Service Reward Letter

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:00 AM.
UK
663 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
I think more and more people will be doing the same until things change.

It’s funny that there is such an apparent level of distrust about where the money goes with P&O auto tips that is not refelected in other lines. We sail with several lines and some auto tip but there is not the same discussion and certainly no letters etc to customers who remove, if indeed many do.

The auto grats have been around for a while but the issues are much more recent. New demographic of cruisers who won’t be told what to do and if they don’t have to tip then they simply won’t?
Some of the mistrust is fuelled by information like ccc666 gave, who seemed either to be a member, ex-member of staff or close to someone who is and presented a picture of PO and its treatment of staff viz a viz AG's that was not very flattering to PO to say the least and did more than insinuate that PO did not pass all the money over and informed us how PO weaponised AG's tying them to CSQ's.

Maybe on US lines where they take tipping much more for granted they simply pay because they are used to it and PO being used by Brits who are not so used to tipping and ask a lot of questions.

Scriv wrote
I didn't know this... where did they say/write this please?
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show...&postcount=516
UK
872 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
I have been told by Cruise Critic members (across various cruise lines) that removing AGs and tipping directly for good service means that those receiving a tip directly have to put what they receive into a central pot. Is that not correct?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
England
1,265 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by Sue's Mom
I have been told by Cruise Critic members (across various cruise lines) that removing AGs and tipping directly for good service means that those receiving a tip directly have to put what they receive into a central pot. Is that not correct?
No, that's not correct. Cash tips are allowed to be retained by the individual regardless of whether the passenger has removed the service charge / AG or not.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 155 nights over 14 cruises (Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 62 nights over 4 cruises (2018 - Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
England
1,265 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Sorry, you mention 'various lines'. I don't know about other lines. My answer refers to P&O only.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 155 nights over 14 cruises (Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 62 nights over 4 cruises (2018 - Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
UK
663 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
That they are allowed to keep cash tips and did not affect AG's paid to them was one of the things highlighted in the deleted thread. But if PO are adjusting how the AG's are distributed then that might also be taken into account ie biasing receipts of AG against CS where their passengers remove AG's.
131 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
This is supposed to be a P&O cruises (UK) board and I find it slightly annoying to see that some are lobbying [email protected] into trying to change the way they operate (not just tipping) and bring them into line with "other lines"
Why, there are lots of passengers perfectly happy with the way P&O operates, warts & all and do not necessarily want to see them change to the way "other lines" operate.
We and our friends have been loyal P&O customers for many years and hope to continue to enjoy many more cruises with P&O.
If things are done differently on other lines that are perceived to be better than P&O then everyone has a choice to travel with said "cruise lines" and stop using P&O, it's their choice.
Staffordshire
2,350 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by P-L-B
This is supposed to be a P&O cruises (UK) board and I find it slightly annoying to see that some are lobbying [email protected] into trying to change the way they operate (not just tipping) and bring them into line with "other lines"
Why, there are lots of passengers perfectly happy with the way P&O operates, warts & all and do not necessarily want to see them change to the way "other lines" operate.
We and our friends have been loyal P&O customers for many years and hope to continue to enjoy many more cruises with P&O.
If things are done differently on other lines that are perceived to be better than P&O then everyone has a choice to travel with said "cruise lines" and stop using P&O, it's their choice.
Unfortunately the changes made and ones for the future are not happening because people are lobbying for change it is because P&O are owned by an American company. P&O admitted on their own Facebook page only recently that the last increase in Service Reward was done to bring them slowly in line with all other cruise lines and that has been decided by Carnival.
Scotland
1,135 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Doesn’t really matter if people like things the way they are / want change. Things are changing as Major Correclty points out. P&O is UK in name only now.

Customer lobbying makes little to no difference even where it happens, I certainly don’t think anyone at P&O reads these boards. They don’t event get honest answers to their customer surveys as many people give top marks as this is perceived to protect staff.

None of the cruise lines are perfect and there are aspects of them all that passengers just have to accept, warts and all as you say.
UK
663 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Unfortunately, as others have said, PO are changing things and sometimes not for the better. For example the change in sending letters to customers, cabins who removed AG.

So are you advocating that people simply accept all the changes, warts and all, even if they are seeking to prevent PO from making changes such as this letter to make passengers on holiday feel guilty and which annoy customers and may well. in the end, put people off PO. The so called letter of shame would have continued (though some say it does) without objections and these boards were part of that.
Devon, UK
4,764 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Originally posted by goodsailors
You are assuming they do pay the same in envelopes. Am sure many may do but having overhead conversations some withdraw the AG to reduce their spend.

Another reason to have it added to the cost of the cruise.

I have often wondered though, how those who withdraw the AG then decide who gets what proportion of the AG value that they pay out in envelopes.
It's simple. The autograts are paid to your waiters and your cabin steward (and/or butlers). We halve the amount, give one half to the cabin steward and the other half split between our two waiters. We also tip our wine waiter, but that's a personal choice.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

UK
906 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
When they bring in an all inclusive drinks package to bring them in line with other cruise lines is when I will stop sailing with P & O

Anyway are they still sending these letters out? Has anyone ever changed their minds and then gone back to autotipping would be interesting to know. Because personally I think they are a waste of time as I’m sure if someone takes the tips off they are not going to be swayed by a letter to put them back on.
131 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Appreciate all your comments and thanks for reminding me that P&O is UK in name only
Although, thankfully you don't get that feeling or impression when cruising with them at the moment
Sorry about the apparent rant earlier, it's just our family and cruising friends have a soft spot for P&O, as we have many enjoyable memories cruising with them over the years and the experience works for us.

Back on topic (apologies to the OP for going off).

I do think it's a very bad idea for P&O to reintroduce these letters (if's that's what they've done) for the reasons previously stated.
As far as we are concerned, we will do as jeanlyon and bin them.
Staffordshire
2,350 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by AnOnymously
Unfortunately, as others have said, PO are changing things and sometimes not for the better. For example the change in sending letters to customers, cabins who removed AG.

So are you advocating that people simply accept all the changes, warts and all, even if they are seeking to prevent PO from making changes such as this letter to make passengers on holiday feel guilty and which annoy customers and may well. in the end, put people off PO. The so called letter of shame would have continued (though some say it does) without objections and these boards were part of that.
The letter of shame has not been stopped as was only recently delivered on Oriana so proves that P&O do not listen to anyone. The only difference is that the letters are put in envelopes.
Sunderland England
8,106 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by majortom10
The letter of shame has not been stopped as was only recently delivered on Oriana so proves that P&O do not listen to anyone. The only difference is that the letters are put in envelopes.
Undercover letters then?

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
131 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by grapau27
Undercover letters then?

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
They wouldn't happen to be brown envelopes would they?
If so they could be recycled and used for putting the tips in.
25 Posts
Joined May 2018
Originally posted by jeanlyon
It's simple. The autograts are paid to your waiters and your cabin steward (and/or butlers). We halve the amount, give one half to the cabin steward and the other half split between our two waiters. We also tip our wine waiter, but that's a personal choice.
That is very generous.

I have never experienced a steward do anything which deserved a tip, and the waiters only on one voyage. As for the wine waiters, most seem to be useless.
Devon, UK
4,764 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Our wine waitress on this cruise was superb. And our steward was also super, changing our queen to a twin immediately we asked as we hadn't realized the cabin had upper bunks and we couldn't move. Nothing was too much trouble.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

Southampton
501 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
I don’t know about now, but before AG if you tipped your waiter then some would go the head waiter and some into the gallery for the cooks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
25 Posts
Joined May 2018
Originally posted by jeanlyon
And our steward was also super, changing our queen to a twin immediately we asked as we hadn't realized the cabin had upper bunks and we couldn't move.
That would seem to me to be a standard part of their job.
Southampton
501 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
So if I’m understanding all this correctly. People don’t like the AG being add when on the ship. They definitely don’t a letter being left out their cabin. They don’t like the Highlighters shows or the sail aways My question is why do they cruise with P & O then. What do they like
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature