Are Thomson cruises any good

It's not just a problem on the Discoveries Dave.. We had the same problems on the Celebration. Over two hours most nights and almost always leaving without coffee to try to catch the start of the show.

Cuts around the ship very noticeable in all areas. Staff seem stressed and unhappy. First time cruisers would not notice this but long time cruisers see a big difference in the atmosphere on board.

Courses in the MDR cut from five to three and much smaller portions. Day time entertainment sorely lacking. We can remember when there was so much going on it was difficult to chose. We were actually bored most days on our last cruise.

Entertainment on Discovery whilst good, for the size of the ship, there was not enough happening. We sat in the Atrium on a few evenings waiting for dinner & all the entertainment was listening to a 'player less piano'. No entertainment early on in Bar 11. I remember the days on Celebration where you could go to Horizons, Hemmingways & Liberties & there was always something happening pre & post dinner.

People crammed into Live Bar post dinner / show as that was the only place things were happening - mostly standing room only.

There were some fantastic bands & musicians onboard but there needed to be more going on in the evenings.

Must agree all the entertainment is continual in the live bar. Do like Horizons and Waters Edge but that's just me.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Live Bar entertainment was great! Loved the pianist & saxophonist & the band B12 were fantastic - they have gone home now & not sure who the replacements are.

I hope they get the entertainment sorted on the Discoveries before April surely you can't have so many areas on a ship not being used? You are spoilt for choice on Celebration, Spirit and especially Dream

The areas are used by people but it's a shame for example that they don't have a duo or soloist in Bar 11 early evening - it's a lovely venue but very quiet & would probably be more popular if there was some kind of music for people to listen to. (The disco there late evening was very good!)

Atrium is a very busy venue but again no continual entertainment in there.

We didn't use Venue at all as it seemed to be all quizzes (no music) when we were on in the evening.

The reason there is no early evening entertainment in Bar 11 (apart from lack of room) is that diners in Kora La complained about the noise. Later on when the restaurant is closed it does not matter. I know, I was there!

Apart from the theatre there are 3 entertainment venues on the Discoveries, the Atrium, Venue and the Live Room. The Venue is where the 'butlins' entertainment happens. At least Marella keep it all in one venue in contrast to P&O who spread it all over the ship.

The areas are used by people but it's a shame for example that they don't have a duo or soloist in Bar 11 early evening - it's a lovely venue but very quiet & would probably be more popular if there was some kind of music for people to listen to..

We must be miseries as we loved Bar 11 on D2 because there was no entertainment and we could always get a seat; just enjoyed being able to chat and relax in a very pleasant environment.

Thomson were the first cruiseline I tried; Celebration (good vibrations!) to the fjords.Since then we've been with them to the caribbean twice,egypt and jordan,greece and turkey.

I liked them because although the ships were old,the entertainment was a bit cheesy and the food wasn't marvellous they had lots of ports,lovely staff and weren't out to get every penny out of you through drinks prices,alternative restaurants and gratuities and I sefended them against the cruise-snobs (Cunard.lol)

It's been a few years since I was last on Thomson (TUI,Marella whatever) but I'm going again in December.So far, they haven't redeemed themselves well regarding the hurricane situation, i think dozy is the kindest word!

Last year there was at 7 night cruise ti Greece that I liked the look of but couldn't do the dates so I've just looked for 2018.

Soory TUI, those prices are a joke...I'v paid less for Azamara and overnight stops, and they are a real class act.

TUI either don't want to cruise with UK clientele or are going to have to reduce these prices by at least 30%; even if they are all-inclusive,,,TUI all-inclusive isn't the best.

To be fair to TUI, their land based holidays start off very expensive but reduce significantly; thomas cook were the same.

• 1 month later...

Just had two weeks on Marella Celebration to the Caribbean

Advantages:-

Cheap

Good itinerary

OK food

OK entertainment

OK ship

Bad points:-

Vibration from front and rear of ship

Guests

Guests

Guests

My issue with the guests - I witnessed fighting, there were reports of stealing both on board and ashore, gastro illnesses reported, lots of smokers, poor manners and behaviour, excessive eating and drinking. the main problem was the people who frequented the Lido area at the rear of the ship - it was like feeding time at the trough

People have commented about the excellent staff - my view is that they are worse than any other cruise line I have been on. To get a drink brought to you would take at least 15 minutes. Even if you went to the bar, they would take your order and then bring it to you in turn - hence 15 minute wait. the staff needed shaking up - we regularly saw 3 staff at the bar - one working and two standing watching. Also when walking throughout the ship you had to stand aside to let staff through rather than the other way round.

The cruise was just not a pleasant experience. We made the most of it and met some really nice people away from the rabble at the back of the ship.

Advice is that if you have booked, Cancel and lose your deposit, if paid balance, cancel and lose the lot, if not prepared to then - eat ALL meals in the Meridian restaurant. Drink and watch musicians in Horizons or Hemingways and sunbathe on top deck. Avoid the Riff Raff at the back of the ship

• 2 weeks later...
Thomson were the first cruiseline I tried; Celebration (good vibrations!) to the fjords.Since then we've been with them to the caribbean twice,egypt and jordan,greece and turkey.

I liked them because although the ships were old,the entertainment was a bit cheesy and the food wasn't marvellous they had lots of ports,lovely staff and weren't out to get every penny out of you through drinks prices,alternative restaurants and gratuities and I sefended them against the cruise-snobs (Cunard.lol)

It's been a few years since I was last on Thomson (TUI,Marella whatever) but I'm going again in December.So far, they haven't redeemed themselves well regarding the hurricane situation, i think dozy is the kindest word!

Last year there was at 7 night cruise ti Greece that I liked the look of but couldn't do the dates so I've just looked for 2018.

Soory TUI, those prices are a joke...I'v paid less for Azamara and overnight stops, and they are a real class act.

TUI either don't want to cruise with UK clientele or are going to have to reduce these prices by at least 30%; even if they are all-inclusive,,,TUI all-inclusive isn't the best.

To be fair to TUI, their land based holidays start off very expensive but reduce significantly; thomas cook were the same.

O.k; back now;

Have to say that the all-inclusive package for drinks on Discovery was better than Azamara and could have been enhanced big time by paying £50 per week which is nothing compared to other cruiselines.

Staff still work like dogs to provide a good service and the ex-rcl ships are very impressive in thomson terms!

Still say that they've got their pricing strategy totally wrong for 2018 and the prices will either come down sharply or TUI will be heavily reliant on new-cruisers ( as we were once) or customer loyalty.Even the money-grabbers like RCL and Norwegian are offering all-inclusive and free gratuities to get bottoms on seats; I suspect that 2018 is going to be anothether year where the U.S. market stays in the U.S. and the UK providers will face tough competion.