Anyone ever get left behind in port?

gkrnjlr

I have no idea if someone in that situation should carry those items or not. I would not go into another country without a passport. What mistakes people without passports make, after making the initial mistake of not having a passport, isn't my concern.

Funny comment.....simply put, you CANNOT "get into another country without a passport"......the Caribbean islands are a different story!!

I have no idea if someone in that situation should carry those items or not. I would not go into another country without a passport. What mistakes people without passports make, after making the initial mistake of not having a passport, isn't my concern.

Funny comment.....simply put, you CANNOT "go into another country without a passport"........the Caribbean islands being a different story!!

We have taken both Carnival and private excursions and always have in the back of our heads, what if we don't get back in time. I wonder if Carnival would leave if they had a large number of people on a non Carnival excursion that didnt get back. We were in Grand Cayman last year, can't remember what the other ship was but it was to leave an hour before we were to depart. There were people on our excursion from that ship, we were late getting to our Carnival excursion and the excursion operators stayed for the full length of the excursion making people that were on the other ship very late. There were people standing there when we finally got back getting everyone from the other ship to a special line to hurry them to a waiting tender to get the to their ship. After seeing that happen it makes us even more leary about taking non Carnival excurions, if it hadn't been, all those people could have been left behind.

On my first Alaskan cruise, we were delayed by more than an hour in getting back to the ship. What happened is that we were on the White Pass train that got delayed by a train in front of us. It got stuck in the snow!! Our train was needed to pull it out. Since there were many, but not all, passengers on the train that booked the excursion through Carnival, the ship waited for our return. Many people were running for the ship, but there was no need. That ship was definitely not going to leave without us. The cruise director was on the same train as us. :D So we were chatting with the CD on our way back to the ship!

Those passengers who did not book through Carnival got very lucky. Otherwise, there probably would have been upwards of 50 or 60 people left behind....

Carnival has no such requirement for US citizens (and traveling from one Hawaiian island to another would not require a passport for a US citizen).

No not for Hawaii as it is part of the US, but as I stated outside the US if this happened on a cruise you would need one to get to next port. My point is you can be left behind when on a Carnival excursion.

Keep your passport on the ship in your safe. If you miss the ship the security folks will open your safe and give your passport to the port agent. The important thing to remember is to write down who the port agent is and their phone number (listed in the Fun Times).

No not for Hawaii as it is part of the US, but as I stated outside the US if this happened on a cruise you would need one to get to next port. My point is you can be left behind when on a Carnival excursion.

I misread your post and thought you were saying that CCL required a passport and i apologize for that. I think it is rare for any cruise line to leave excursion pax behind and I know that I wasn't overly concerned about it when we used BCs.

I misread your post and thought you were saying that CCL required a passport and i apologize for that. I think it is rare for any cruise line to leave excursion pax behind and I know that I wasn't overly concerned about it when we used BCs.

No problem, it happens sometimes. I can understand people using a birth certificate because they only take Carnival excursions thinking they could never have a possibility for needing a passport. While I'm sure it is rare, it is possible to be left behind. I just wanted people to be aware of the slight possibility and if for some that may be enough of a reason to go ahead and get the passport just in case. I know once I heard the story from my friend I went and got one.

Hub wears pick-pocket-proof-pants when we go ashore - it has zippered pockets with zippered pockets inside with zippered pockets inside . . . . etc. secret pockets, waterproof pockets, pockets leading to the fourth dimension and an alternative universe! No, seriously, the pants are great, and even at that we don't keep passports with money, etc. in case of worst scenario. Just be smart about it, don't be foolish and incapacitate yourself at Senior Frog's - that's just asking for it.

Hub wears pick-pocket-proof-pants when we go ashore - it has zippered pockets with zippered pockets inside with zippered pockets inside . . . . etc. secret pockets, waterproof pockets, pockets leading to the fourth dimension and an alternative universe! No, seriously, the pants are great, and even at that we don't keep passports with money, etc. in case of worst scenario. Just be smart about it, don't be foolish and incapacitate yourself at Senior Frog's - that's just asking for it.

And when hubby has opened the 4th zip - he finds a wee Russian Babushka female clutching an empty wallet and a bag of new shoes ... :D:D

Once on cruise a few years ago we were docked at St Thomas and were not due to leave port for about an hour. Me and DH returned early and were relaxing on our balcony which faced town. The ship docked in front of us was leaving and captain backed our ship up to give them more room to pull out of port. It was very entertaining to watch people in town begin to run, wave arms and scream for us to wait. When all we were doing is moving backward giving other ship room to pull out of port. If it was me in town I would be freaking out also.

There is a guy that stayed behind since he thought his son was still at the port. He fully explains what happened and how he had to get back. I am having trouble finding his post, but will post when I find it. It was very informative.

One thing I have read multiple times, is don't take your passport on shore. They will get your passport from your room and leave with the port officer if you are left behind.

Here is the link. Imho A must read http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2121215

Indeed sobering

I keep a copy of my passport in my bag

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Was on a Princess Cruise which is owned by Carnival Corp.

Last month the ship was late leaving. Then about 20 mins after the time we were to leave FOUR yes 4 buses showed up from a large excursion.

Everyone took their time getting on board. It was a Cruise line book exclusion so there was no way they were leaving with out them as per their policy they (Carnival Corp) would of had to pay to get them to the next port.

My opinion, so take it for what it's worth:

I don't enter a foreign country without my passport. It's just ingrained in me and I don't feel comfortable without it. I manage to get through my normal every day life without my driver's license being stolen or lost, and I imagine I can do the same with my passport in a foreign port. That's just me. A photo-copy kind of defeats the purpose.

Most people that miss the ship aren't on an independent excursion. They are either drunk or on their own and lose track of time. Carnival gives you that emergency number for a reason. The ship waiting has a lot less to do with the brand of excursion you are on and a lot more to do with them a) knowing where you are and b) the amount of time they can wait at the port. If there are 10 people on a private excursion and they call to let them know they had a flat and will be late, the ship is going to wait if they can. Even if you're on a Carnival excursion, there is only so long they can wait. Yes, they'll pay to get you to the next port, but if you don't have a passport, you're just as screwed as the guy who got drunk in Coz and woke up to a ship that was no longer there.

Passport: The difference between going home or catching up, whether between ports or missing the initial sailing. Don't leave home without one ;)

My opinion, so take it for what it's worth:

I don't enter a foreign country without my passport. It's just ingrained in me and I don't feel comfortable without it. I manage to get through my normal every day life without my driver's license being stolen or lost, and I imagine I can do the same with my passport in a foreign port. That's just me. A photo-copy kind of defeats the purpose.

Most people that miss the ship aren't on an independent excursion. They are either drunk or on their own and lose track of time. Carnival gives you that emergency number for a reason. The ship waiting has a lot less to do with the brand of excursion you are on and a lot more to do with them a) knowing where you are and b) the amount of time they can wait at the port. If there are 10 people on a private excursion and they call to let them know they had a flat and will be late, the ship is going to wait if they can. Even if you're on a Carnival excursion, there is only so long they can wait. Yes, they'll pay to get you to the next port, but if you don't have a passport, you're just as screwed as the guy who got drunk in Coz and woke up to a ship that was no longer there.

Passport: The difference between going home or catching up, whether between ports or missing the initial sailing. Don't leave home without one ;)

I totally agree about cruising with a Passport. If you're that drunk that you miss the ship, it's best not to be carrying your Passport on shore. Obviously if you're that irresponsible, chances are you're not aware of your surroundings and have a good probability of losing it. Maybe that's one of the reasons why they tell you to leave it onboard in the safe and when you eventually return they will have it waiting for you at the pier. They would rather you miss the ship and have your Passport then have you miss the ship and not be able to find it because you were too wasted to remember what you did with it. Just a thought. But I'm sure that would never be anyone on here [emoji41].

I totally agree about cruising with a Passport. If you're that drunk that you miss the ship, it's best not to be carrying your Passport on shore. Obviously if you're that irresponsible, chances are you're not aware of your surroundings and have a good probability of losing it. Maybe that's one of the reasons why they tell you to leave it onboard in the safe and when you eventually return they will have it waiting for you at the pier. They would rather you miss the ship and have your Passport then have you miss the ship and not be able to find it because you were too wasted to remember what you did with it. Just a thought. But I'm sure that would never be anyone on here [emoji41].

People get drunk on cruise ships?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is my understanding that leaving passengers behind is not done without consideration. Paging of passengers that have not been recorded coming aboard is performed. With no response the cabins are checked.

If it is determined that the people are not aboard the crew will go to the cabins and check the safe for passports. If they are present they will be left at the dock with the cruiseline agent (usually listed on the daily).

That helps! Thanks! I was wondering how we would get the pp if a medical emergency occurred. I had heard not to take them ashore.

That helps! Thanks! I was wondering how we would get the pp if a medical emergency occurred. I had heard not to take them ashore.

I actually think that the post you quoted is not true. Sometimes there's a goof in the computer and someone is believed to not be onboard when they are - hence why they page. It would be irresponsible for them to leave your passport in port simply because you failed to answer a page without confirming you are off the ship. However, I believe if you were to called the ship and tell them you were running late, there's a possibility they would do this. That would be my plan, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I actually think that the post you quoted is not true. Sometimes there's a goof in the computer and someone is believed to not be onboard when they are - hence why they page. It would be irresponsible for them to leave your passport in port simply because you failed to answer a page without confirming you are off the ship. However, I believe if you were to called the ship and tell them you were running late, there's a possibility they would do this. That would be my plan, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's why if you're onboard you better answer your pages. Here's another post from John Heald's FB page about this.

Name: Lee______

Message: John. Just off the triumph this am. We were in Cozumel on Saturday. It was clear that a passenger was missing some of his party. He looked very distressed on the pier. Do you know what happened? Did some passengers get left?

Name: Olina______

Message: Reading that passengers missed the Triumph and were left stranded on the pier I wanted to ask what happens to them if they do not have their passports. How do they get back to the ship or home. I am a worry wart so this kind of thing scares me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, two posts about the same thing and one good question. Firstly let me show you the quote from the Guest Services Manager on the Carnival Triumph who I just checked with about this., she says:

“ Good Afternoon,

No we did not leave anyone behind this Cozumel, all made it on board and we were not made aware of anyone that was worried of a friend that may have returned later than normal”

Secondly, I am not sure where this report came from but it is not true. The passport question is a good one because we do have the occasionally person who, sponsored by Carlos,his Frogs and his Three Friends fail through Tequila filled eyes, the big white thing pulling away from the pier and sailing into the sodding sunset.

Obviously we have a guest count based on our A Pass security system or the “ping “ machine on the gangway. If we are missing guests close to sailing time they are paged through the emergency system just in case their sail and sign card failed to “ping” and register when they put it in the slot. This is though a rare occurrence and if they are showing as not on board…………..it’s because , they are not on board.

If we are now a few minutes away from sailing a ship’s security guard accompanied by housekeeping will collect and sign for the safe master key, go into the guest cabin and collect the passport. The passports are then given to the ship’s agent. We have a company in every port who handles the ship’s affairs during the time it is docked there. The agent will then wait on the pier for the guests to come and then help the guests through the immigration process and assist with hotels and an airline ticket hopefully to the next port rather than home.

This is one of the reasons we do recommend passports and also as a Cruise Director I always advised guests to take ashore a copy of the Funtimes as it contains not only the time all guests must be on board …………….but the agents name and telephone number should you require assistance.

People do miss the ship now and then.

Watching people run down the pier at the last minute can be entertaining for guests but it causes all sorts of extra work for the crew.

So please……………..don’t be one of those people.

cheers

Just got my Passport renewal in the mail. It took exactly 2 weeks from when I mailed it Priority Mail so fast turn around time! Anyway, there was this pamphlet in the envelope. I find it interesting that they say to keep your Passport in a safe place and to keep a COPY with you. Nowhere does it say to carry the actual Passport. Not only does Carnival recommend you leave it on the ship in your safe, but the State Department doesn't advocate carrying it with you either. So there ya go. Take that piece of info and do what you will with it.

cf518908394252e927c6523a39fc97d3.jpg

960fffd6db54b460d6bc26b812043959.jpg