Thumbs up for Arashi Beach.

Arzeena

We were in Aruba very recently and went to Arashi Beach. Loved it!

Easy to get there by bus, cab or your own car rental. Bus arrives every hour on return. Ample car parking available. No crowds like Palm and Eagle beaches and very clean. Crystal clear water. $40 for umbrella and 2 lounge chairs, or $5 for lounge chair only. Palapas were available for shared shade. Beach bar for drinks and snacks (burgers, hotdogs, etc). Bathroom was very clean. Outdoor shower. No changing room.

• 2 weeks later...
Are there any watersports (jet ski, parasail) offered at Arashi? Any idea of how much a cab ride is? Thanks!

Sorry, I just saw this so hope it is not too late.

We took the cab/van back to port and it was $5 pp (shared van).

I do not recall seeing jetskis or parasailing (did not pay much attention), but they had something for power (?)snorkeling or scuba.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, let me jump in. The bus takes about 25 min from the town bus station (across from the cruise port) to Arashi. It is the last stop on the 10a bus line (make sure you take the hourly bus (it leaves around 25 past the hour) that goes all the way to Arashi (just ask the driver to make sure). At Arashi the bus actually pulls into the parking area so there is no way to miss the stop. As we have posted for many years, Arashi is our "go to" place for snorkeling but you do need your own equipment (including fins). Trust me that to do serious snorkeling here you do need fins since you want to swim out to the reef (off the left side (looking out to sea) extending out into the sea. You will likely see some snorkel tour boats off the beach....and that is where you want to be when snorkeling. There is also some decent snorkeling close to shore (off the left of the beach) but its in a shallow area with lots of rocks and can be a problem if the seas bounce you against rocks.

For decades we would go to Arashi where there were absolutely no facilities. But a couple of years ago the island finally built a small bathroom complex and snack bar (they have some food, beer, soda, etc). The last time we were at Arashi there was still no vendor renting beach toys (or snorkel gear) although we suspect that this will change (if has not already happened) in the near future. I should tell you that some locals are upset that they have started to develop this beach....since it was always popular with locals (and tourists in the know) because of the lack of development. And by the way, it is possible to walk/hike between Arashi and the Lighthouse if anyone has the interest.

Hank

I did ask you that in another thread Hank, about walking/hiking to the lighthouse. Is this marked, or a trail and about how far would you say?

Cheers

Len

When you are at Arashi you can clearly see the lighthouse on the nearby hill. You simply walk down the road and there is only one way to go :). I would estimate the walk at about 1/2 mile (just a guess) give or take. Its one of those walks where you can see the entire route from Arashi...and decide if its worth the trouble. The last part of that walk is all up hill...although it is not very steep.

Hank

Is it called the California Lighthouse?

Go to Google map and you can see the lighthouse and the beach in 360 deg. Like you are there. At least it gives me a feel for what its like. Google is your friend.

Thanks for the info.

Little Sister - I bought a great fold-up personal umbrella at Dick's Sporting Goods the other day for only $6.99. I intend on taking it with us to every beach on our next cruise. It's small enough to fit in suitcase and some backpacks even. This might work for you and it'll be cheaper in the long run and you can adjust it to suit you as the sun hits you. https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/dicks-sporting-goods-chair-umbrella-16dsguclmpnmbrllxodr/16dsguclmpnmbrllxodr

Hank (or anyone else that knows) - How do you get the shared van to/from the beach? That sounds more economical than a taxi (not sure if we want to do the slow-moving bus).

This is on my short list for March, but I need to know that there are plentiful umbrellas for rent. Don't want to ruin my cruise by burning under the Aruban sun. Do the bars sell liquor or beer only? Thanks.

If its a matter of umbrellas and booze you should go to either Palm or Eagle beaches. Arrashi is not nearly as commercial and is mostly popular with some locals, those of us who go there as a snorkel jump-off point, and some folks staying on the island who generally drive out their with their rental cars.

You are right to be concerned with the sun....so even with an umbrella make sure you use a decent sunscreen :).

Hank

We were also just at Arashi in late Dec. As OP said, its a great beach for swimming. Perfect conditions. The downside was that while the conditions were excellent, there really wasn't much to see snorkeling. Catalina Beach (next beach to the south) was a little better.

Anyone know?

The van/taxi thing is even a bit of a mystery to me...despite the fact that we have used them many times :). I have no idea how you can get these guys from town and we assume they leave from parts of town where we have never looked. But from the cruise port it really makes sense to simply cross the street and take an island bus (the drivers are friendly). And from the beaches (be it Eagle, Palm or Arashi) we normally walk to the nearest bus stop (they have a bench) with the intent to wait for the next bus (you will seldom wait more then 20 min...except at Arashi where you could wait for up to an hour).

So, what often happens is when you are waiting for the bus, a van (usually white) will drive by....and often stop. These are big vans (probably hold about 12) and this is one of primary transportation methods for the islanders. But the drivers are friendly to tourists, but they do expect that you have some clue to how they operate. If there is room, you simply get in the van....and off you go towards town. At some point (before you get to your destination) just ask "how much in US Dollars...to town." and the driver will give you the price (it will be less than $5). You can then pass the money up (when convenient) or pay him later before you leave. I will be honest and say that the buses are more comfortable, but those vans are just one more option on an island that has a pretty decent transportation system.

Here is the important part. If you go to Eagle or Palm you are not going to have a problem finding transportation back to the port. But Arashi is a different story since there is only 1 bus per hour (about 5 minutes before the hour) and there may not be any taxis (or van/buses) at that beach. Arashi is the last beach along that road and most who go there have cars.

I want to emphasize that Aruba calls itself "One Friendly Island" and to a great extent this is very true. The islanders will usually mind their own business, but if you break the ice they can be very friendly and helpful. They understand that their island economy depends on tourism....and most will go out of their way to be helpful. DW and I have vacationed on several Caribbean islands, but Aruba has always been among our favorites..with the islanders being a good part of the reason.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The van/taxi thing is even a bit of a mystery to me...despite the fact that we have used them many times :). I have no idea how you can get these guys from town and we assume they leave from parts of town where we have never looked. But from the cruise port it really makes sense to simply cross the street and take an island bus (the drivers are friendly). And from the beaches (be it Eagle, Palm or Arashi) we normally walk to the nearest bus stop (they have a bench) with the intent to wait for the next bus (you will seldom wait more then 20 min...except at Arashi where you could wait for up to an hour).

So, what often happens is when you are waiting for the bus, a van (usually white) will drive by....and often stop. These are big vans (probably hold about 12) and this is one of primary transportation methods for the islanders. But the drivers are friendly to tourists, but they do expect that you have some clue to how they operate. If there is room, you simply get in the van....and off you go towards town. At some point (before you get to your destination) just ask "how much in US Dollars...to town." and the driver will give you the price (it will be less than $5). You can then pass the money up (when convenient) or pay him later before you leave. I will be honest and say that the buses are more comfortable, but those vans are just one more option on an island that has a pretty decent transportation system.

Here is the important part. If you go to Eagle or Palm you are not going to have a problem finding transportation back to the port. But Arashi is a different story since there is only 1 bus per hour (about 5 minutes before the hour) and there may not be any taxis (or van/buses) at that beach. Arashi is the last beach along that road and most who go there have cars.

I want to emphasize that Aruba calls itself "One Friendly Island" and to a great extent this is very true. The islanders will usually mind their own business, but if you break the ice they can be very friendly and helpful. They understand that their island economy depends on tourism....and most will go out of their way to be helpful. DW and I have vacationed on several Caribbean islands, but Aruba has always been among our favorites..with the islanders being a good part of the reason.

Hank

Thanks, Hank. Really appreciate it. The bus schedule is good to know because someone else was saying they come along at 25 mins. after every hour. Thanks again!

I found the Arubus schedules:

http://arubus.com/schedules/

So looks like it leave's Oranjestad at :27 past the hour and leaves Arashi back to the ship at :56 past the hour.

For what its worth, when the bus comes to Arashi it parks in a small parking lot just adjacent to the beach. It is very hard to miss.,,,but one does need to be ready to go. The last couple of times we used the bus it was a few minutes late departing from Arashi (but you still should be at the parking lot waiting by 10 before the hour). In town they are usually right on time. Lately they have been departing (in town) from the stop that is furthest to your left as you walk from the street into the bus area. As I have posted, this is a friendly island so do not hesitate to ask the driver (or locals) if you have a question.

I should have added that the buses from town, during the prime times in the morning, can be crowded and become standing room only. We have always been able to get on the bus.....and if you do have to stand it should only be for about 10 minutes., Once the bus gets to Eagle (the first major stop) some folks will get off..and you will likely get a seat. It is a pretty easy ride (except for a few curves on the way out of town) so standing is not too big a deal. DW was once shocked when an elderly islander (far older then DW) got out of his seat and offered it to her (DW must have been 20 years younger then the islander). Chivalry is apparently alive and well on Aruba :).

Hank