NY/NJ Hotel Suggestion for family of 5

borntoshop29

Hello,

We are driving in to NY from Mass to sail out of the Manhattan Pier. We are driving on Friday May 25th which is memorial day weekend and will check in to a hotel for just the 1night and will drive to the pier Saturday morning.

Can anyone recommend a hotel for 5 that is clean, and will be easy on the budget. We have stayed in NJ before and are fine with doing that again.

Any suggestions and tips are welcome!

Thank You!

That's going to be a tough one to find for the start of a 3 day holiday weekend & translate into the outskirts of metro NY - and, most hotels have a typical max. capacity of 4 per room (5 maybe w. children)

What kind of beddings are you looking for, 2 adults + 3 kids/teens or ?? Maybe look for something around Stamford, CT - exit 4 to exit 8, somewhere just off I-95 heading south, which - would put you about 1 hour of driving distance, direct into Manhattan to park at the pier (via the parkways ... with 138East/Carol's proven instructions, think she's away on a cruise this week out of Cape Liberty) That would eliminate any chance of doing NYC sightseeing - traffic on I-95 and on the Meritt (I-15) would be a nightmare.

A quick glance, not seeing anything good with the $200 ballpark figures closer toward NYC. Driving into NJ & staying there is possible, add more travel time in evening traffic + $15 for toll crossing back into NY (from G.W. Bridge or Lincoln Tunnel as they are the closest to the pier.)

We stayed as a family of 6 at Sonesta Suites in Parsippany. We had a 2BR and it was wonderful. Free Breakfast, clean rooms. restaurants close by. It was about a 20-30 minute drive to the port.

I see Sonesta 2br for $159 plus tax on Hotels.com. They also have Embassy Suites for $172.

Edited by Jyllie63
more info

We stayed as a family of 6 at Sonesta Suites in Parsippany. We had a 2BR and it was wonderful. Free Breakfast, clean rooms. restaurants close by. It was about a 20-30 minute drive to the port.

I see Sonesta 2br for $159 plus tax on Hotels.com. They also have Embassy Suites for $172.

I suspect you were cruising from Cape Liberty, not Manhattan, which is where the OP is cruising from. Parsippany is an hour's drive from the Manhattan cruise terminal. Further, you were undoubtedly coming from west of NY/NJ and Parsippany was directly on your route. The OP is driving from Massachusetts and to get to Parsippany they would be driving almost an hour out of their way and then doubling back the next day to get to Manhattan.

Parsippany is a great location for people driving in from Ohio, some parts of Pennsylvania, etc., but not a good choice for anyone coming from New England.

Yep....I've only cruised from Bayonne...didn't think of that :-)

Any chance you can give advice about driving from Ohio and staying near Somerset? Not sure of the drive to the port and if it's a good idea or not. Secaucus, Parsippany, Newark are all very expensive. Somerset is reasonable for an overnights stay.

Yep....I've only cruised from Bayonne...didn't think of that :-)

Any chance you can give advice about driving from Ohio and staying near Somerset? Not sure of the drive to the port and if it's a good idea or not. Secaucus, Parsippany, Newark are all very expensive. Somerset is reasonable for an overnights stay.

Did you have a particular hotel you were considering in Somerset? The reason I ask is that hotels often play fast and loose with the descriptions of where they are and a hotel in "Somerset" might be somewhere else.

The drive to Cape Liberty would be about an hour, perhaps a few minutes less, most of it on the NJ Turnpike.

Did you have a particular hotel you were considering in Somerset? The reason I ask is that hotels often play fast and loose with the descriptions of where they are and a hotel in "Somerset" might be somewhere else.

The drive to Cape Liberty would be about an hour, perhaps a few minutes less, most of it on the NJ Turnpike.

Probably Sonesta Suites again.

Sonesta ES Suites Somerset, Somerset

3-star260 Davidson Ave, Somerset, NJ, 08873, United States of America, 800-491-6126

Thank you all for your help!

We are 3 adults 2 children. Myself, my husband, my sister and my two boys ages 15 and12. We need two full/queen beds and a pull out sofa or something on that idea. We stayed in North Bergen NJ. last time and that worked out fine. Just thought we would see if we could get a bit closer. It usually is a 4 hour drive or so from Mass as we are just at the NH border. I am curious how much more traffic we will encounter on the Friday drive. We plan to hit the ground running at just about 2pm.

Any information is welcomed.

By the time you get down toward the outer & inner loop around Boston, everybody else heading out of town will be on it and jamming the Mass Tpke ... best to hope for is good weather & steady flow of traffic moving at/near the speed limit. The I-84 stretch (with HOV) usually are fine until you get near Hartford, hitting the early PM & Friday/holiday weekend rush hour ... and continue toward I-15 and/or I-95 heading south, take your best pick or guess with Google Maps/navigation and/or Waze for "better" routing, sun glare might be a problem as well depending on your timing heading westward all the way into NYC.

If you choice of hotel is off I-95, expect heavy traffic moving along, sometimes stop-n-go from bottlenecks from Exit 45/44 to continue and again, worsen as you get near Norwalk, Exit 12/11 until Stamford, Exit 7/6 and if you continue toward NY, until you cross the border and the split for I-287 (alternate to NJ via the Tappan Z. Bridge into I-17 ... absolutely avoid going thru the Bronx, I-95 to the G.W. Bridge or the Hutchinson River Pkwy.

If you wish to travel into NJ, as noted by others, to save on hotel ... be prepared to allow up to 2+ extra hours for traffic & congestions and usual gridlocking bottleneck. IMO, not worth the trouble.

That's basically 5 adults sharing a single room and bath is going to be very cozy, I know it is just for some zzz's overnight.

On hotwires around Stamford, CT - I see a good selection & choice of major national hotel chains,m 3 and 4 stars, some including hot breakfast, just over $100 per night - so, it's a little over your budget but more room & personal space for everyone ... as you will most certainly be on the road for 5, maybe 6 hours ... if not longer in getting there. Plan & scout out what's available for dining & evening meals in that area ahead of the trip. For hotel discounts, shop for deals - input all qualifying discounts like military, uniformed services, AAA, retirees, corporate, etc. - call up the hotel's local # and ask directly - most of the ones I'v seen have a stated max policy of 4 guests in a room, regardless of the bedding (up to 3 children) ... well.

Probably Sonesta Suites again.

Sonesta ES Suites Somerset, Somerset

3-star260 Davidson Ave, Somerset, NJ, 08873, United States of America, 800-491-6126

I'm not personally familiar with the hotel, but judging by where it is the neighborhood looks like it should be OK. One caveat is if you're going to have dinner in the area the selection of restaurants doesn't look very large.

Figure on a one hour drive to Cape Liberty from the hotel, but if you're doing it on a weekend morning it might take a little less time.

I'm not personally familiar with the hotel, but judging by where it is the neighborhood looks like it should be OK. One caveat is if you're going to have dinner in the area the selection of restaurants doesn't look very large.

Figure on a one hour drive to Cape Liberty from the hotel, but if you're doing it on a weekend morning it might take a little less time.

Thanks!

By the time you get down toward the outer & inner loop around Boston, everybody else heading out of town will be on it and jamming the Mass Tpke ... best to hope for is good weather & steady flow of traffic moving at/near the speed limit. The I-84 stretch (with HOV) usually are fine until you get near Hartford, hitting the early PM & Friday/holiday weekend rush hour ... and continue toward I-15 and/or I-95 heading south, take your best pick or guess with Google Maps/navigation and/or Waze for "better" routing, sun glare might be a problem as well depending on your timing heading westward all the way into NYC.

If you choice of hotel is off I-95, expect heavy traffic moving along, sometimes stop-n-go from bottlenecks from Exit 45/44 to continue and again, worsen as you get near Norwalk, Exit 12/11 until Stamford, Exit 7/6 and if you continue toward NY, until you cross the border and the split for I-287 (alternate to NJ via the Tappan Z. Bridge into I-17 ... absolutely avoid going thru the Bronx, I-95 to the G.W. Bridge or the Hutchinson River Pkwy.

If you wish to travel into NJ, as noted by others, to save on hotel ... be prepared to allow up to 2+ extra hours for traffic & congestions and usual gridlocking bottleneck. IMO, not worth the trouble.

That's basically 5 adults sharing a single room and bath is going to be very cozy, I know it is just for some zzz's overnight.

On hotwires around Stamford, CT - I see a good selection & choice of major national hotel chains,m 3 and 4 stars, some including hot breakfast, just over $100 per night - so, it's a little over your budget but more room & personal space for everyone ... as you will most certainly be on the road for 5, maybe 6 hours ... if not longer in getting there. Plan & scout out what's available for dining & evening meals in that area ahead of the trip. For hotel discounts, shop for deals - input all qualifying discounts like military, uniformed services, AAA, retirees, corporate, etc. - call up the hotel's local # and ask directly - most of the ones I'v seen have a stated max policy of 4 guests in a room, regardless of the bedding (up to 3 children) ... well.

Thank you!

Are you eligible for an AAA or senior discount? The La Quinta in Stamford would come in at just over $200 for a queen and 2 doubles plus free breakfast and free internet. We went to sightsee in NYC with DD and 3 DGD's and got this combination of rooms. Everyone was very happy with the hotel - not fancy but it met all our needs with a large entourage. It also was an easy off easy on to I95. I've also stayed in 3 of the 3* Stamford Hotwire hotels. None are as close to I95 and 2 charged for parking. Only one had free breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...