Paris and the Heart of Normandy Captured Our Hearts! Full Trip Report - Viking Rolf

Sleep7

Friday was just what the trip doctor ordered.. another leisurely morning.

At 10am we assembled in the lounge. We knew this day would come... the dreaded "Disembarkation Talk."

Felt like we had just boarded and here we are talking luggage tag colors and transfer bus times.:(

Lionel in his usual hilarious and perceptive tone made the talk light and not only informative but rather enjoyable too!

We are still chuckling about his bit on luggage and how everyone is obsessed with where their luggage is.:)

Another lazy day buffet lunch with dare I say a rather generous glass of midday wine.. aahh.. I'm going to miss this.

OK.. I will stop whining in my wine.. there are still 2 full days of fun to enjoy!

We docked at the small village of Les Andelys at 1pm.

enhance

Back on the ship, and for the first time that week, we sat on the upper deck for a bit. The skies had cleared , the winds were calm and the temperature not too cool. We had a bird's eye view of going thru a lock.

enhance

We chatted with Lionel.

enhance

Captain's Cocktail Party at 6:30 that evening! Only a few unworn things left hanging in the closet.:(

Sparkling wine and good wishes all around!!!

enhance

enhance

enhance

Since many were going on a Paris By Night Tour tomorrow evening the Farewell Dinner was held tonight.

enhance

Saturday we docked in the port of Mantes- la-Jolie about an hour to the west of Paris. The morning optional tour of Versailles seemed to be a popular choice. We had recently been there so we opted for just the included afternoon tour to Napoleon's Chateau de Malmaison instead. Another choice was to spend a full day in Paris, if we had wanted to, as Viking provided a shuttle bus leaving the ship at 9:30am and returning at 5:30pm.

Before lunch we walked around the town of Mantes-la-Jolie for a bit and found our favorite Monoprix. It's sort of like a French Target. Has just about everything.. clothing, liquor, souvenirs and a full supermarket which is always fun to see. We were happy to get out of the rain as well.

enhance

Enjoyed a leisurely buffet lunch and then at 1:45 boarded our buses for the final time with our "electronic devices" and earpieces in place. Chateau de Malmaison was about a 45 minute ride from the Rolf. We picked up a red Viking umbrella on our way off the ship.. it was going to be one of those afternoons. The weather was going to be "changeable" as Lionel liked to say.

Another tour.. another fantastic guide.

enhance

enhance

enhance

According to the tour guide.. unbeknownst to him, Josephine bought this mansion while Napoleon was away in Egypt and he was NOT happy about it at all. When he returned and found this out he immediately changed French law to state that a wife can't buy property without the approval of her husband. Fascinating.

And so dear readers.. we are up to our last day..

enhance

That last evening many on the ship went on an optional Paris by Night bus tour. It was a shame that is was pouring but I'm sure it was still a thrill to see the "City of Light" lit up.

Had a lot of packing and organizing to do after our final dinner.

It's always sad to say goodbye to friends who have become very dear in only a few days time.

We changed our shuttle time to an earlier one as I wanted plenty of time to file my VAT papework in the airport.

We set a wake up call at 4:15am and rested our heads in delightful cabin 215 for the last time.

• Like 1

Just as Lionel said.. I was frantic about our luggage! What time does it go out? Why isn't it taken yet? Where is is now? Is in on the bus? Is it in the rain? I laughed at myself for being the stereotype.

We boarded the 5:45am shuttle and slowly pulled away from the Rolf in the rain.

enhance

• Like 1

Got to CDG super early for our 10:35am flight.. just like I like to do.

VAT papers submitted successfully.

So easy now.. you just scan a bar code on the receipt at a kiosk in the Detax area. If you get a green light you are done. If you get a red light then you have to see the customs agent. For most companies you don't even have to mail any forms in anymore. Simple!

Haahaaa.. lets see how confident I am about that system in a few weeks when my refund hasn't show up yet.:o

Went thru security and spent a bit of relaxing time in the Air France Lounge.

enhance

It was raining les chats et les chiens!

enhance

Delta flight 405 nonstop to JFK took just a shade under 8 hours to arrive.

Guess it was those 150mph head winds.. Win some winds.. lose some winds.:confused:

enhance

Landed safely at 12:40pm.clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Hellooooo New York!

It's been a few days since we have been home with plenty of time to reflect on what an absolutely amazing vacation we had on the Viking Rolf. It was relaxing.. it was fun.. it was delicious.. it was interesting.. it was a very special week indeed.

Every I was dotted and every T was crossed. The attention to detail was fantastic.

The genuine warmth of each and every crew member was what really made the week so outstanding.

Seeing their smiling and welcoming faces many times a day made us really relax and enjoy every facet of this lovely cruise on the Seine.

We hope to be back soon..

Thanks for sharing the journey with me!

It's been a few days since we have been home with plenty of time to reflect on what an absolutely amazing vacation we had on the Viking Rolf. It was relaxing.. it was fun.. it was delicious.. it was interesting.. it was a very special week indeed.

Every I was dotted and every T was crossed. The attention to detail was fantastic.

The genuine warmth of each and every crew member was what really made the week so outstanding.

Seeing their smiling and welcoming faces many times a day made us really relax and enjoy every facet of this lovely cruise on the Seine.

We hope to be back soon..

Thanks for sharing the journey with me!

Thanks for a great trip report. It brings back a lot of memories of our cruise on Uniworld 2.5 yrs ago.

Robin