7-person Taxi in Vancouver

mommamiller04

Hello! We are leaving on an Alaskan cruise on August 14th out of Vancouver. I contacted Vancouver International Airport and asked if they had taxis to accommodate my family of 6. They said they do - and we could all fit in a 7-person taxi paying the one $31 fee - but our luggage would also have to fit or we would need to take 2 taxis. My question is how much luggage it actually holds. We would have 2 large suitcases and 3 carry ons. Does anyone have any experience with these taxis and how much they will hold? Just trying to budget accordingly. Thank you!!

...but our luggage would also have to fit or we would need to take 2 taxis. My question is how much luggage it actually holds. We would have 2 large suitcases and 3 carry ons.

Honestly, that does sound like a two-cab situation. I'm sure the person wasn't just trying to sell you on two cabs - realistically, you won't all fit.

We do not have Uber here. It sounds like you are going straight from the airport to the pier, yes? Someone here might suggest taking the Skytrain, but with that many people and bags, I personally wouldn't attempt it.

Last year I used a company called Aerocar from YVR to downtown Vancouver. They are stationed right outside of the exit doors from the airport arrival hall. We actually used them for a total of three rides and each car was immaculate, the drivers were dressed nicely (in suits) and they didn't drive like maniacs. We were in a long wheelbase Lincoln Towncars but they also have Suburban and Escalades (the long versions) that would appear to hold 7 passengers - front passenger seat plus two rows of three passengers each. In looking at their website they also have vans if necessary. There should be plenty of room for all your luggage. Do a Google search for their website. It's not inexpensive but not outrageous either - considering how much you're already spending on a cruise, flights, etc. this would be a drop in the bucket. We arrived the day prior on two separate flights 5-hours apart so that was two rides (I added a meet & greet for my shipmate so she wouldn't have to look too hard for her driver...) then the next day they picked us up at our hotel for the third ride to the dock. I would ABSOLUTELY use them again. Excellent service.

^I'd also consider Aerocar instead of a cab - while it might be a bit pricier than 2 cabs for a large enough vehicle to get you all inside (pricing is $93+5% tax for an up-to-8-pax vehicle so a hair over the price of 3 cabs) it is more expensive... but would be fancier if your budget stretches!

As to a 7 person cab, I can honestly say I've never seen a single one ever - even 6pax cabs are extraordinarily rare as every minivan I've ever seen is set up as a dedicated wheelchair transport and the vast majority of these seat no more than 5pax. Even if you did find a 7-seater you'd need a second cab for most of your luggage.

So if you're planning to pootle around the city further than you can walk, and don't like taking transit, I would continue to assume 2 cabs would be needed all the time. Taxi apps do not guarantee more than 4 seats so you have to call and book a 5+ minivan at the best of times, and some local providers even lie through their teeth and say they're not allowed to despatch a minivan to you just in case they're needed for someone in a wheelchair - at least one local area poster has been screwed over this way every time she's tried to book.

• I would get into the taxi line.
  • wait for a minivan to show up, if you see regular Prius's.... then let the guy behind fill it. Usually a minivan will show up within 5 minutes.
  • when the minivan shows up..... load it full with luggage and passengers. What does not fill up, get the Prius behind it as overflow. This will be cheaper or about the same price as Aerocar.
  • airport has a mix of regular Prius, Prius V and minivans. Cost is the same $31/$35 to downtown.