Thank you so much Angus Struthers....but...

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:01 PM.
3,047 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
I think we all thank Angus Struthers for the time he took answering our questions. Very nice, very polite- " Very Marketing" !
Where there really answers- no there were not- it all could have read out of the Queens Magazin or the Cunard Brochure- or answered using the search functin on the Cunard board. Thank you anyway!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
USA
202 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
We value your comments and know how important the Cunard brand is to our loyal passengers.

See... anyone can do Angus' job.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

FRANCE-RAFFAELLO-LEONARDO DA VINCI-STEFAN BATORY-QUEEN ELIZABETH 2-CANBERRA-UGANDA-GUGLIELMO MARCONI-EUROPA-CENTAUR-VISTAFJORD-BALTIKA-ORIANA-ACHILLE LAURO-OCEANIC-BRITANIS-AKDENIZ-ROTTERDAM-ST. HELENA-EUGENIO C.-BLACK PRINCE-BLACK WATCH-R7-PILGRIM BELLE-REGAL EMPRESS-VICTORIA-REGATTA-MAASDAM-CARONIA-QUEEN MARY 2-EURODAM-NIEUW AMSTERDAM-MARINA-RIVIERA-QUEEN ELIZABETH
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
7,526 Posts
Joined May 2000
I agree 100%. Disappointing how vague and lacking any substance the replies were. All very polite and very “marketing”, but nothing was actually learned or resolved. Complete fluff. Worse than some of our American politicians! Saying something but not actually saying anything. Lol. I do appreciate the time though, but unfortunately that’s the best thing I can say.
New Jersey
9,807 Posts
Joined May 2007
At least he varied the wording from one post to another, although they all pretty much the same thing. "Thank you for your comment/question. We'll think about it."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
22 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
11 QM2 - 7 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia, Canada
1 Caronia - Baltic
12 HAL -Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Alaska
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
At Sea
5,442 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Not sure why he bothered frankly (or was even invited).

He could have saved himself the time (and ours) by sending a standard Cunard press release along.

Oh, just realised, he did.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over Four Million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2.
222 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Why would anyone assume the "answers" were provided by Mr. Struthers personally, rather than by the same Marketing Department (or PR staff) who create all Cunard's other marketing materials?
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
7,526 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Neuhoftraveler
Why would anyone assume the "answers" were provided by Mr. Struthers personally, rather than by the same Marketing Department (or PR staff) who create all Cunard's other marketing materials?

I would assume the answers were provided by him because this entire "visit" to Cruise Critic specifically states that he would be here to answer questions. It's not like he is well known or anything, or too high up to answer questions on CC. If this wasn't the case, Cruise Critic could have simply stated "Cunard's Marketing Department" will be here to answer questions. Perhaps we would have received better answers if it was the lower ranking marketing employees, but honestly I don't think it makes any difference when dealing with Cunard.
San Francisco, CA
1,540 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by eroller
... If this wasn't the case, Cruise Critic could have simply stated "Cunard's Marketing Department" will be here to answer questions. Perhaps we would have received better answers if it was the lower ranking marketing employees, but honestly I don't think it makes any difference when dealing with Cunard.
Another illustration of the corporate culture of Cunard who evidently think that a "stiff upper lip" is best in all situations and that somehow anything but the most necessary communication is in some way unseemly.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
.Mark Katzenberger

Upcoming Queen Mary 2 - RT N Atlantic crossing - 2018, Queen Mary 2 - NY, Halifax, Boston - 2019, Golden Princess- Pacific Repo - 2019,
Eurodam - Pacific repo - 2018, Queen Mary 2 - RT crossing + Bruges - 2017, Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2016,
Celebrity Infinity
- S. America - 2015, Star Princess - Pacific repo - 2015, AMACello - Rhine - 2013,
Norwegian Spirit - W Caribbean - 2011, Crystal Serenity - E Med - 2010, Queen Mary 2 - Canada - 2009,
Eurodam - Baltics - 2009, Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2008, Queen Elizabeth 2 - W Med - 2008,
Amsterdam - Alaska - 2007, Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean - 2007, Voyager of the Seas - Bermuda - 2005,
Star Princess - Mexico - 2002, Carnival Spirit - Pacific repo - 2001, Norwegian Majesty - S Caribbean - 2001,
Rembrandt - Canada - 2000, Seabourn Sun - SF cruise to nowhere - 2000, Queen Elizabeth 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 1999,
Zenith - Bermuda - 1998, Queen Elizabeth 2 - Panama Canal - 1997, Celebrity Century - W Caribbean - 1996,
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 1993, Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific repo - 1993, Crown Princess - E Caribbean - 1991,
Westerdam - Mexico repo - 1990, Queen Elizabeth 2 - Hawaii - 1989, Cunard Princess - Pacific repo - 1987
108 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Q&A's are not to answer questions directly. They are useful to bring issues to the attention of the senior management.
I'll have a close look at the Shuffleboard situation on the Queens during the next year...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
There are two kinds of contemporary passenger vessels: The Queen Mary 2 and shoeboxes.
222 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by eroller
I would assume the answers were provided by him because this entire "visit" to Cruise Critic specifically states that he would be here to answer questions. It's not like he is well known or anything, or too high up to answer questions on CC. If this wasn't the case, Cruise Critic could have simply stated "Cunard's Marketing Department" will be here to answer questions. Perhaps we would have received better answers if it was the lower ranking marketing employees, but honestly I don't think it makes any difference when dealing with Cunard.
Eroller, evidently you have a lot of faith both in Cunard and in Cruise Critic. For myself, I'm skeptical.
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
7,526 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Neuhoftraveler
Eroller, evidently you have a lot of faith both in Cunard and in Cruise Critic. For myself, I'm skeptical.

Yes you’re probably right. Regardless of who answered the questions, one thing is for certain. They were lame.
New Jersey
9,807 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by pepperrn
Not sure why he bothered frankly (or was even invited).

He could have saved himself the time (and ours) by sending a standard Cunard press release along.

Oh, just realised, he did.
I haven't read any Q&As for other lines. Are they usually more responsive than Angus was? This one reminded me of the phone intercept that says "You are 96th in the queue. Please remain on the line as your call is very important to us."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
22 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
11 QM2 - 7 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia, Canada
1 Caronia - Baltic
12 HAL -Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Alaska
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
At Sea
5,442 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by 3rdGenCunarder
I haven't read any Q&As for other lines. Are they usually more responsive than Angus was? This one reminded me of the phone intercept that says "You are 96th in the queue. Please remain on the line as your call is very important to us."
To which my comment is "If it is very important to you, why aren't you answering?". Angus Struthers (if indeed it was he), managed to use many, many words to say absolutely nothing.

It maybe my mistaken impression, but I feel that other lines do get more informative answers. But I must check and have a closer look. Better to judge by members/passengers responses to the answers given by the representative of the line I'd guess, as a guide to whether the statements were informative, or merely empty marketing waffle (as with Mr Struthers).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over Four Million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2.
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
7,526 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by pepperrn
To which my comment is "If it is very important to you, why aren't you answering?". Angus Struthers (if indeed it was he), managed to use many, many words to say absolutely nothing.

I think these ambiguous fluffy answers left people more frustrated than before the Q&A. Worst of all I never got the feeling that I was actually heard. It's almost like a computer responded. Basically answering the same thing to every question but resolving absolutely nothing.

Having participated in these Q&A's before with other cruise lines, there is always some "marketing speak" but I've never seen it this bad. Other lines have been a bit more candid with their responses. Not hard to do in comparison to this.
USA
202 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Living all my life in a capital city, I have long found that the best questions always elicit the blandest "answers". Cruise Critic is as close to a buzz saw that any of these breezy marketing types probably come across so I suspect the intern tasked with replying to our queries was a bit overwhelmed. Like what is a "promenade deck like anyway?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

FRANCE-RAFFAELLO-LEONARDO DA VINCI-STEFAN BATORY-QUEEN ELIZABETH 2-CANBERRA-UGANDA-GUGLIELMO MARCONI-EUROPA-CENTAUR-VISTAFJORD-BALTIKA-ORIANA-ACHILLE LAURO-OCEANIC-BRITANIS-AKDENIZ-ROTTERDAM-ST. HELENA-EUGENIO C.-BLACK PRINCE-BLACK WATCH-R7-PILGRIM BELLE-REGAL EMPRESS-VICTORIA-REGATTA-MAASDAM-CARONIA-QUEEN MARY 2-EURODAM-NIEUW AMSTERDAM-MARINA-RIVIERA-QUEEN ELIZABETH
3,047 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
How did Shakespeare so aptly say: " Much Ado About Nothing" - that sums it up pretty well!
Oh we all could tell what prommenade deck really is and looks.
If the new ship would get one- I am sure he would have said so- in whatever words- and in how many!
So he either doesn´t know as of yet- or he knows pretty well- and wont say!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
7,526 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Germancruiser
If the new ship would get one- I am sure he would have said so- in whatever words- and in how many!

So he either doesn´t know as of yet- or he knows pretty well- and wont say!

Rest assured it won’t have one, not in the traditional sense. A narrow walkway behind lifeboats and a few patches with unobstructed views. That is the design trend and they won’t spend the $$ to make the new Cunard ship any different. Anyway it’s seen as a huge revenue enhancer during the lifetime of the ship. More balconies they can sell as unobstructed views.