Camera for Alaska

Are you looking for a camera to compliment the L100 or replace it?

What does the L100 not do now that you would want from a camera on an Alaskan trip?

They're the crucial questions along with your budget.

Weathershielded is the recent Panasonic FZ300 (FZ330). Very fast focus a good Leica zoomlens (25-600mm, F2.8 all the way). It's a versatile and good alround bridge. It has a 4K video mode, where each frame can be extracted as an 8MP pictures. It has a good auto modes if you don't want to hassle with all kind of settings.

Great all in one camera, it replaced the Panasonic FZ200, which has been one pf the most popular cameras on this web site.

Tom :cool:

I'm thinking I need more zoom capability going to Alaska. My camera is very out dated optical and megapixal.

Looking at the Coolpix P900 it's a little bigger than I expected but it has 83X zoom very impressive.

I'm not a photographer by any means. But i'd love to take some nice pics while I'm on vacation.

I figure I'll need to spend 500 or 600 to get a nice camera.

I will check out the two suggestions. thanks.

Charlie

• 1 month later...

Pre-ordered the B700 Nikon. It's due out in July. It offers raw image, and stability, from the list of what it does and has, it seemed a better choice than the P900 Nikon. I just wish it was coming out sooner.

I'm thinking I need more zoom capability going to Alaska. My camera is very out dated optical and megapixal. Looking at the Coolpix P900 it's a little bigger than I expected but it has 83X zoom very impressive. I'm not a photographer by any means. But i'd love to take some nice pics while I'm on vacation. I figure I'll need to spend 500 or 600 to get a nice camera. I will check out the two suggestions. thanks.

You only want optical zoom, yet "too much" optical zoom (relative to the price point) may result in hazy/distorted/not-crisp pictures, so be cautious of how far you really go with that. Megapixels DO NOT MATTER, unless you're doing either of two things: making large prints (bigger than 16x24) or doing a lot of cropping after the fact. I have a 20x30 print next to me shot with a 10mp camera that I love.

Go try a bunch of cameras at Best Buy, Frys, wherever. See if you like the interface and the menus. Confirm your budget. I suspect that nearly everything in your target budget comes out to about the same exact specs; manufacturers have figured out exactly what people will and won't pay for, and they compete on that very aggressively. You can get a "nice" camera for $300, you can get a "nice" camera for $500, and you can spend $23,000 for one DSLR plus three great lenses for Alaska. :)