Gratuity Removal Too Easy?

spj8705

Just off the Freedom (AMAZING week/cruise) and on the last day we were in line at GS to settle our cash account. They had a very friendly crew member going through the line to help speed it up and get people out of line quicker. The people in front of us told her they wanted grats. removed, she made a quick call on her portable phone, gave whoever answered the stateroom # and said remove grats. for all passengers. That was it, no signing anything, asking if there was a problem, nothing.

Of course it's nice that you can have an issue handled with ease, but it just kind of stuck with me all weekend that people can remove them so easily. It also seemed to be a very common need in the line we were in, as multiple were up there just for that purpose. Here's to hoping they had other plans with cash or something?

Just off the Freedom (AMAZING week/cruise) and on the last day we were in line at GS to settle our cash account. They had a very friendly crew member going through the line to help speed it up and get people out of line quicker. The people in front of us told her they wanted grats. removed, she made a quick call on her portable phone, gave whoever answered the stateroom # and said remove grats. for all passengers. That was it, no signing anything, asking if there was a problem, nothing.

Of course it's nice that you can have an issue handled with ease, but it just kind of stuck with me all weekend that people can remove them so easily. It also seemed to be a very common need in the line we were in, as multiple were up there just for that purpose. Here's to hoping they had other plans with cash or something?

That is sometimes used at the last minute as way to complain about the cruise.

If the grats are voluntary like they say they are then it should be easy to take them off. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to do it. As someone who used to work in the service industry I believe that tips are to be earned not owed. It is unfortunate that they are taking them off though. I have yet to see anyone on all my cruises not earn the little they get. To each his own though.

I think if they are ‘optional’ then you should have the option to not have them taken each day on your account but only within a set timeframe after boarding.

Anything after that and it should involve a brief discussion with someone of authority to establish the problem.

To leave it to the last day is poor, I’d imagine the stateroom attendant would be around the morning of departure if no issue had been raised or alternative tip given.

I don't mess about with auto gratuities as I want to enjoy my cruise and leave with a clear conscience. I try not to worry about what other people do.

Cruise companies have created a lot of confusion over gratuities including RCL. The messages they put out regarding gratuities are often contradictory. It is for them to fix the problem.

In some countries, gratuities are included in the fare. We will probably end up with that being norm and everything will be fine in the world. In the meantime we should carry on enjoying our holidays and not worry about what fellow passengers do.

Cruise companies have created a lot of confusion over gratuities including RCL. The messages they put out regarding gratuities are often contradictory. It is for them to fix the problem.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. When booking online, you can simply prepay the gratuities. If you don't prepay, they get added daily. How is that confusing? They add them automatically and let you know they are doing exactly that. So don't worry about it. What is the "problem" and what is confusing about this?

We have NEVER removed gratuities . The staff works very hard to make our cruising very enjoyable :D

That being said ,if a passenger feels that the service they are receiving is sub par then they need to address this matter ,at the time service is rendered & not wait until the end of any cruise ,to say remove my tips . That type of decision is selfish & has NO character :(

We have sailed on 80 cruises with 5 different cruise lines & never had any problems with staff that could not be resolved equitably :)

Ugh, it should be more difficult, a reason logged and confirming who wanted it removed from, instead of all. The more people who screw staff the more service declines w unhappy workers and higher gratuities charged to make up for it in future.

Maybe many new cruisers didn’t realize they’d be added and they should be displaced as part of the total when booking along w “this paid on ship”. Cost of cruise 3 payment dates, deposit, final payment, on ship for services rendered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think we should just tip after every meal....That way, if the service was lousy, then we don't tip much, but if the service is exceptional, then we can over tip!!! :cool:

DROP MIC!!!

BOOM!!!

SOLUTION SOLVED!!!

EVERYONE IS HAPPY NOW!!!!

Waiting to remove all gratuities at the end of a cruise is a slap in the faces of the crew.

Before removing the gratuities, why not address the problem right away with Guest Services?

When the respective issues are not addressed and rectified, may we suggest removing gratuities only for that one or two particular day(s) but not for the entire cruise?

Fair?

The fact that they waited until the end of the cruise is nauseating.If they had a problem, report it, and let the cruise line correct it. I highly doubt they were confused. They just wanted to get off cheap. I also doubt they gave out encelopes, which, by the way, eliminates the rest of the people that participate in the pool.

Waiting to remove all gratuities at the end of a cruise is a slap in the faces of the crew.

Before removing the gratuities, why not address the problem right away with Guest Services?

When the respective issues are not addressed and rectified, may we suggest removing gratuities only for that one or two particular day(s) but not for the entire cruise?

Fair?

The thing is, I have a feeling most grats are removed simply b/c people don't want to pay them. I bet most if not all don't really have a service issue for removing them.

Fair?

Because the "problem" for these lowlifes is paying gratuity in the first place. It has nothing to do with the staff or performance.

A ship is supposed to the "cashless", and having to tip after every purchase would mean either signing for a tip, or carrying cash...

Back before tips were added to your bill daily, we always did the "envelope" thing...usually adding more than "suggested" (except once, where we simply tipped the suggested amount...very bad service from the waiter...but the ass't waiter made up for it, and therefore got a LOT extra!)

I pre pay my grats on all lines. Unless the service is bad, I also give additional to my steward, waiter, and ass't waiter. The only exception is on NCL, because you don't usually get the same wait staff every night, so I only give to my steward. That doesn't include bar tips, which I give for every trip to the bar or my server. Only talking about $1 or $2.00

I think we should just tip after every meal....That way, if the service was lousy, then we don't tip much, but if the service is exceptional, then we can over tip!!! :cool:

DROP MIC!!!

BOOM!!!

SOLUTION SOLVED!!!

Your cabin steward probably not happy now...

DROP MIC!!!

BOOM!!!

SOLUTION SOLVED!!!

Never work! Cruising is a cashless vacation. No one wants to carry a purse/wallet around all day. Plus the automatic gratuities cover more than just your dining room staff. How would you tip other service staff?

I wish the gratuity would be made mandatory. Even if you give cash to the room steward and to the dining room staff. About $4 of the gratuity goes to other staff you don’t see to tip individually. 4,000 people on a ship times $4. That is $16,000 to be divided amount staff. They need that money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It really seems they should have at least ask WHY?

While I do not agree with removing gratuities for no good reason, they are optional and it should be quite easy to remove them. I personally like the automatic gratuities, as that is probably an hour of time I do not have to spend stuffing envelopes and handing them out.

The ones that removed the gratuities were probably the same ones who demanded extra attention during the cruise. Let’s face it, everywhere you go, there’s a few despicable people who have no consideration or respect for others and will game the system any way they can.

Sad but true.

The number of people attending MDR on the last night is decreasing worldwide except for Aussies and Kiwis who have now gratuities included in the fare.

Watch the numbers increase for MDR last night when tips are compulsory in the fare.

I’ve noticed this as well. On our Alaska cruise this summer, we missed the last night in the MDR because we were in the medical unit with my wife being treated for asthma and acute bronchitis. I suspected that all the table mates we’d made friends throughout the week figured we were cheapskates avoiding tipping the waitstaff.