Would an RCL, Carnival guy like Princess?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:53 PM.
Chicago
127 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
I cruised on Carnival and loved it until I tried Princess. It's more upscale all around from food to service to clientele. It's quieter with less of a party atmosphere. I would say the entertainment is a notch below Carnival. There are far fewer children on board Princess and the ships are more traditional and elegant. The ship quiets down earlier as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises
Celebrity Equinox - 8 Day Southern Caribbean - October 15, 2018
Crown Princess - 10 Day Southern Caribbean Medley - Mar 7, 2019

Previous Cruises
Celebrity Summit - 7 Day Southern Caribbean - January 6, 2018 REVIEW: Mainstream Cruising, Elevated
Ruby Princess - 7 Day Alaska Glacier Bay Inside Passage - June 10, 2017 REVIEW: Quiet Luxury
Carnival Vista - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - December 17, 2016 REVIEW: Best Time Ever on Carnival
Carnival Vista - 10 Day Mediterranean - May 24, 2016 REVIEW: Carnival Flagship: As Good as it Gets
Carnival Breeze - 8 Day Southern Caribbean - October 24, 2015 REVIEW: Breeze Was a Dream
Carnival Magic - 7 Day Western Caribbean - November 16, 2014 REVIEW: Surprisingly Luxurious
Carnival Ecstasy - 5 Day Western Caribbean - June 9, 2008
San Francisco
3,989 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by Cruzinbabe06
I did miss the lively sailaway. You won't be doing The Wobble or Cupid Shuffle on Princess.
Odd. I've done dozens of Princess sailaways and, except when there was rain, there's always been dancing on deck: the Wobble, the Cuban Shuffle, and of course the Electric Slide and Y-M-C-A. Wobble baby wobble baby wobble baby wobble...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1/06 Westerdam -W. Caribbean * 1/07 Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera * 1/08 Zuiderdam - E. Caribbean * 4/08 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska * 12/09 Crown Princess - W. Caribbean * 8/10 Sea Princess - Alaska * 1/11 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 4/11 Island Princess - Panama full transit * 8/11 Sea Princess - Alaska * 2/12 Grand Princess - E. Caribbean * 4/12 Coral Princess - Panama full transit * 12/12 Star Princess - SFO to Buenos Aires * 4/13 Golden Princess - Hawaii * 10/13 Royal Princess - Venice to FLL * 2/14 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 8/14 Star Princess - Alaska * 10/14 Victoria Anna - Yangtze River * 12/14 Coral Princess - Panama partial transit * 2/15 Star Princess - Sea of Cortez * 7/15 Diamond Princess - Japan * 11/15 Grand Princess - Hawaii * 9/16 Caribbean Princess - Southampton to New York * 1/17 Grand Princess - Mexican Riviera * 5/17 Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos * 9/17 Grand Princess - Alaska * 10/17 Royal Princess - Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale * 2/18 Coral Princess - Panama Canal full transit * 7/18 - Grand Circle Adagio - Grand European Cruise * 10/18 Grand Princess - Northwest Coastal * 11/18 Prinsendam - Amazon Explorer
Chico, California
11,008 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by shepp
Odd. I've done dozens of Princess sailaways and, except when there was rain, there's always been dancing on deck: the Wobble, the Cuban Shuffle, and of course the Electric Slide and Y-M-C-A. Wobble baby wobble baby wobble baby wobble...
OK. I gave in and did as search to find out what the heck The Wobble could be. Looks to me like one of what I call "robot dances". Line dancing looks to me like a bunch of robots all doing the same thing. Whether it's actually The Wobble or not I have definitely seen line dancing at sail away and they have classes during the cruise. While I have absolutely zero interest in participating there are many who seem to enjoy themselves greatly. I just had no idea there was one of those dances call The Wobble.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

New Mexico
406 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by shepp
At sailaway, they do play the Love Boat theme on the ship's horn - on the Royal and Regal.

Have been on many RCCL, Celebrity and Princess cruises - very much alike.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/2018 REGAL PRINCESS E. Caribbean
6/2017 RUBY PRINCESS Alaska - Glacier Bay
1/2017 LIBERTY OF THE SEAS W. Caribbean
8/2016 RUBY PRINCESS Alaska
10/2015 CARIBBEAN PRINCESS Quebec to Houston
3/2015 EMERALD PRINCESS W. Caribbean
8/2014 SOLSTICE Alaska
3/2014 NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS W. Caribbean
9/2013 SOLSTICE W. Coast Wine & America's Cup
4/2013 CENTURY Hawaii
11/2012 ECLIPSE Ultimate Caribbean
4/2012 CENTURY Hawaii
11/2011 MARINER OF THE SEAS W. Caribbean
3/2011 GOLDEN PRINCESS Hawaii
7/2010 MILLENNIUM Alaska Cruise and Land Tour
2/2010 VOYAGER OF THE SEAS W. Caribbean
9/2009 MILLENNIUM W. Coast Wine Cruise
3/2009 ZAANDAM Hawaii
8/2008 DAWN PRINCESS Mexican Riviera
11/2001 AMSTERDAM Panama Canal
1/2001 IMAGINATION Cozumel
6/2000 VOYAGER OF THE SEAS Carib
2/1999 SKY PRINCESS Australia-New Zealand
11/1997 HORIZON S. Caribbean
11/1996 COSTA ROMANTICA Caribbean
11/1995 ZENITH Caribbean
9/1990 ISLAND PRINCESS Mexican Riviera
8/1986 OCEAN ISLANDER (250 pax)Denmark-Norway

The drawback of a journey that is too well planned is that it doesn't leave enough room for adventure - Andre Gide[/font][/size][/font][/font]
Louisville, Kentucky
244 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
I appreciate all the comments. It is interesting that some think I’m a partier to like RCL and Carnival. I’m not. Sounds to me like I might enjoy Princess.
27 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Originally posted by Irie
I appreciate all the comments. It is interesting that some think I’m a partier to like RCL and Carnival. I’m not. Sounds to me like I might enjoy Princess.
I’m 29 my wife is 26 and we have booked princess. Everything I’ve read here is right up our alley. We like to have fun, but want to unwind and enjoy the sights and slightly more upscale, not be around a bunch of drunk partiers.
California
76 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
Originally posted by Micah's Grandad
Well there was a time on Princess that I was standing there minding my own business and DW got annoyed about something and threw a bucket of water on me and splashed me and a few others and next thing I knew won a contest.
Best laugh I’ve had all day.
Palm Springs, Calif
42,159 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
While we have sailed more on Royal then Princess, we have had wonderful cruises with Princess. We did feel Princess appeared more laid back then Royal but again I think it had more to do with a particular itinerary then anything else. Our 17 day Panama a few years back had something going on all the time while the 7 day coastal i did with friends in 2013 hardly anything happened. My only real complaint with Princess, is their standard balcony cabins are smaller because they include the balcony with the dimensions.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email: GLea472968 at aol dot com
Alternate : Lea dot [email protected] dot between the Lea&gaye

Emerald Roll Call https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvfqBeEKG865gS9gpwAxZ30RRIDl
& Allure Roll Call Sheets
265 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
We cruise on Princess because we like the on-board talks and discussions about the ports we are about to visit, the ocean and its wildlife, and the geographical and cultural aspects of the voyage. We like to learn something about the places we are visiting. We enjoy the laid-back relaxing atmosphere. On sea days, we like to sit quietly on our balcony and watch the ever-changing ocean and sky.

We don't need: a climbing wall, go-karts, water-park type slides into the swimming pool, high-decibel karaoke, high energy nightclub action at 2 A.M. with rap or trap music bands that can be heard in every stateroom, wet t-shirt contests or tequila chugging contests. If you need any of that to make your cruise a happy one, then it's best to stick with Carnival.

We fun activities like bingo, trivia, line dance classes, live music in the Piazza, as much as anyone else, but the atmosphere in general on Princess is more relaxed, educational, and sophisticated. In general, it appeals to a more mature demographic. Just my opinion. We're really happy on Princess because of the on-board discussions and presentations that help passengers learn about the ports they are visiting.
We're perfectly happy to let the party-all-night-long-and-throw-empty-beer-bottles-over-the-railing crowd sail on Carnival. To each his own.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Whistler, BC
512 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Just got off the emerald princess. Last cruises have been , Royal, NCL and Carnival. We really enjoyed it. It had great points and less desirable points. I would say if you are curious and have found a good itinerary and price go for it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Adventures
Sapphire Princess - 2001. Alaska
Disney Miracle - 2009. Pacific Coastal
Carnival Splendor - 2012. Mexican Riviera
Carnival Wonder - 2014. Alaska
Norwegian Getaway - 2015. Caribbean
Freedom of the Seas - 2017. Western Caribbean
Emerald Princess - 2018. Pacific Coastal
Crown Princess - 2018. Mediterranean
Norwegian Bliss -2019. Mexican Riviera
Virgina
4,589 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by misterkevin
I cruised on Carnival and loved it until I tried Princess. It's more upscale all around from food to service to clientele. It's quieter with less of a party atmosphere. I would say the entertainment is a notch below Carnival. There are far fewer children on board Princess and the ships are more traditional and elegant. The ship quiets down earlier as well.
This is the best answer to your question so far. Not only are the ships more traditional and elegant (far less likely to see people trying to do formal night in jeans) but the passengers are better mannered and well-behaved without being stuffy. The International Cafe and the beautiful lobbies are wonderful, and it is a very relaxing experience. It fits well for our family and was a great choice for Alaska.

Regardless of which line we are on, we enjoy evenings in a bar or listening to music, don't really care about the shows, but will attend if it is something new and will occasionally watch a movie. During the days we don't hang out of the lido deck (we love the huge Carib deck balconies on many of the ships) but rather our balcony or spend our time walking the track or the ship, perhaps playing some trivia, watching an ice carving, or sampling food or having tea. On Princess, on a sea day, they may very well have a true informational talk (not one of those cheesy where to shop talks Carnival does) on the next port, or offer a movie in a lounge or the theater. We don't partake of the deck parties or the dance club on either line. So, if you don't need those bells and whistles or the Funship parties and are just happy to be sailing, Princess could work for you.

We cruise Carnival because it gives us a lot of bang for our buck and is the leader in itinerary options close to home in the Caribbean; we tend to sail at Christmas and spring break with our kids and need 7 day or shorter itineraries that have ports in the US. As our children age, and as we get closer to retirement and the ability to take longer trips, Princess is definitely going to be our line of choice to see the world.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Royal Caribbean February 2000 (Eastern)
Carnival Valor March 2007 (Western)
Carnival Legend March 2008 (Western)
Carnival Fascination March 2009 (Key West/Nassau)
Carnival Glory August 2009 (Eastern)
Carnival Glory June 2010 (Canada)
Carnival Fascination December 2010 (Bahamas)
Carnival Legend March 2012 (Western)
Caribbean Princess March 2013 (Southern)
Carnival Victory January 2014 (Western)
Carnival Fantasy March 2014 (Eastern)
Grand Princess May 2014 (Alaska)
Carnival Sunshine February 2015 (Western)
Carnival Conquest December 2015 (Western)
Carnival Sunshine October 2016 (Canada)
Carnival Magic December 2016 (Eastern)
Carnival Sunshine October 2017 (Norfolk to Bahamas)
Carnival Triumph December 2017 (Yucatan)
Carnival Fascination March 2018 (Island hopper)
Palm Springs, Calif
42,159 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Let me add, I would look for an itinerary you like and pricing and go with what you feel you will enjoy. I do believe many have offered their views on what Princess offers so give them a try and decide for yourself. I will agree A&J family in that the Princess Ships are more elegant, and are beautiful ships. Royal has probably more outside activities with the flow riders, Bumper Cars etc, but believe Princess goes more with offering their passengers a more relaxed cruising experience. I do miss the talks. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email: GLea472968 at aol dot com
Alternate : Lea dot [email protected] dot between the Lea&gaye

Emerald Roll Call https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvfqBeEKG865gS9gpwAxZ30RRIDl
& Allure Roll Call Sheets
New Hampshire
6,091 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Have never been on Princess. Lots of Royal Caribbean and Carnival experience. Will I like Princess?
Pretty much what Shepp says is right. If you like relaxing, you'll enjoy(though the daily annoying announcements are getting more numerous)If you like Hairy chest parties/water slides/dumb pool side games/rock walls etc. then no, Princess(or Celebrity aren't your thing)
1,370 Posts
Joined Sep 2012

Almost impossible to answer this question unless you are willing to share what it is you like about the other 2 lines.

If someone told me they liked Carnival and RCL I would assume they like a more active onboard experience because both lines cater to that.

Princess IMO offers a more refined product, with generally better service, better MDR food, and more dining options throughout the day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival:
Miracle 2017 Mex Riviera, Conquest 2018 Eastern Caribbean

Celebrity:
Summit 2019 Southern Caribbean

DCL:
Wonder 2017 Caribbean

NCL:
Spirit 2010 Caribbean

Princess:
Ruby Princess 2017 Mex Riviera, Royal Princess 2016 Eastern Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Caribbean, Star Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2012 Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2010 Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2007 Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2006 Caribbean

RCCL:
Oasis 2018 Eastern Caribbean

Windstar:
Wind Surf 2000 Caribbean
Springfield, MO, USA
2,618 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
I appreciate all the comments. It is interesting that some think I’m a partier to like RCI and Carnival. I’m not. Sounds to me like I might enjoy Princess.
I find Princess and RCI to be more similiar than different.

I do prefer the food and more personalized service on Princess. It is a little more subdued, but that's nice sometimes. I do go back and forth a little bit once I get bored with one, it's nice to have a little different experience.

Both offer a great product, albeit a little different.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean:1/00 RCI Sovereign | 1/02, 4/06 RCI Majesty | 12/05 RCI Rhapsody | 2/07 RCI Grandeur | 11/10 RCI Monarch | 2/12 RCI Liberty | 11/12 RCI Mariner | 1/14 RCI Allure| 8/15 RCI Serenade (Norwegian Fjords)
NCL:1/01 NCL Sea | 8/01 NCL SS Norway | 1/09, 2/14 NCL Sky
Princess: 8/11 Diamond Princess-(Alaska)| 7/12 Sapphire Princess-(Alaska) | 7/14 Island Princess (Alaska) | 2/15 Emerald Princess | 2/16 Caribbean Princess | 5/17 Majestic Princess (W. Mediterranean) | 8/18 Star Princess (Alaska) | 4/19 Royal Princess (M. Riviera)
Carnival: 1/91 Carnival Fantasy
New York, USA
2,257 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by misterkevin
I would agree with this the most, but a Carnival LIVE sailing gives them points in the entertainment department in my opinion. With that said I love both lines for the different experiences they give and I have fantastic memories with both as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Brandon
Carnival VIFP Club: Red
Princess Cruises Captain Circle: Ruby

Completed Cruises:
Carnival Triumph - August 29, 2009 - Canada/New England ~ First Cruise!
Caribbean Princess - August 28, 2010 - Canada/New England ~ Hurricane Earl cancels Halifax
Caribbean Princess - May 1, 2011 - Caribbean Reposition to New York
Golden Princess - July 7, 2012 - Alaska Inside Passage w/Glacier Bay - Review
Regal Princess - March 15, 2015 - Eastern Caribbean ~ Maiden Caribbean Season
Carnival Sunshine - October 1, 2016 - Bermuda ~ First Family Cruise - Review
Carnival Victory - November 17, 2017 - Bahamas ~ Carnival LIVE Concert Series featuring Nick Jonas! - Review
Future Cruises:
Carnival Horizon - July 19, 2018 - Bermuda ~ Carnival Horizon's Inaugural Year

Royal Princess - January 19, 2019 - Western Caribbean

Booking Soon:
Carnival Triumph - July 2, 2019 - Eastern Caribbean ~ My first ship 10 years later
La Mirada, CA
1,142 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
We are 58. We agree the food is better on Princess. The comedy better on Carnival. The singers and dancers better on Princess. The steak house better on Carnival. We got bored on Princess easily. They had a lot of spa talks and nothing really appealing to us. Our 12 day Alaska on Princess they said the average age was 72 on board. No one was out and about walking or doing anything. They were all inside and there was not a lot of inside places to sit. The Alaska ports were great and that's what we went for. (and the fact our friends got married on board)
It was not a bad cruise though. I would go again. It was our 2nd Princess cruise. The 1st one was the Coastal cruise and that I would say the average age was 80.

That being said....Disney is still our favorite (and we have no small kids) Best service, restaurants, entertainment, food and last we went they allowed alcohol to be brought on board.

I think you may like Princess though. It is relaxing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Disney Magic 6/11/05 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Pride 2/12/06 Mexican Riviera
Disney Magic 5/5/07 Western Carribean
RCL Vision of the Seas 11/9/08 Mexican Riviera
Disney Wonder 2/6/11 Mexican Riviera
Sapphire Princess 5/5/12 Coastal Cruise
Carnival Miracle 2/8/14 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Imagination 4/2015
Carnival Miracle 4/2016
Emerald Princess 4/27/2018