With third Anthem sailing having Noro...

plum24

Wondering how long this will go on? We sail Dec 14. Hope it is finally gone by then! And yes I realize it's impossible to predict. What's the record of back to back sailings being stricken?

The crew must be exhausted....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Crew exhaustion is one of my biggest concerns, especially as some move from room to room cleaning and sanitizing. My young son and I board Saturday, how long can the crew be expected to maintain this level of vigilance? I am tipping well next week!

I don't think I will sail from a "cold" port again during the winter - having everyone cooped up together until warmer weather cannot be helping matters.

Edited by LiamsMommy2008
Additional comments

Just wash your hands a lot. You'll be fine.

As for the cold weather port, when I got it we were sailing out of Florida. People come from all over for the cruise so even if you sail from a warm port in the winter, you're likely going to have plenty of folks coming from the cold. I know that's why I like cruising in the winter.

Don't overlook the airports and airplanes that many cruisers pass through prior to boarding. Talk about hot spots for contracting a bug. I have gotten ill more times after flying than on a cruise. Packing lots of disinfectant wipes for our January cruise. Still, the best practice is to wash one's hands OFTEN.

Washy Washy all the time... ALWASY use elbows and knuckles to push doors open .. let the person going for the same door to get there first .... avoid contact with any surface that has been touched by others.... AND be mindful of your own hands toughing your face and nose... and for goodness sake, stop deep kissing random strangers you meet in the halls on the ship!!

Have a great cruise!

We are also on the Dec 14th sailing and this is feeling a bit unnerving. I keep seeing how people are talking about the elevator buttons, so I guess we will be taking a lot of stairs in addition to constant washing. I feel terrible for the crew, this is a hard time of year to be away from home, and now they have extra work to do because people are gross.

I'm not normally an overly optimistic person, but I can't imagine that the outbreak period would go on until mid-December. If it's been going since 10/28 (as I've read on here), we're only 3 weeks in. I would like to think they could get it under control before another month passes.

I am on the Dec 14th sailing as well. I'm not worried at all. I think by that point all the crew will have already had noro and the ship will be the cleanest it's been in the last 12 months.

There is also a 12 day southern before us and I think that will give the crew a little bit of a break and change of pace without 1200 kids on board and a few different ports other than Cape Canaveral and Nassau. Most of the sailings before ours should have way less kids than the Halloween and Jersey Week sailings.

This could probably be the best setup for our December sailing.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm not normally an overly optimistic person, but I can't imagine that the outbreak period would go on until mid-December. If it's been going since 10/28 (as I've read on here), we're only 3 weeks in. I would like to think they could get it under control before another month passes.

So how do you get new passengers coming onto the ship every week under control?

We are also on the Dec 14th sailing and this is feeling a bit unnerving. I keep seeing how people are talking about the elevator buttons, so I guess we will be taking a lot of stairs in addition to constant washing. I feel terrible for the crew, this is a hard time of year to be away from home, and now they have extra work to do because people are gross.

Handrails on stairs. 😉 😱

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

So how do you get new passengers coming onto the ship every week under control?

The likelihood of a norovirus outbreak lasting for almost 2 months on the same ship (yes, I understand it's the passengers), is very small.

Makes me mad when I see someone go into the Windjammer and refuse the offered hand sanitizer. It's not offered to protect him/her, it's offered to protect the rest of us. This person is going to touch all of the serving utensils in the buffet.

Makes me mad when I see someone go into the Windjammer and refuse the offered hand sanitizer. It's not offered to protect him/her, it's offered to protect the rest of us. This person is going to touch all of the serving utensils in the buffet.

I understand your frustrations but santizer doesn't prevent Noro. Also a person could be allergic to the hand sanitizer. I'm not saying this is always the case but you never know. Hand washing is the best prevention of Noro.

Just wash your hands a lot. You'll be fine.

As for the cold weather port, when I got it we were sailing out of Florida. People come from all over for the cruise so even if you sail from a warm port in the winter, you're likely going to have plenty of folks coming from the cold. I know that's why I like cruising in the winter.

I washed my hands like crazy and used sanitizer every chance I had but still caught Noro the day after my return from the 11/4 sailing. There is no guarantee unless you borrow one of their hazmat suits to walk around in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I carry my own personal hand sanitizer spray - way better than what they use on the ship - mine gets rid of the stuff, not cover it up and keep the bad germs on my hands the the sticky stuff the cruise line hands out. My spray has been tested against bleach, and bleach had bacteria growing on it several days afterwards, my spray - nothing in a week!!!! I will stick to carrying my own and not using theirs, but I do understand most people that walk by the washy washy station are not using anything :( I almost think someone should stand inside the public restrooms on the ship and do the washy washy!!!!!!!!

I almost think someone should stand inside the public restrooms on the ship and do the washy washy!!!!!!!!

I have seen them do this!!! According to my husband, it happens in the men's room more often than the ladies, but I have seen crew just stand by the door and watch everyone and politely send the non-washy or water only washy people back!

Don’t touch doorknobs, use your shirt or push the door open. Don’t touch the handrails on the stairs, or the seats in the theater. Wash your hands constantly, wash them well. As for me, I avoid the buffet because I work in healthcare and they are just gross in my opinion and unsanitary. I also wipe down things in my cabin with Clorox wipes. (doorknobs, remote, handle to balcony, etc.). In 13 cruises, no illnesses. Maybe it’s a bit overkill but it works. I would be happy they are doing extra cleaning.

I understand your frustrations but santizer doesn't prevent Noro. Also a person could be allergic to the hand sanitizer. I'm not saying this is always the case but you never know. Hand washing is the best prevention of Noro.

The CDC recommends use of hand sanitizer in addition to regular handwashing to help prevent non-envelopes viruses like Noro. Please don’t discourage using hand sanitizer. Consider that in the windjammer, the sanitizer is the last opportunity to do anything. (Unless on the princess ships that have sinks for handwashing outside the buffets) People should thoroughly wash their hands before coming. Use the sanitizer offered when you come in. Then use again after you go through the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CDC recommends use of hand sanitizer in addition to regular handwashing to help prevent non-envelopes viruses like Noro. Please don’t discourage using hand sanitizer. Consider that in the windjammer, the sanitizer is the last opportunity to do anything. (Unless on the princess ships that have sinks for handwashing outside the buffets) People should thoroughly wash their hands before coming. Use the sanitizer offered when you come in. Then use again after you go through the line.

I have to give Empress some credit as there were hand washing sinks at the entrance to Windjammer. They were installed after her lengthy delayed introduction back to Royal from Pullmantur.

I can't help but think that it is now time to stop the traditional buffet service where serving utensils are used by passengers who do not take advantage of these sinks and can sometimes be seen licking their fingers in between reaching for the next set of serving utensils. A total gross out for me on land based buffets and at sea. Going forward, only allow food service staff to transfer food to plates without passengers sharing utensils.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Quantum class ships have sinks outside the Windjammer and also Solarium Bistro. On all the Anthem cruises I've been on there has been someone standing outside the WJ directing people to the sinks. Most people do wash their hands, but I've seen a few go in and just keep walking. I don't get it, it only takes a minute to wash your hands.

Not discouraging anything just saying you don't know the other person's situation. My BFF can't use hand sanitizer due to allergies to most of them. Her hands will break out and burn for hours after. She washes them constantly and deals with the dirty looks from people when she passes on sanitizer.

The Quantum class ships have sinks outside the Windjammer and also Solarium Bistro. On all the Anthem cruises I've been on there has been someone standing outside the WJ directing people to the sinks. Most people do wash their hands, but I've seen a few go in and just keep walking. I don't get it, it only takes a minute to wash your hands.

It's because they are lazy and don't care. They think it's my cruise I don't have wash my hands if I don't want too. I've actually heard some me say that to a worker before.

I am always happy to wash and sanitize. 8 cruises and not sick. Knock on wood. My wife and I survived the anthem nov 4-11 out break

Sent from my iPad using Forums