[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:42 AM.
Clearwater, FL
164 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Hi all,

We were pleasantly surprised to receive an upsell offer yesterday to move us from our obstructed OV to a Window Suite on our cruise next week. When I saw Window Suite, I called immediately, as I really wasn't interested in a balcony (probably be too cold to really enjoy one in Alaska). The price couldn't be beat either.

Question, for those in the know, my husband and I aren't big on alcohol. My husband just doesn't drink and I may drink 1 or 2 drinks the entire week on the cruise. So, I've seen where you can swap out the alcohol in your complementary minibar setup for soft drinks and possibly coffee cards. I would definitely want 1 coffee card but my husband would rather have the soft drinks. Can we ask for one coffee card and soft drinks, in place of the alcohol?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Caribbean Princess (Western Caribbean) coming up - May '05
Carinval Inspiration (Western Caribbean) coming soon - Nov '04
Golden Princess (Eastern Caribbean) Dec '03
Grand Princess (Western Caribbean) May '03
Oakland, CA USA
2,313 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
You can definitely swap out for soft drinks, but I'm not sure about the coffee card. We tried to swap out our booze form wine and there were severe limitations making it not a good swap. Maybe another PAX has swapped for coffee??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard: 109 Days
Seabourn: 68 Days
Azamara: 64 Days
HAL: 59 Days
Crystal: 38 Days
Princess: 28 Days
Oceania: 14 Days
Celebrity: 14 Days
RCL: 7 Days
Commodore: 7 Days
Carnival: 3 Days
Goodtime II: 1 Day
Florida
287 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
You can swap the entire mini bar for two coffee cards OR the entire mini bar for a variety of sodas. You can't do one coffee card and some soda. We don't drink much alcohol so we always swap for the two coffee cards.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Princess:
Star - Alaska 6/2009, S. Carib. 4/2011; Alaska 7/2015; Alaska 6/2017; Alaska 6/2018

Island - P. Canal 3/2010; Alaska 6/2010; Carib. 10/2014

Crown - W. Carib. 12/2010; S. Carib. 3/2012; E. Carib. 12/2017

Grand -S. Carib. 12/2011
Ruby -E. Caribbean 2/2012,
12/2013, 1/2014
Caribbean - S. Carib. 12/2012; Carib.3/2014, 12/4/2014,
12/30/2014, S. Carib. 11/19/2016, W. Carib. 2/19/2017
Sapphire - Alaska 6/2013
Royal - Eastern Carib 11/2013 and
2/2014; booked E. Carib. 12/2018
Coral - Alaska 7/2014; booked S.America/Antarctica 12/2019
Regal - Eastern Carib 11/2014 and 2/2015, 3/2016, E. Carib. 2/2018
Emerald - Carib. 11/2015

Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas - Oct. 2014
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas - Nov. 2017
NCL Sky - July 2015
Carnival Conquest - 8/2016

Carnival Fantasy- 10/2016

Los Angeles Ca.
5,949 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by erber
You can swap the entire mini bar for two coffee cards OR the entire mini bar for a variety of sodas. You can't do one coffee card and some soda. We don't drink much alcohol so we always swap for the two coffee cards.
That is correct no half and half's
14,289 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Correct--you can't split the deal. You can trade for all soft drinks (of any type carried on board) or trade for 2 coffee cards. No half and half trades. Of course, you can trade for two coffee cards and bring along some soft drinks. You can also purchase soft drinks on board--6 cans for $10.
Clearwater, FL
164 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Thank you all for your replies. Probably just drink the alcohol myself, since I certainly won't use 2 coffee cards. Hubby doesn't like coffee either!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
14,289 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by juliethecruiser
Thank you all for your replies. Probably just drink the alcohol myself, since I certainly won't use 2 coffee cards. Hubby doesn't like coffee either!
Obviously your decision...but coffee cards are good for more than coffee (I don't drink coffee either). Coffee cards will get you unlimited brewed coffee, premium tea, and hot chocolate (might be good in Alaska!). They will also each get you 15 punches of fancy coffees or teas--think Starbucks. I'm an ice tea person, and find the specialty teas to be good.

If he wants soft drinks, you can trade as much as you want, one for one. You can keep 3 alcohols and trade the rest for soft drinks.
Clearwater, FL
164 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by moki'smommy
Obviously your decision...but coffee cards are good for more than coffee (I don't drink coffee either). Coffee cards will get you unlimited brewed coffee, premium tea, and hot chocolate (might be good in Alaska!). They will also each get you 15 punches of fancy coffees or teas--think Starbucks. I'm an ice tea person, and find the specialty teas to be good.

If he wants soft drinks, you can trade as much as you want, one for one. You can keep 3 alcohols and trade the rest for soft drinks.
Thank you for the suggestions. We're both big ice tea drinkers as well, so it will work out pretty good and hubby does enjoy his hot cocoa too!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chico, California
11,816 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Also remember that you can take any unopened mini bottles home with you. Just put them in your checked luggage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

california
1,804 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Thank you for the suggestions. We're both big ice tea drinkers as well, so it will work out pretty good and hubby does enjoy his hot cocoa too!
Ask them to make you a premium tea and then have them ice it. Also if you like the teas from the IC better than the standard MDR tea, stop by and just ask for a teabag before dinner. In the MDR simply get some hot water and brew your own, my DW does it all the time.
Lihue HI & Calimesa CA
6,509 Posts
Joined May 2013
Another suggestion
Trade for the sodas and buy a coffee card. The coffee cards only cost ~$33.
Or as someone suggested, bring your own preferred brand of soda (selection is limited on the ship) and keep the booze plus buy a coffee card.

BTW: what was a "can't be beat" price for an upsell to a suite?
Clearwater, FL
164 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by JF - retired RRT
Another suggestion
Trade for the sodas and buy a coffee card. The coffee cards only cost ~$33.
Or as someone suggested, bring your own preferred brand of soda (selection is limited on the ship) and keep the booze plus buy a coffee card.

BTW: what was a "can't be beat" price for an upsell to a suite?
We were offered it for $249 pp for the 7 days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
6,467 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Hi all,

We were pleasantly surprised to receive an upsell offer yesterday to move us from our obstructed OV to a Window Suite on our cruise next week. When I saw Window Suite, I called immediately, as I really wasn't interested in a balcony (probably be too cold to really enjoy one in Alaska).
The last time we were in alaska, it rained nearly constantly for the entire 7-day cruise.

Having a covered balcony was great.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App