Best small camera for Europe

How small is small. I like my Canon SX40 (now the SX-60). However it does not fit in my pocket. The SX-60 has a 65X zoom allowing for wide angle and close up without switching lenses. Panasonic, Nikon and the others have an equivalent.

Depends if you want a huge zoom convenience, which will be poorer quality and will suffer inside churches, etc, or if you want high quality, capable of capturing low light.

If you want high quality compact, you need to go with one of the various 1" sensor compact cameras, the leader being the Sony rx100, which comes in several models. Nikon is about to release a similar line of cameras, and Canon has their own version like the gx7.

If (when) I go back to Europe, I'm getting the latest Sony RX100. Last year I used my Sony HX50V and I got some amazing shots.

20150503_32_zpsp60dtequ.jpg

20150503_95adj_zpshfp8bbd0.jpg

Here are a couple of my favorites.

It all depends on how much you want to (or can) spend and what kind of a camera you want!

Vic

Victories used a Sony HX50v for her posted pictures. The newer version of this camera the Sony HX90v has an extended range out to 720 (for long range). I have both the RX100 and the HX90V great pocket cameras. If you want the extend range get the 90V. You can go to preview.com a query these camera for user info.

Tom :cool:

The HX50V has a 30x zoom. I do like the versatility of the camera, but it doesn't shoot in raw and there is a limit to how big the pictures can be blown up. If you just want to look at them on a computer screen or print 4x5 (or 15x20) it is a great camera. It's also good in low light without a flash, which is good for museums. (Take multiple shots, the focus can be a little off, or I don't have steady enough hands.)

All in all I really like the whole HX - V line. The only one I wasn't super impressed with is the 200V, and it is still pretty good.

Thanks for the compliments.

Vic

Edited by Victress2007

I too love my Sony HX50V. 24mm to 720mm zoom. Can be used as point & shoot or set your own settings. Takes great panorama shots and very good in low light when flash is not permitted such as most museums & churches. Best of all, fits in your pocket so you always have it handy.

3 years ago I used a Canon T4i and an 18-135 IS lens for everything. The camera had the double battery pack on the bottom and I had 10 memory sticks for it. Shot everything and no lens change including Video. Yes, it is bigger than a Point and Shoot, but the results are worth it.

YMMV