Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:42 PM.
Batehaven, Australia
11,541 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Recently on Royal Princess, they had 2 formal nights and the rest smart casual, except for one night labelled in Princess Patters as... 'Dress to Impress.' Our Head Waiter said they were trying this out, could take the place of formal nights in future. BTW, dress codes were not enforced in the MDR on Sapphire and Royal which we were on in the past month or two. Princess have given up.

Anyone recently come across this 'Dress to Impress on other Princess ships?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 480 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Baltics, Scandinavia, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last trifecta of cruises:
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

Next Cruise: Nil booked.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Chelsea MA
5,236 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Originally posted by JF - retired RRT
That will make a LOT of people happy.
And then ...
Not me!!!
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
League City, TX
41,845 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Princess has had "dress to impress" nights instead of formal evenings on short cruises.

From one web site in 2016
In smaller/shorter Princess Cruise journeys they have ‘Dress to Impress’ nights, where they require more of smart casual outfits (think slacks/pants with open-neck shirts for men, dresses or dressy pants and blouses for ladies), especially in the dining and recreation areas.
Central Texas
5,777 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by caribill
Princess has had "dress to impress" nights instead of formal evenings on short cruises.

From one web site in 2016
In smaller/shorter Princess Cruise journeys they have ‘Dress to Impress’ nights, where they require more of smart casual outfits (think slacks/pants with open-neck shirts for men, dresses or dressy pants and blouses for ladies), especially in the dining and recreation areas.
Nice to have a try for this on non-formal nights.

However it won't be long until someone says "my jeans and NASCAR T-Shirt are impressive".
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next - Have FCC, will travel.
30 Cruises:..Caribbean (19x), Panama (3x), Mediterranean (2x), So. America, Transatlantic (2x), Europe, Alaska, Tahiti-Hawaii
Ships:...Grand Princess (6x), Caribbean Princess (6x), Emerald Princess (5x), Sun Princess (3x), Crown Princess (2x), Royal Princess (2x), Island Princess, Liberty of the Seas, Pacific Princess II, Ryndam (HAL), Sea Princess, Star Princess
uk
7,326 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by NSWP
Recently on Royal Princess, they had 2 formal nights and the rest smart casual, except for one night labelled in Princess Patters as... 'Dress to Impress.' Our Head Waiter said they were trying this out, could take the place of formal nights in future. BTW, dress codes were not enforced in the MDR on Sapphire and Royal which we were on in the past month or two. Princess have given up.

Sounds very similar to ‘Chic Nights’ on Celebrity.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Grand Princess - Alaska - August 2018
Eclipse - Southern Caribbean - December 2017
Reflection - Western Med - July 2017
Millennium - Hong Kong to Singapore - December 2016
Constellation - Venice to Rome - August 2016
Equinox - Istanbul to Barcelona - August 2015
Equinox - Ultimate Caribbean & Panama - April 2015
Independence - Northern Europe - Oct 2014
Infinity - Iceland & The Faroes - July 2014
Independence - Caribbean - April 2014
Silhouette - Eastern Caribbean - B2B - April 2014
Enchantment - Bahamas. - Aug 2013
Oasis - Western Caribbean - Aug 2013
Solstice - Oz & NZ - Dec 2012
Navigator - Eastern Med - Aug 2012
Brilliance - Norway - Jun 2012
Navigator - Eastern Med - Oct 2011
Caribbean Princess - New England - Aug 2011
Liberty - Med B2B - April 2011
Liberty - Med Western - April 2011
Constellation - Baltics - Aug 2010
Splendour - Med to Venice - April 2010
Radiance - Alaska - Aug 2009
Brilliance - Canaries & Morocco - April 2009
Navigator - Med - May 2008
Brilliance - Venice Med - Aug 2007
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,828 Posts
Joined Nov 2015

It nice to hear that they're at least trying to keep up with the other cruise lines.
Even if they do replace one of the formal nights with Dress to Impress it shouldn't deter anyone from dressing a formal as they please and satisfies everyone's desires.

The only time I've ever seen it was on a 4 day cruise where hardly anyone paid much attention to it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
Kentucky
247 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by Cruiser1862
Just my opinion, but one formal night would probably be enough for a 7 day cruise for most people these days.
And given luggage constraints when flying, I welcome any opportunity to reduce packing something that I’d wear once during a cruise. I think more and more people are trying to pack items which can be worn more than once and accessorized for a different look. More “country club casual” than “dress to impress”.
Richmond, Virginia
2,869 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Nothing in this prevents anyone from dressing as they would like. Want to wear a tux or evening gown then do it. Do not then don't. I have no one to impress except for DW and myself.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lifetime member of the Goat Locker
14,691 Posts
Joined May 2005

In fall of 2013, when Princess started 3/4 day cruises on the west coast...they eliminated formal night and this term was/is used.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
L RI
2018 cruises completed Alaska Ruby..... May. Pacific Coastal Ruby...Mar.-Apr.
2017 cruises completed MR Emerald... Nov.-Dec. Scandinavian. Crown... Aug-Sept.... South East Asia...Majestic..June-July... Caribbean...Anthem..Mar.- April ...South America... Crown.. Jan.-Feb
Still favor land trips best, but as I log more sea and river days on ships and hours on CC , I might become a "Cruise Lover" sooner than I think or am I already?
1983 1ST Ocean Liner Cruise Caribbean, Carnivale
2006 River Cruise China, Viking Century
My avatar is of a Marine Iguana the most amazing reptile ever, indigenous to the Galapagos......swam with his friends in the Galapagos islands, while traveling on X's Xpedition in 2009 & 2010.....take time to enjoy experiences with nature and it's underwater wonders.

North Coastal San Diego county
8,628 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
When we started to cruse in the early 90s the dining rooms were filled with dressed to the nines on formal nights . However ,over time & changes in social behavior & economic reasons people have trended toward more relaxed style clothing

We have adapted easily . Now I only bring a sport jacket . for our Hawaii cruse I have my white on white Hawaii shirt & Hawaii beads around my neck for what is the formal nights .It is unlikely that I will even pack my sport jacket .Times do change
Pennsylvania
163 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by Cruiser1862
Just my opinion, but one formal night would probably be enough for a 7 day cruise for most people these days.

Would tend to agree with you on this...although we enjoy dressing up for formal nights..we usually do a 10 day cruise so 2 nights out of 10 is good...1 night out of 7 sounds good...and perhaps that would be a compromise for those who do not like to dress up while still maintaining a true formal night for those that do.
14,691 Posts
Joined May 2005
If they go down to 1 night...then I would not bother to bring any formal wear. For DH, it has been Tux or black long sleeve button down, no tie...nothing in the middle.

Since most of the captains parties are becoming more smart casual, I see not reason to bring formal wear.
And 10 years ago we purchased tuxes for the 4 males in our family as this Mom loves guys in Tux...but times change....
San Antonio spaceship earth
8,340 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
From the OP's post it sounds like Princess is finally looking at joining their competitors and backing off the "formal night" attire which as we all know is more and more ignored. There are those on here who want it enforced like the old days but pax are voting with their feet on the issue and Princess is finally taking notice. When you get to the bottom line it is all about money and Princess must stay competitive not only in fares charged but other rules like dress codes as well. I for one will not shed any tears when the current dress code is brought more into line with the other cruise lines they compete with.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCCL: Rhapsody, 2003; Voyageur, 2008, 2009; Adventure, 2008; Navigator 2013; Mariner 2010, 2011
Holland America: Veendam, 2006
Princess: Caribbean 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018; Crown 2013, 2017; Emerald 2012, 2015, 2018; Golden 2012, 2014, 2015; Grand 2005, 2006; Island 2011, 2013; Regal 2016; Royal 2014; Ruby 2010, 2017, 2020; Sapphire 2019; Star 2014, 2019
Carnival: Elation 2005; Magic 2012, 2015; Breeze 2017, 2018; Vista 2019

castigat ridendo mores
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts - Mark Twain
Kamloops BC
195 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
As a relatively new cruiser, I’m sad to see formal nights going by the wayside...I loved seeing everyone all dressed and fancy, and figuring out what we would wear
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCL Oasis Jan 2014, RCL Freedom Aug 2014, DCL Fantasy May 2015, HAL Volendam Aug 2017
Upcoming: Emerald Princess Oct Van-LA
1,919 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by satxdiver
From the OP's post it sounds like Princess is finally looking at joining their competitors and backing off the "formal night" attire which as we all know is more and more ignored. There are those on here who want it enforced like the old days but pax are voting with their feet on the issue and Princess is finally taking notice. When you get to the bottom line it is all about money and Princess must stay competitive not only in fares charged but other rules like dress codes as well. I for one will not shed any tears when the current dress code is brought more into line with the other cruise lines they compete with.

I’m with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
93 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
I saw the same term, “Dress to Impress”, used on our last cruise with RCI. It was on a 6 night cruise which normally wouldn’t have a formal night, but still had a night for all the photographers to flog their wares. The menu was a cut above, and it was really more of a formal night without the formal. A lot of people did make extra effort, but there were very few tuxes. Sports jackets and business suits were not rare, though.

I think formal nights were doomed when airlines started charging for baggage. We examine the dress code for whichever line we are sailing on and make certain we can dress accordingly, but I no longer take the tux if a sports jacket is permitted. Taking an extra bag now means paying for it.

In some ways, I’m sad to see them change. There are plenty of lines where one never has to bother, but the numbers of people dressing up always made it feel a little more special. There was a nice energy to all the entertainment that is just not there on more casual nights.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michael

Star Princess 10/20/2018

Empress of the Seas 4/28/2018
Carnival Pride 10/15/2017
Emerald Princess 6/11/2017
Carnival Conquest 9/3/2016
Royal Princess 10/11/2015
Explorer of the Seas 10/23/2014
Eurodam 10/27/2013
NCL Sun 10/24/2012