July Airfare for Barcelona and Venice

dltodaro2

I am flying into Barcelona in July of 2013 and flying out of Venice. I am a newbie at this so any help would be appreciated. I could fly out of Toronto or NYC. I have the following questions: What would be a approx. good price round trip for this time of year? What is the best site to monitor airfare? What are most reliable airlines to use? Is it too early to book..when do most flights drop? Should I check certain company websites for sales? THANK YOU!!

I always run an Orbitz search and find out who has the best flights, times, airports, layovers ect. Then I concentrate on the specific airlines and book through them directly... You will want to keep an eye on multi city searches..Airfare goes up and down so much, when you find a price you are comfortable with, book it. It will be more $$$ in the summer than it will be in spring or fall.....Good luck...my guess is it will be in the 1200 range...:)

I am flying into Barcelona in July of 2013 and flying out of Venice. I am a newbie at this so any help would be appreciated. I could fly out of Toronto or NYC. I have the following questions: What would be a approx. good price round trip for this time of year? What is the best site to monitor airfare? What are most reliable airlines to use? Is it too early to book..when do most flights drop? Should I check certain company websites for sales? THANK YOU!!

1) "Good price" is subjective, but with all taxes and fees I would estimate about $1200 +/- for the height of tourist season (which is July). Likely higher out of Toronto due to higher taxes than USA.

2) Reliability of airlines isn't really an issue - they are all about the same. They operate similar (or same) aircraft with similar (or same) maintenance that complies to the proper US and European regulatory agency guidelines. Strikes can happen with US airlines and European airlines and cannot be planned for. Same with weather. Comfort or service is one thing...but reliability is another, and reliability is about the same for all US, Canadian and Western European airlines

3) Yes, it's likely too early to book. You cannot usually do so until 330 days out, so if you're booking a roundtrip, that's approximately 11 months from your RETURN flight. You can do so right away, or you can wait. I would recommend waiting. However, in regards to price drops, nobody can tell you if it will happen, let alone when. Just keep checking and see...that's all I can recommend. Also, the earlier you book, the more likely that your flight times will change at least slightly between booking and travel.

I am currently pricing airfare from the US to Barcelona and return flight from Venice for June 2012. I have found flights are cheaper from Canada than from Detroit (closest major airport) so I will probably go out of Canada.

I am currently pricing airfare from the US to Barcelona and return flight from Venice for June 2012. I have found flights are cheaper from Canada than from Detroit (closest major airport) so I will probably go out of Canada.

Confirm the cheaper tickets aren't charter, consolidator, or other types of tickets with significant restrictions. Otherwise you aren't making an apples-apples comparison. Read the sticky on this forum so you can make an informed "risk decision" if the Canadian fares are not published-fare tickets.

My flights are similar to yours- next April west coast into Rome and back home from Venice. Right it's $1200. Waiting for new Delta Sky Miles credit card to arrive by mail. Paying for the flights with that, I earn 30K miles. Have one in mine and husband's name, so an extra trip to Hawaii this year, makes the $1200 fare seem quite reasonable.

None of us need anymore credit cards but I thought this was a pretty good deal.

No fee first year and $95 after that. United has similar deal.

Best wishes.

I checked out the Delta credit card. I think 30,000 miles would pay for the flight there. It doesnt appear to be round trip. Something to consider. Thanks!

I doubt you will be able to find a way award ticket to Europe at the height of summer on DL for only 30,000 miles. DL is one of the worst airlines on which to book low mileage award tickets; you'd be lucky to find a one way at 90,000 miles. I looked at the entire month of June 2013 and found nothing less than 90,000 miles (which is considered a Medium amount of miles!) one way.

I checked out the Delta credit card. I think 30,000 miles would pay for the flight there. It doesnt appear to be round trip.

I doubt you will be able to find a way award ticket to Europe at the height of summer on DL for only 30,000 miles. DL is one of the worst airlines on which to book low mileage award tickets; you'd be lucky to find a one way at 90,000 miles. I looked at the entire month of June 2013 and found nothing less than 90,000 miles (which is considered a Medium amount of miles!) one way.

http://dmn.delta.com/skymiles/direct/charts/us49/

dltodaro2, please note: While it appears that a one way ticket to Europe (coach) can be had for 30k miles, understand that the miles needed are based on a round trip ticket, so you'll pay 60K miles whether you buy a one way ticket or a round trip ticket. i.e. 30K miles will not pay for a flight to Europe.

Also, as 6rugrats said, even finding a ticket at 60k miles is a rarity when traveling to a popular destination during tourist season

I checked out the Delta credit card. I think 30,000 miles would pay for the flight there. It doesnt appear to be round trip. Something to consider. Thanks!

Rugrat....so agree with the previous posters. I mentioned the Delta 30K miles not thinking that you'd plan on using this for Europe. Miles awarded for promotions like this usually don't even show up in your account for 6wks as long as 3 months. I mentioned hopefully using mine towards Hawaii but I have more miles accumulated. Even from the west coast and using off season, it's always a bear to get seats. Don't count on using for this upcoming trip.

Best wishes to you.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone who watches airfare to Europe know if prices to Barcelona in July from the US ever drop inside the "5 month out" mark?

From Florida it's $1375. I don't know if I should wait or buy my tickets soon. Help!

Thank you!

Does anyone who watches airfare to Europe know if prices to Barcelona in July from the US ever drop inside the "5 month out" mark?

From Florida it's $1375. I don't know if I should wait or buy my tickets soon. Help!

Thank you!

I usually track airfare from the US to Europe for the summer. It seems high this year. You don't give your originating city or dates, and I assume you want round trip. But, look at TAP. I see lots of dates in July, MIA-BCN for as low as $1097 RT.

I'm flying air transit vancouver to Paris, overnight train to Barcelona, return Lisbon to Toronto the flights were 1034 taxes in. This is July. They have dropped to 940 right now . Check air transit out of Toronto. This is July I'm quoted. I am mad at them right now though. I have only put a 200 deposit down and the tickets dropped 100 each and they won't give me the new price. So booking early didn't work for me.

Thank you!

Check air transit out of Toronto. This is July I'm quoted. I am mad at them right now though.

Why would yvonneh do that? She wants to fly from Florida, not Toronto.

Edited to add, perhaps you are responding to OP? OP hasn't checked into their account since late December.

I also will be flying in on the 19th of june till junly 4 and the cheapest air i have seen is 1357. each and if i purchase with celebrity it is 1382. each A lot of money and I have not booked yet and don't know if I should book it now or wait....any ideas out there????

I also will be flying in on the 19th of june till junly 4 and the cheapest air i have seen is 1357. each and if i purchase with celebrity it is 1382. each A lot of money and I have not booked yet and don't know if I should book it now or wait....any ideas out there????

Look at TAP. If you can leave from MIA, I see airfare for your dates as low as $981.30.

http://www.flytap.com/USA/enus/Homepage

I also will be flying in on the 19th of june till junly 4 and the cheapest air i have seen is 1357. each and if i purchase with celebrity it is 1382. each .....any ideas out there????

That is not really unreasonable for air travel during the height of the Europe tourism season. At this point, as those who have held off booking get serious and start booking, I would expect to see fares rise, as the lower fares sell out. Just my .02

I agree with waterbug123. In fact, I have the same pricing for my flight to Barcelona July 2-26th. I decided to pull the trigger and just buy it now. I don't think they will be dropping in price, and I did not want to miss the great flight I had. I am in the back of the plane as it is buying this late, there are very few seats left.

What I did do was to buy it through Orbitz so if someone else books the same ticket for a lesser price, I will get a credit with them at 110%. The chances this will happen is slim to none, but it made me feel better. :)

Archived