Cruise Beach Break Options?

lexluthor

We are coming to Roatan on the NCL Getaway 2/20/18. We were in Roatan 2 years ago and had a very nice day at Banarama and might very well go back, but figured that it would be worth seeing if there might be any better/different options.

We are looking for something not much more than a 20 minute ride from port (about same distance as Banarama is fine) and we don't want an all-inclusive. Just a nice beach where we can reserve (preferably ahead of time) transportation, chairs and umbrellas, can order some food and drinks if we want and maybe some water activities available for rental. A few people may want to dive, so if there's a place we can all go to where some people can dive too, even better.

Ideas?

We are coming to Roatan on the NCL Getaway 2/20/18. We were in Roatan 2 years ago and had a very nice day at Banarama and might very well go back, but figured that it would be worth seeing if there might be any better/different options.

We are looking for something not much more than a 20 minute ride from port (about same distance as Banarama is fine) and we don't want an all-inclusive. Just a nice beach where we can reserve (preferably ahead of time) transportation, chairs and umbrellas, can order some food and drinks if we want and maybe some water activities available for rental. A few people may want to dive, so if there's a place we can all go to where some people can dive too, even better.

Ideas?

Bananarama is on the premier beach on the island, if you are looking for that kind of sand and sea...any of the resorts offering day passes would work, as would Bananarama. For that matter, Bananarama has a dive option in their day pass offerings.

Might be leaning at Paradise Beach instead this time. I'm not sure if they had a non AI day pass last time we were there. Seems like they have a pool and supply towels, which are 2 nicer things to have over Bananarama. Otherwise, it's on the same stretch of beach so the places are very similar? Any reason we wouldn't want to do Paradise Beach over Bananarama?

Or maybe Infinity? They don't offer transportation though? I think as a group of 13, we'd prefer avoiding Roatan taxis and probably too big a group for a private driver so the transportation that Bananarama and Paradise offer is a big plus.

Edited by lexluthor

Bananarama is but one resort on West Bay Beach, there are several others.

You can buy the Bananarama package or you can negotiate your own taxi for the day.

The entire beach is public, you can take your own towel and lay out on the sand or you can get a beach chair, sometimes with shade, for about $10.pp from other venues that have beachfront facilities. You can see this marvelous beach quite clearly on Google Earth.

Judging from the number of NCL beach towels we saw the last time we were there, this is where you go if you buy the NCL excursion.

Bananarama is but one resort on West Bay Beach, there are several others.

You can buy the Bananarama package or you can negotiate your own taxi for the day.

The entire beach is public, you can take your own towel and lay out on the sand or you can get a beach chair, sometimes with shade, for about $10.pp from other venues that have beachfront facilities. You can see this marvelous beach quite clearly on Google Earth.

Judging from the number of NCL beach towels we saw the last time we were there, this is where you go if you buy the NCL excursion.

Yes, we've been to Bananarama and had a nice day. I was just wondering if perhaps Paradise, with their pool, might provide a better or even similar, but slightly different experience.

Might be leaning at Paradise Beach instead this time. I'm not sure if they had a non AI day pass last time we were there. Seems like they have a pool and supply towels, which are 2 nicer things to have over Bananarama. Otherwise, it's on the same stretch of beach so the places are very similar? Any reason we wouldn't want to do Paradise Beach over Bananarama?

Or maybe Infinity? They don't offer transportation though? I think as a group of 13, we'd prefer avoiding Roatan taxis and probably too big a group for a private driver so the transportation that Bananarama and Paradise offer is a big plus.

As I said it is six of one-half dozen of the other. Paradise shares a property line with Bananarama. Infinity and Paradise has pool, you can see the sea from the Infinity pool but not the Paradise pool. Mayan Princess also offers day passes and a very cool pool. The beach is all West Bay.... though it maybe Paradise has more beachfront than Infinity and Bananarama.

If snorkeling is the goal, the easy access reef snorkeling would be steps from your lounger at Infinity. Paradise would be the next closest, but the whole of West Bay can be walked in 20 mins so you are never far from anywhere.

If you want a private driver, talk to several of the local tour operators. Those guys are fair hungry and can sort about anything you want.

I do not recommend, as Thinfool has, just going on the fly and plopping down anywhere.. that may work with an adventurist couple but NOT with a group of more than a few. Who wants that kind of stress.

edit, the diver in your group should still be able still sort a dive with Bananarama no matter where your group ends up. Or maybe he could join the Paradise guests if that is your choice.

Infinity has us booked. $19pp includes a welcome drink and chairs and then we can buy whatever else we want and $10pp round trip trans and they say someone will be waiting for us at the pier. They said they only do 25 day passes per day, so it won't be a problem getting chairs/umbrellas.

Sounds good to me!

Infinity has us booked. $19pp includes a welcome drink and chairs and then we can buy whatever else we want and $10pp round trip trans and they say someone will be waiting for us at the pier. They said they only do 25 day passes per day, so it won't be a problem getting chairs/umbrellas.

Sounds good to me!

This is a great price.

I do hope the availability of loungers is to your liking, Infinity is a condo complex first..ahh it is possible many of the guests will find something else to do on a cruise ship day.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds good to me!

That does sound great - How did you get in contact with them to reserve spots?

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds good to me!

Please post your opinion on Infinity. TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 7 months later...

Sounds good to me!

We are interested in going here and wondered if you could tell us how it worked out? I have emailed but they just said to go a kiosk inside the port area for a taxi and I don't feel too comfortable with that because it seemed too vague. We really want our transportation pre-arranged.

We are interested in going here and wondered if you could tell us how it worked out? I have emailed but they just said to go a kiosk inside the port area for a taxi and I don't feel too comfortable with that because it seemed too vague. We really want our transportation pre-arranged.

Good question. Infinity is a beautiful place! Both pool and beach are nice. Facilities are great and the food was good.

As far as the transportation, it was a disaster. We had pre-arranged travel for 12 people through them. We found the driver at the port and were taken to the van. The van was blocked in by another car. Finally the car left, but we couldn't find the driver. We must have sat there for 1-1.5 hours in and around the hot van. Then when we finally got moving, the van probably didn't go over 30 miles per hour and could barely get up the hills. It took us twice as long to get there as it should have.

We wound up with only about 2 hours there. Considering how much we loved the place, it was even more disappointing that it more or less ruined our day.

I think they maybe took $5 or $10pp off, which I recall thinking was low. Stuff happens, but I thought they could have shown a bit more consideration.

I'm pretty adventurous with our excursions and almost all the time we've wound up having a better experience than if we booked through the cruise line, but this one really failed us.

I should also note that, the year prior, we had done the same trip, but to Bananarama and had no issues with the transportation. Infinity is definitely nicer though (esp if you value the pool too).

There are lots of taxis when you do get out, but I've heard stories about them being unregulated there, so I really wanted to avoid taxis.

We are here now! They pre-arranged the transportation and told us to meet at Kiosk #7. We were supposed to go with a family of four we contacted through our roll call but they didn’t attend the meet and greet and we didn’t have their cabin number. Through Infinity Bay, we learned they planned on meeting at 8:30. We didn’t want to leave until 9:30 so I emailed back the night before and told Infinity we’d come by ourselves. They said just go to kiosk 7 it’s all arranged.

We found kiosk 7 easily. They said it would be a 10 minute wait for a group they were expecting and we could wait in an air conditioned van. After 10 minutes we noticed all the other vans were blocking ours in. After 20 minutes the driver backed up the van and another van blocked us in. At this point we were like, oh no sir. Then a man wearing an Infinity Bay shirt said there was another couple they just solicited and he personally would drive us in the boss’s girlfriend’s van. All told, we didn’t get underway for about a half hour after we left the ship.

We left the pier at 9:50 and were paid and in our chairs by 10:20. The beach and pool and Resort is absolutely beautiful. The only downside and it’s not the resorts fault is the ship’s all aboard is 3:30 so we’re leaving around 2. I could stay here all day.

Our driver was very fast! In fact we were a little scared around some of the turns. But he walked us in when we got here and took us right to Esmeralda on the beach. It was $20 pp for Infinity Bay and we paid $20 for the taxi ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our driver was very fast! In fact we were a little scared around some of the turns. But he walked us in when we got here and took us right to Esmeralda on the beach. It was $20 pp for Infinity Bay and we paid $20 for the taxi ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was that $20 each way for the taxi for two or $20 pp return in a shared van?

we are sailing on the getaway on August 19 and were wondering the best way to reserve the package that includes taxi and beach accommodations. Looking to get your feedback. Thank you so much!

If you are considering West Bay, have a look at this thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2607525