What exactly is Pol Acker?

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:56 AM.
391 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
I have seen it mentioned many times on this board as something like a sparkling grape juice mixed with mouth wash. Is it alcoholic? A champagne knock off? Thanks, just want to know what to expect!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~ Nina ~
Ambiance Travel

"Hopelessly lost when not planning a cruise."

Yet to sail
QM2 - 1 July 2009 - "4th of July"
QM2 - Christmas 2009 - Caribbean
QE - Inaugural Oct. 12, 2010 - Canary Islands

Completed
QM2 - 7 Aug 2008 - Eastbound -Read the blog
Queen Victoria - Dec. 9-11th, 2007 - Naming Ceremony - Read the blog
NCL Wind - Jan. 2006 - Hawaii
Celebrity Century - Feb. 2005- Eastern Caribbean
RCCL Majesty - Dec. 2004-Bahamas
RCCL Enchantment - Sept. 2004 - Labadee
Germany
1,950 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
It is a French non-vintage sparkling wine with a production of 10,000 cases per year.
It is Cunard's standard welcome bottle and served at receptions, often under the misleading title "champagne".
About its taste you probably have read enough.
New York
626 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by AmbianceTraveler
I have seen it mentioned many times on this board as something like a sparkling grape juice mixed with mouth wash. Is it alcoholic? A champagne knock off? Thanks, just want to know what to expect!
Go to the hardware store and buy a 3 foot rubber hose. Go to your car and remove the gas cap. If you are smoking hold the cigarette off to the side. Don't put it out. Put one end of the hose down into your gas tank.
Put your mouth on the other end and draw the gasoline up into your mouth. Swill it around for several seconds. Now you are at a crossroad in your life. Do you swallow, spit the gas out or just end it all with the cigarette?

Paul
York, UK
5,448 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by carlmm
It is a French non-vintage sparkling wine
That "sparkling" effect is done through carbonation, not the traditional method
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Malcolm
Rural Leicestershire, UK
5,671 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by AmbianceTraveler
Pol Acker is to champagne what Carnival is to cruises.

Matthew
3,664 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Vile mouthwash....mind you I merely took one sip ( I don't drink) before we dumped it down the sink! I'm guessing yoiuve realized its not something worth looking forward to!!

Cheers, Penny
Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....
Troon, Scotland
982 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
It is not to be taken internally

David
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Sapphire
Cunard Gold
Princess Platinum
York, UK
5,448 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by dak
It is not to be taken internally
David - you'd risk severe chemical burns it you tried it externally
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Malcolm
New York
626 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by patwell
we dumped it down the sink!
It probably has some form of cleansing properties, such as Drano.

Paul
Isle of Man
378 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by Piton1
Go to the hardware store and buy a 3 foot rubber hose. Go to your car and remove the gas cap. If you are smoking hold the cigarette off to the side. Don't put it out. Put one end of the hose down into your gas tank.
Put your mouth on the other end and draw the gasoline up into your mouth. Swill it around for several seconds. Now you are at a crossroad in your life. Do you swallow, spit the gas out or just end it all with the cigarette?

Paul
OMG That was so funny

[IMG]http://content.************/sim/cpie/emoticons/00020148.gif[/IMG]
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

FRED OLSEN Black Watch (Amazon) Nov 2000
FRED OLSEN Black Watch (Med) Apr 2001
FRED OLSEN Braemar (Baltic) Sept 2001
RCC Radiance (Panama) Apr 2004
CELEBRITY Millenium (Med) Oct 2004
P & O Adonia (Repositioning) Mar 2005
NCL Dawn (Carib) Nov 2005
P & O Arcadia (Transatlantic) Nov 2006
NCL Dream Chillean Fjords Nov 2007
P & O Arcadia (Med) 20 Dec 2008
P & O Ventura (Med) 17 Apr 2009
P & O Azura Maiden Voyage (Med) 12 Apr 2010

Westchester, New York
3,265 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by juliecat
There's a photo of an open bottle with poured glasses on the QM2/Halifax page:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=622207

Can't tell if they actually tasted it

Julia
Yes, we tasted it. But we didn't smoke whilst we drank the stuff, which is why we're still here to tell the tale?
Delaware Valley PA
229 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
It should be mentioned that in the interest of transatlantic clarity, that the UK is the world's largest importer of Champagne with over 30 million bottles consumed a year. Here in the USA, just about any wine with bubbles can be successfully passed off as Champagne. The per capita consumption is less than a tenth of the British. Unfortunately, if Americans are given Pol Acker by Cunard and possibly other Carnival brands, consumption is likely to remain low and stay that way.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard Diamond
4,575 Posts
Joined Mar 2000
Originally posted by DaddyWarbucks
It should be mentioned that in the interest of transatlantic clarity, that the UK is the world's largest importer of Champagne with over 30 million bottles consumed a year. Here in the USA, just about any wine with bubbles can be successfully passed off as Champagne. The per capita consumption is less than a tenth of the British. Unfortunately, if Americans are given Pol Acker by Cunard and possibly other Carnival brands, consumption is likely to remain low and stay that way.

Well, it is not served on Carnival, nor Holland America.. nor of course Seabourn..nor even Princess.

Belongs solely to Cunard.

Say what you will about Carnival, but when I was invited to the the Carnival Freedom's inaugural.. and asked for champagne.. they poured Moet. Loved that inaugural!!
391 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by Piton1

Paul
ROFL!! Funniest thing I have heard all evening! Can I use it like Nair in the bath? None of my friends will know what it is so I can come home not having had to shave for a week and tell them I bathed in "Champagne" on Cunard. (Once they sail themselves they will find out why!)

Serious now, don't drink the Pol Acker...got it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~ Nina ~
Ambiance Travel

"Hopelessly lost when not planning a cruise."

Yet to sail
QM2 - 1 July 2009 - "4th of July"
QM2 - Christmas 2009 - Caribbean
QE - Inaugural Oct. 12, 2010 - Canary Islands

Completed
QM2 - 7 Aug 2008 - Eastbound -Read the blog
Queen Victoria - Dec. 9-11th, 2007 - Naming Ceremony - Read the blog
NCL Wind - Jan. 2006 - Hawaii
Celebrity Century - Feb. 2005- Eastern Caribbean
RCCL Majesty - Dec. 2004-Bahamas
RCCL Enchantment - Sept. 2004 - Labadee
Colchester, CT USA
5,364 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by NomDePlume
If it's any good for cleaning spark plugs and such, we can collect them for Karie to use on her plane's engine?
Why how kind of you! I left the winter formulated gasoline (with MBTE in it) and it melted the float in my carburettor!

Ambiance, I wasn't hiking about Nair, but yes, I blieve it would work. I was thinking more like paint remover.

Karie,
wine aficionado extraordinaire!
107 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by Kindlychap
Pol Acker is to champagne what Carnival is to cruises.

Matthew
There is a lot worse than a Carnival cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Uncle Pete