P&O drinks prices and packages

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:45 AM.
Nottinghamshire - UK
1,815 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Did it last time but had a brilliant wine waiter who made sure our glassess were always topped up and ended up having 2 packages eek.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Adventures
2018 Oceana Round Trip Caribbean
2017 Celebrity Constellation Israel/Med
2016 Marco Polo Dublin Weekender
2016 Independence of the Seas Transatlantic
2015 Carnival Sunshine Florida/Caribbean
2014 Royal Princess Copenhagen to New York
2014 Aurora Singapore to Southampton
2013 Ruby Princess Eastern Mediterranean
2013 Arcadia Norwegian Fjords
2013 Azura Transatlantic
2012 Adventure of the Seas Transatlantic
2012 Braemar British Isles
2012 Ryndam Caribbean
2011 Celebrity Eclipse Italian Mediterranean
2010 Sapphire Princess Sydney, South Pacific, Los Angeles
2010 Noordam Southern Caribbean
2009 Diamond Princess Far East/Alaska
2009 Sea Princess Grand Caribbean Islander
2008 Star Princess South America/Pacific
2007 Sea Princes Tropical Transatlantic
2006 QE2 Summer Retreat
2006 Sapphire Princess Taste of the Orient
2005 Oceana Iberian Interlude
2005 Adonia Panama & Mexican Riviera
2004 Oceana Mexican Magic
2003 Arcadia Brazilian Affair
2002 Sunbird Caribbean
2000 Superstar Gemini Straits of Malacca
1998 Carousel Caribbean cruise and stay
17 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Thanks. How does that work? I thought any left over wine was stored for the next time you went to the restaurant? You seem to be suggesting that the wine wait or tops th3 glass up?
Nottinghamshire - UK
1,815 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Exactly right on all accounts. You can of course say no to the topup and have it the following evening but we found there was never anything left over!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Adventures
2018 Oceana Round Trip Caribbean
2017 Celebrity Constellation Israel/Med
2016 Marco Polo Dublin Weekender
2016 Independence of the Seas Transatlantic
2015 Carnival Sunshine Florida/Caribbean
2014 Royal Princess Copenhagen to New York
2014 Aurora Singapore to Southampton
2013 Ruby Princess Eastern Mediterranean
2013 Arcadia Norwegian Fjords
2013 Azura Transatlantic
2012 Adventure of the Seas Transatlantic
2012 Braemar British Isles
2012 Ryndam Caribbean
2011 Celebrity Eclipse Italian Mediterranean
2010 Sapphire Princess Sydney, South Pacific, Los Angeles
2010 Noordam Southern Caribbean
2009 Diamond Princess Far East/Alaska
2009 Sea Princess Grand Caribbean Islander
2008 Star Princess South America/Pacific
2007 Sea Princes Tropical Transatlantic
2006 QE2 Summer Retreat
2006 Sapphire Princess Taste of the Orient
2005 Oceana Iberian Interlude
2005 Adonia Panama & Mexican Riviera
2004 Oceana Mexican Magic
2003 Arcadia Brazilian Affair
2002 Sunbird Caribbean
2000 Superstar Gemini Straits of Malacca
1998 Carousel Caribbean cruise and stay
17 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Originally posted by Cruisiesusie05
Exactly right on all accounts. You can of course say no to the topup and have it the following evening but we found there was never anything left over!
Thanks for the advice. I usually find nothing left over as well lol By the way I like your signature. Sounds like my life lol
London
56 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Definitely. If you buy the wine package of x number of bottles, do you leave it with them, keep it in your cabin, or what?? If they hold it and you decide you'd like to have a glass or two in your room, do you have to go and fetch it???
17 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Originally posted by quby33
Definitely. If you buy the wine package of x number of bottles, do you leave it with them, keep it in your cabin, or what?? If they hold it and you decide you'd like to have a glass or two in your room, do you have to go and fetch it???
Yes. I imagine it’s so that you leave wine in restaurant and then have to buy more to use in the room or elsewhere. The wine waiter may be generous as Pippa says but I would rather have the choice rather than leaving it to chance on how good your waiter is! Sounds to me that P&O are exploiting customers to me!

I am not poorly off but I Like to budget in advance on holiday. Seems that P&O may not have caught up with real life yet!
17 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
According to my countdown clock it’s 158 days to sailing. Can’t wait.

So here is a question to think about - given the itinerary what is the place you are most looking forward to visiting and why?
Staffordshire
1,199 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by quby33
We've had drinks packages included when on Celebrity. Saves all the bother of signing for everything.
Drinks packages are fine if you drink regularly but we had "free" drinks package on Celebrity and for us it was a complete waste. One glass of wine with dinner each evening, the occasional speciality coffee (which we only bothered to have because they were included in the package), one pint of lager for my husband and bottle of sparkling water for me each evening are probably lower than the cost of buying a drinks package if we had to pay for it. Nothing in life is free so in my opinion everyone on Celebrity ship is actually paying for the package regardless of how much or little they drink. Non-drinkers or low level drinkers are probably subsidising those who go over the top.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nottingham, UK
207 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
We had the drinks package as our Free At Sea incentive on NCL last year. Much better value than the Free WiFi or Free Speciality Restaurant options and we loved the freedom of not having to worry about our onboard account which finished up being just $80 for 10 days! Looking out for whales at sail away from each port, Magaritas in hand, whatever we wanted all evening, made for a very relaxed holiday and we tried lots of things we'd never have ordered had we been paying per drink. Tipsy but not drunk at any point. Great holiday!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app
17 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
That’s the way I feel about it. I have done the maths and think as a moderate holiday drinker a package makes sense, especially in you include soft drinks in that. I prefer to budget everything in advance then not have to even consider what I spend while I am away.

So question for seasoned cruisers - apart from the lovely Caribbean, this is by way of a retirement cruise for me after 48 years of work (well I am not retiring completely), if you were in my position on this cruise what would be your must do?
Surrey, UK
1,566 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by Josy1953
Drinks packages are fine if you drink regularly but we had "free" drinks package on Celebrity and for us it was a complete waste. One glass of wine with dinner each evening, the occasional speciality coffee (which we only bothered to have because they were included in the package), one pint of lager for my husband and bottle of sparkling water for me each evening are probably lower than the cost of buying a drinks package if we had to pay for it. Nothing in life is free so in my opinion everyone on Celebrity ship is actually paying for the package regardless of how much or little they drink. Non-drinkers or low level drinkers are probably subsidising those who go over the top.
I agree, nothing in life is free, but with Celebrity sometimes the cruises with drinks packages are comparable with the P&O ones without. We are doing a Celebrity Baltic cruise with Balcony, Drinks and tips paid for 2150. On the same day a P&O Baltic with Balcony no drinks and no tips was 2300. You just have to pick and choose when.
I wish P&O did drinks packages, nice to know your costs upfront.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
36 Cruises - 20 Ships - 394 Nights at Sea
P&O (22): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(4), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(6), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (4): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette Thomson (4): Island Breeze, Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland America (1): Eurodam Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
Thornton-Cleveleys UK
344 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Is the latest price for 12 bottle wine package £239 for Connoisseur and £203 for Captain collection? Can't find a later one than 2017 on the P&O site.
Also if we get lumped on anytime dining and don't finish a bottle (rarity I accept) will the waiters locate our bottle if we are at the other end of the restaurant the next night?
132 Posts
Joined May 2015
Originally posted by mickrory
Is the latest price for 12 bottle wine package £239 for Connoisseur and £203 for Captain collection? Can't find a later one than 2017 on the P&O site.
Also if we get lumped on anytime dining and don't finish a bottle (rarity I accept) will the waiters locate our bottle if we are at the other end of the restaurant the next night?
Yes, they give you a card with details of the unfinished wine, so if you present this to your wine waiter he can retrieve the bottle. You can also do this in a completely different restaurant on board, presemably the bottles are held in a central location.