New GDPR laws- It could affect your loyalty points and booking.

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:40 AM.
132 Posts
Joined May 2015
My wife had the 'New DATA regulations' letter today. Impossible to register her account - see previous posts - couldn't get through on phone.
The letter says "If you wish to remain a peninsular club member ... You will need to create an account ...

Does this mean that if she can't do this she will lose her benefits? Is this another example of P&O changing the rules after booking, in the same way as increasing the autotips or banning bringing alcohol aboard at ports?
Yorkshire
1,582 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Before we updated our P&O peninsular club membership my wife membership was not being
recognised when she tried to login but mine went through fine.
I phoned P&O up and they said they could see I had a booking on my account and all the past were through my e-mail as well.
They advised the easy way would be for her to re register with an alternative e-mail address.
SO that's what she did ,it will ask you to put your name address etc and then it invites you to put in your customer number
(This is in the letter she had sent to register or any past bookings with P&O)

Goes something like EWO*******H . Once entered hit update and it will show as your wife's account
also remember to tick the box I wish to remain a member of the Peninsular club and hit the update button and that's it, her membership is safe, she will lose nothing .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
.Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else

Thomson Destiny 28/12/11 + 16/03/1 ... Thomson Majesty 28.12.12 Thomson Dream 26.04.13 ... Thomson Spirit 02.08.13 ... princess crown 26.9
Fred Olsen Boudica 28.06.14 ... Thomson Spirit 16-8-14 Ventura 2-5-15 ..ventura aft cabin 21-7-15 Ventura New Year 15 Azura Barbados to Southampton March-April 2016 Ventura New Year Dec16 - Azura 14 nt TA 17-3-17--Aurora New Year 17/18 ... 14 - Ventura 12 nights 28.3.18
Devon, UK
4,764 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Yes, I have been a member for a few years, so I had to re-register, put in my Peninsular number - log out, then log in again and all my history was there and my Loyalty. I did it through the forgot my password option and then filled in my details.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

United Kingdom
524 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
I have finally got mine sorted out after several emails and posts on their Facebook page, all of which stated that I don't do hanging on the phone. The person who contacted me had to de-register my email, because I only have one, so that I could re register it.
My account works fine now. God help my daughter if she ever wants to get in, but I don't think she's able to cruise at present. If she did it would be with me and I have access.
England
1,265 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by smj777
My wife had the 'New DATA regulations' letter today. Impossible to register her account - see previous posts - couldn't get through on phone.
The letter says "If you wish to remain a peninsular club member ... You will need to create an account ...

Does this mean that if she can't do this she will lose her benefits? Is this another example of P&O changing the rules after booking, in the same way as increasing the autotips or banning bringing alcohol aboard at ports?
Nobody will lose their benefits. P&O are implying this to make people update their marketing preferences as, like most organisations, they haven’t fully understood GDPR and assumed that they need to seek consent when they don’t.

In fact, in the last few days Elizabeth Denhan, the Information Commissioner, has made a statement saying that many companies are wrongly jumping to the conclusion that they need to adopt a consent approach when they don’t.

Anyhow, for those who are anxious, P&O has stated that if someone doesn’t provide consent they will hold their loyalty points on record so that they can be reactivated at a later stage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 155 nights over 14 cruises (Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 62 nights over 4 cruises (2018 - Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
Seascale,Cumbria,U.K.
6,039 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by Selbourne
Nobody will lose their benefits. P&O are implying this to make people update their marketing preferences as, like most organisations, they haven’t fully understood GDPR and assumed that they need to seek consent when they don’t.

In fact, in the last few days Elizabeth Denhan, the Information Commissioner, has made a statement saying that many companies are wrongly jumping to the conclusion that they need to adopt a consent approach when they don’t.

Anyhow, for those who are anxious, P&O has stated that if someone doesn’t provide consent they will hold their loyalty points on record so that they can be reactivated at a later stage.
Thanks for that, because the phones seem to be too busy when I try... and my husband still hasn't had notice- and he books directly with them and pays!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jo.
21 cruises; 12 ships; 8 lines; 96 ports
Oxfordshire UK
97 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by Selbourne

Thanks for putting this so clearly. I have noticed the many varying approaches adopted by the companies I deal with. Many have just reissued their privacy policy and left it at that. I think you are right that it is all about completing their database for mail shots and junk email!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Disney: Magic Mediterranean 2007, Western Caribbean 2008, Baltic 2010, Westbound TA 2011, Eastern Mediterranean 2014, Westbound TA 2014, Westbound TA 2016. Wonder California Coast Repo 2012
Celebrity: Summit Caribbean 2012, Century Alaska 2012, Infinity Iceland and Norway 2013, Constellation Greece, Croatia and Turkey 2015, Eclipse Southern Caribbean 2017
Cunard: Queen Victoria Canaries 2011, Queen Mary 2 Eastbound TA 2014, Eastbound TA 2016, Queen Elizabeth Canaries 2017
P&O: Arcadia Mediterranean and Venice 2012, Oriana Iberia and Morocco 2013, Oriana Norway 2018