Best Places to Buy Salmon

NewCruiser10

We will be doing a Cruise-tour with Princess starting on August 13th. We are flying into Anchorage a day before the tour begins. We will be staying at Captain Cook Hotel and in the Denali and Mt.McKinley Princess Lodges. The ports on the cruise are Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. After the cruise we will spend a few days in Vancouver.

I would like to purchase both salmon and smoked salmon to bring home/ship home for friends and family. I would appreciate any and all suggestions as to where the best places/ports are to purchase these items. Thanks in advance for your thoughts! :D

We will be doing a Cruise-tour with Princess starting on August 13th. We are flying into Anchorage a day before the tour begins. We will be staying at Captain Cook Hotel and in the Denali and Mt.McKinley Princess Lodges. The ports on the cruise are Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. After the cruise we will spend a few days in Vancouver.

I would like to purchase both salmon and smoked salmon to bring home/ship home for friends and family. I would appreciate any and all suggestions as to where the best places/ports are to purchase these items. Thanks in advance for your thoughts! :D

Just make sure to declare to Canadian Customs anything you don't ship home and bring into Vancouver with you... just in case they are having a bad day lol!:o

I'm a long time fan of Taku Smokery in Juneau and always bring home their products. But, I've also had excellent "Alaskan" smoked salmon- Sockeye my go to, from Walmart. Great snack with Ritz crackers. :)

I have to second Taku fishery in Juneau. They are located right where most of the ships dock and they will ship their products to your home or any other address. We have been buying salmon and halibut from them for over 10 years.

When you buy the smoked salmon is it already pre-sliced?

different kind of "smoked" , I buy the fully cooked type- either in cans or vacuum packed- fall apart pieces. The raw kind has to be refrigerated.?

To be perfectly honest, get it at your local Costco when you get home (they have Norwegian and Alaskan Sockeye.) The retort packaged (cooked) smoked salmon is probably available at one of your local grocery stores. As for cold smoked salmon, the level of care that is required to transport it on various forms of transportation over a period of time, is really not worth the risk. You don't want your friends to be saying that they managed to survive the lox/lachs that you brought them from Alaska ... ;p

As for totally raw salmon it's really not even worth considering.

I would not purchase fresh salmon to ship home. I just don't think it is practical and honestly you would do better getting salmon at your home store.

For smoked salmon any of the places mentioned is fine. You'll see it everywhere. As someone who enjoyed smoked salmon whatever you get at home will be just as tasty IMHO. But if you want a souvenir for friends and family members that is certainly an option. In our case we try to find something for family members that is hand crafted in Alaska for the family members.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Keith

I would not purchase fresh salmon to ship home. I just don't think it is practical and honestly you would do better getting salmon at your home store.

For smoked salmon any of the places mentioned is fine. You'll see it everywhere. As someone who enjoyed smoked salmon whatever you get at home will be just as tasty IMHO. But if you want a souvenir for friends and family members that is certainly an option. In our case we try to find something for family members that is hand crafted in Alaska for the family members.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Keith

Agree. We saw the best prices in Seattle (but not cheap), but still $45 to ship.