and didn't completely re-edit. Here's how it should've read...
  • Take ferry from Red Hook (right next to QM2) to Wall St Pier.
  • Short Walk to Wall St subway.
  • Take #2 or #3 uptown to 34th St/Penn Station.
  • Walk 2 blocks to Camera store on 9th at 34th
  • Walk back to 7th Ave Penn Station
  • (Optional - decent lunch at Tick-Tock Diner in New Yorker Hotel on 8th)
  • Take 2 or 3 back downtown
  • (Optional - get off at Fulton St check out 9/11 Memorial and/or Museum & Freedom Tower)
  • Walk to Brooklyn Bridge (Keep your eye out for lunch if you haven't eaten yet)
  • Walk Brooklyn Bridge
  • Take cab back to ship
- Mark
213 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
As another native (but a long time ago) NY'er, I'd suggest combining elements of the various suggested itineraries. The parts that appeal most to me are (1) the walk across Brooklyn Bridge, (2) the boat ride down the East River to the Red Hook Cruise Terminal, and (3) the Cunard bus from Macy's Department Store on 34th St (obviously the last two are alternatives -- can't do both).

Be aware, though, that although both Macy's and the ferry pier are both at 34th St, they're on almost opposite edges of Manhattan Island. That's a pretty long walk. And the worst traffic is on the crosstown (east-west) streets that a cab would need to use in getting from one to the other. Note also that the ship presumably will wait for the Cunard bus, but not for the ferry from 34th St, which could always encounter an unforeseen delay (even assuming the Saturday schedule shows a departure time that would work).

If it were me, I'd be inclined to do the Bridge walk and take the boat back from 34th St if the schedule looks workable, but allow lots and lots of time to get across town to the ferry pier.

As for lunch, keep in mind that Lower Manhattan and the Garment District (around 34th St once you're east of Macy's and towards the East River piers), most of the simple lunch places are closed on weekends. These are business neighborhoods, not tourist areas. But on Saturday or any other day you couldn't keep me away from the Second Avenue Deli at 162 E. 33d St (not on Second Av), en route to the ferry pier, which is one of the last two or three classic East European/Jewish deli's in NY (and just about in the whole US too). If you like, and/or have never had, a really good hot Roumanian pastrami sandwich, not to mention other "Jewish" foods, this is your place. Eat like a local (or like the locals used to eat, anyway).
Pennsylvania
6,244 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
The DUMBO ferry pier is right under the Brooklyn end of the Brooklyn bridge (I assumed it would be closer to the Manhattan Bridge, but go figure). I don't know how hard it is to get from the bridge pedestrian path to the river (maybe someone else has experience?) but it might be worth looking into.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 8 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
ms Eurodam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Derbyshire
288 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Can anyone tell me how the Cunard shuttle bus works please...I will want to go into NY whilst in port and would prefer the easiest option available thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
3,015 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
I never used the Cunard Bus into Manhattan- I know the unload their passengers at Macy´s - and bring them back from exactly there. However, if you ask for the easiest way- I highly recommend the afore mentiones NY- Ferry- from Red Hook to Wall Street. From that point you can visist any place in Manhattan- wonderful experience- and it is wonderful to go by boat along the Skyline and under the Brooklyn Bridge! That ist also the cheapest way to get into town.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Derbyshire
288 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Thank you for that I will look at the previous posts and work it all out I like the idea of the ferry sounds like an event in itself

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature